December 2013 Moms

Scratching herself

DD has been struggling with eczema on her legs and arms for a few months now. I've been trying to only bath her every three days, lather her up with Vaseline or Aveno eczema lotion multiple times a day. I use the gentle laundry detergent. The past month she has been scratching her lower back/upper bottom area to the point where she has scanned scratch marks all over :( I keep putting lotion on that area and keep her nails short but it doesn't help. She has been getting diaper rash more frequently lately too. I have changed diaper brands to see it that would help but it doesn't. The nurse at the pediatricians office said it probably just dry skin. I just feel so bad that she is so itchy that she is cutting herself and leaving marks that may even scar. :( any other tips I could be doing? Tia!

Re: Scratching herself

• Cetphacil antibacterial soap works wonders for my kids eczema. Aquaphor is great too. Greasy so put it on at night then out clothes on right away.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • chemily8chemily8 member
    edited February 2015
    They also can give you a prescription for eczema. I would only use it if you absolutely must though, the doctor said it thins the skin which sounds crazy to me. One of those risk out weighs the benefits type things.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • DesignermommaDesignermomma member
    edited February 2015
    Both my DSs have eczema. It's been really bad lately. I've tried all different kinds of lotions but none really seem to help. I use aquifer bath soap. A dermatologist told me not to use dryer sheets and that helped quite a bit with my oldest but the baby is flaring up like crazy. Don't know if its just the dry winter or what.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • The other suggestions are good ones. Also try adding baking soda to the bath water.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We've battled that too.  Nothing has been a miracle, but Aquaphor as helped the most!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"