April 2015 Moms
Options

failed 1 hour glucose test so I'm doing the 3 hour one. Fasting number was 78

Ugh. Did it wrong.....fasting number was 78. Is that good or bad? Anyone know what happens next?

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    I am not sure what you are asking, but a fasting blood sugar of 78 is normal.

I too have failed the one hour with all four pregnancies and went on to pass the 3 hour. Personal I feel the one hour is pointless for me and I plan to just do the three from the start next time.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Bring someone with you if you can for the 3 hour test. I failed the 1 hour test and then failed again for the 3 hour test. Just stay positive and you'll get through it!
  • Options
    So I made it through the 3 hour test, felt like crap though. My hubby came back to get me. He doesn't do well in doctors offices or the hospital.
    Sorry half of my question didn't go through on this. I'm just wondering what besides Gestational diabetes could be the issue. Or is it common to fail these tests? Do I just need to adjust my diet to add more protein and iron maybe? I think I read somewhere it could also mean I'm going to have a large baby. Which is okay (I hope!). My 11 yo weighed 6.11
  • Options
    These are all questions that your doctor will answer for you, if the test comes back positive for GD. There's a GD check-in here on the board as well.
  • Options
    I can only answer from my own experience. I think they set the criteria for the one hour test very low, so they don't miss any possible GD cases. So it is not uncommon for someone to fail the one hour and go on to pass the three hour. As I mentioned above I have failed the one hour 4 times and passed the three hour all four times. It has never been recommended to me to change my diet after passing the three hour. Now if you fail the three hour that is a different situation. My babies have ranged in size from 8lb 5 oz at 40w, 6lb 14 oz at 38w, to 7lb 10oz at 37w. So no it does not mean you will have a big baby.
  • Options
    I failed both tests and have been diagnosed with Gestational diabetes. So far they ask me to check my fasting sugar and once every hour after each meal. I snack in between each meal as well and have a meal plan that consists of low carbs for snacks and about 2-3 servings of carbs at meals (which isn't bad). So far it's being managed just by my meal planning and I actually eat more frequently. They hope that because I've managed it so well on adjusting my diet that it should go away after birth. Overall, it's more protein and not as much carb. The worse is fruit is considered a carb and it can give me high numbers (over 120). I learned if I have them for my snacks I'm good. I even found a good low-carb ice cream that works for me! They did say the concern is that baby could be bigger if not treated but worse is the baby could have low blood sugar when born because they are producing so much insulin to combat high blood sugar and all of a sudden you cut the cord but they are still producing a lot of insulin. My highest number has been 138 (once) in two weeks so overall it hasn't been bad for me and all that's important is he's safe.
  • Options
    The 1 hour test does have a low cut-off to help them catch everyone who might have issues. However, the 3 hour limits are two times the standard deviation of normal blood sugar levels so if you fail the three hour, you for sure have GD. And the large baby concern is mostly because they often have larger than average torsos which can make them difficult to deliver vaginally. Their shoulders can actually become stuck and even fracture so it's not the best scenario. Our GD check-in is on Sundays so if you end up being diagnosed please join in! Feel free to ask any questions you may have. Also, if you google GD diet there are tone of resources that show you how to eat. You will also likely be referred to a nutritionist to help you make the necessary adjustments.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"