May 2015 Moms
Options

Nesting Activities?

Hello ladies!

I know I haven't been very active on here so I'll give a short intro before I get to my topic. I'm 24, DH is 26, we've been married 2.5 years and were TTC for 1.5. Found out we were KU during initial blood testing for fertility treatments. Baby is due May 7th, gender unknown (on purpose! Lol)

Now on to my question! I am starting to get serious nesting urges but due to conflicting events I haven't been able to have a shower yet. My shower is over a month away but I seriously NEED to do SOMETHING to prep for this baby. What activities/organization have you done to get ready for your bundle of joy? What purchases did you make on your own/pre-shower? Any ideas to help scratch this nesting itch would be appreciated!

Me: 24  DH: 26

Sept 2012 - Married Love of My Life

AO, possible PCOS

TTC for 15 months - Success!!!

Due Date: May 6, 2015

DS induced April 27, 2015 - Hypertension

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Nesting Activities?

• Options
    I'm purging stuff to Goodwill and working on cute storage space.
  • Options
    We didn't register for any nursery furniture, so I spent a good amount of time looking around for those items.  We ended up purchasing a used crib and a dresser that both needed to be refinished.  I started working on that about two months ago and worked on it as weather allowed and when I wasn't too tired.  I just finished the dresser last night and I just have to do some finish sanding on the crib and then I'll be done.  I'm also planning on making the crib skirt and rail guard, but not sure when I'll get started on that.  My shower is in 2.5 weeks, so I think I'll survive until then. :)
    Newest blog post 4/23/15
    Anniversary

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Have you painted or figured out your nursery decor? We converting our second bedroom/office into a nursery, so most of our time has been spent purging, moving things to storage, and trying to get all of our stuff in order before adding a bunch of baby stuff. We're also painting the walls, and picking out a few cute art pieces for the baby's room, and figuring out a furniture arrangement, all prior to having a shower.
    ***First-time Mom in New York City | Married 8.16.13 | Expected Due Date 5.29.15***

• Options
    Showers aren't really the norm here so I've just been sticking decals on the nursery walls, making lists of stuff left to buy and organising the kitchen cupboards.

That being said, I'm so busy at work in the run up to handing over to my cover, that I haven't felt the urge much!
  • Options

my nesting has urge has only just started. Which I have started to organize the kitchen so I will have spot to put all the baby stuff.

We aren't having a shower until after the baby is born. We are doing one with men and women and using it as meet the baby as well as shower.

I know I have lots of urges to do more cleaning which I am sure I will get around to, I still need to paint the dresser we are using and finish setting up the nursery so that stuff will keep me busy.

• Options
    Just started nesting. Purged my storage unit of 8 years, started obsessing over the perfect nursery rug, filed my 2014 taxes...and I'm convinced I need to hire a professional to come in and clean the house from ceiling to baseboards to ensure baby has a spotless environment to come home to.
  • Options
    I'm doing a ton of organizing, purging and culling too. It feels great! An since we will be moving to a new state in the months after baby comes, it Makes a lot of sense. I'm going to have professional cleaners come sanitize the house a few weeks before the due date. My underlying reason is that my MIL will not have anything to scoff at. She hates that we have indoor pets and had been on a campaign to get them ousted. I say had because my husband didnt have her visit last summer because of her behavior and the ill will she built up on her previous stay. Thank you DH!!!
  • Options
    My first pregnancy I organized baby stuff and also cleaning that doesn't get done often. I cleaned out all our kitchen cabinets, organized, and purged.
    Unless you are a neat freak, baby will most likely take priority over cleaning so get any cleaning done now that may get get pushed down the list of priorities. That was true for me.

• Options
    My shower is also over a month away but I've found it helpful to make lists of what we need other than what we have on our registries. At least that way I feel like my mind is organized. I've also been purchasing a box of diapers every two weeks or so. We have a pretty good stash already. Just make sure you keep receipts.
  • Options
    My DH has wanted to wait until after shower too and I was like no, I need to start preparing. We have bought crib, pack and play, carseat and plan on getting glider. We are getting new carpet put in the room that will now be shared by two and after that I will be able to start working on space for our baby. I made sure registry is up to date, etc, etc lol.
  • Options
    I bought all the furniture already and have that set up. I also clean like a mad woman. That's pretty much it though. The rest of my nesting activities will take place after my showers are over after the 22nd.

• Options
    I second those who have said they've started purging! Our now nursery was previously a room used for storage, so I've been making quite a few trips to the goodwill and doing a lot of deep cleaning in preparation for baby. DH has painted and put furniture together. Not much other nesting besides that. 
  • Options
    Are you crafty? Is there something you could make for baby?! That's what I do so I don't go splurging on things I may get as a gift. However I still feel productive like I'm putting an effort towards getting ready for baby :smile: lately I painted a tree on the nursery wall, made wall hangings for more decoration, and also made a quilt!
  • Options
    These are all great ideas! Unfortunately we just finished building our house and we have a room pre-designated for a nursery so it's already painted. I've done a few crafty things like artwork for the walls, handmade dreamcatcher mobile, etc. I would love to get the furniture all set up but my in-laws are buying the crib and my MIL really wants to save it for the shower. I may do some sewing and make a set of curtains for the nursery. Come on shower! Mama needs to nest! Lol

Me: 24  DH: 26

Sept 2012 - Married Love of My Life

AO, possible PCOS

TTC for 15 months - Success!!!

Due Date: May 6, 2015

DS induced April 27, 2015 - Hypertension

• Options
    I'm doing 40 bags in 40 days challenge because we just have too much stuff! ( https://www.whitehouseblackshutters.com/40-bags-in-40-days-2015/ )
  • Options
    Clear space for baby storage in designated areas around your new home, like punkycat said she is doing in the kitchen.  You can take notes as to what will go where.  Maybe you need a storage system for the baby's closet, or you need to figure out what will go in each drawer.  There are plenty of other places in the house that will require baby stuff (which of course you have to wait until you get it all at your baby shower) that you can start writing down a plan for where you want to keep stuff.  You could get ahead of yourself and baby-proof, too!  **Just brainstorming!!!**

You're so lucky to have a new, freshly painted house.  Sounds like most of us May mothers have been going through THE PURGE, cleaning, and making storage room ready.  You have most of that covered, so enjoy it!  And fantasize about where the nursery furniture your MIL buys for you is going to go!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"