November 2014 Moms
Options

What do you do all day?

NLJ82NLJ82 member
edited February 2015 in November 2014 Moms

For you SAHMs...I'm curious about your daily "routine". Grayson is 4 1/2 months now (but, as a preemie, apparently he's behaving as a 3 1/2 month baby). I'm worried that I'm not doing enough with him through the day. In the times that he's not fussing, eating or needing something, I often take that time to just chill for myself, but that never lasts too long. I know he doesn't understand the words necessarily, but I read to him on occasion, he hates tummy time, but I lay him on my chest and try to get those muscles moving. He's just barely grabbing onto things now but doesn't have much coordination with them, so basically once he's got ahold of it...he drops it, therefore he's not really playing with toys. He doesn't roll over, isn't laughing out loud yet, but has mostly mastered holding his head up. I'm worried that I'm not doing all I can to help him learn and progress and with him being a preemie it's very frustrating seeing babies his age (through fb) pass him up with various milestones. I, first off, don't know if all of this is normal behavior/milestones for someone his age but I'm wondering what I can/should be doing with him through out the day.

This FTM still freaks out about everything apparently.

AAAAANNNDD sorry if this is a repetitive post. I tried to scroll through and see if I was reposting crap. I'm so out of the loop :(

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: What do you do all day?

• Options
    Hi :) first of all don't be so hard on yourself this motherhood thing is nuts and it's perfectly normal to feel overwhelmed! I totally relate as a first time SAHM myself. So one thing that my three month old really loves is dancing and moving to music. I lay her on a blanket in her room, turn up the toddler tunes and lift her legs up and around in circles and then I lean over her and rock her back and forth and she is all smiles! We do this a couple of times of days and she really responds well to it. She too dislikes tummy time so it's a good way to kind of transition into it I roll her into her tummy after "dancing" for awhile. Check out Itsy Bitsy yoga too it has a lot of "yoga" positions you can do with the baby that can get him moving, I hope this helps! Take care! :)
  • Options
    Our 3 month old has recently taken a liking to TV, so we set her in her chair & she'll watch about 20 min of Baby Einstein videos on YouTube. I can at least get a couple loads of laundry folded in that time, and I feel like it's educational television.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I've been wondering about this lately too. Since it is SO COLD out I don't want to take my 3 month old out much. I take time each day to play with her toys, put her in her bouncer, use the play mat, etc. I feel like we're both restless and bored. Any other suggestions? She also hates tummy time.
  • Options
    As a fellow mom of a premie I totally understand how you feel. 

I started tummy time with the Boppy first this way BG wasn't just laying flat on the floor.  I did start incorporating the play mat until BG was 2 months old.  Have you tried one of those play mats with a mirror for tummy time?  I feel like my little girl tolerated tummy time a little longer when she was looking at herself in the mirror.  I did a lot of tummy time with my little girl on my chest and me laying on the floor.  I also would do tummy time on the couch and I would sit on the floor in front of BG so she could see me.  Once BG got fussy I would stop tummy time so she would not associate it with something bad. 

Keep working on it.  My doctor has told me that every baby is different and not to compare too much with other babies.  As long as your doctor is not worried you are fine.  You are doing a great job!
  • Options
    Every baby is different. you sound like you're doing great! Taking time for yourself is just fine and absolutely needed to keep your sanity. Reading and singing to baby are great. My 3 month old loves to hear me sing the ABCs. She even starts to babble with me mid way through. She HATES tummy time. She'd rather sit in her Bumbo chair. She also likes to watch short videos of herself that I've recorded on my cell phone. I do prop her in front of the TV for about 5-10 min. She likes The bright colors and cutesy talk. Don't stress over "milestones" unless your doctor seems concerned. He'll get there in his own sweet time! :)
  • Options
    Check out your local library. Ours has baby lapsits and we have been going. He loves to look at the other kids and it's fun to get out of the house.
  • Options
    So happy to read this post and not feel like I am the only one! My little guy is almost 4 months and I am not used to be a SAHM just yet. I find myself trying to keep him entertained but not sure what I should be doing with him.  Usually we use his play gym for a while, read a book, do tummy time, and recently we just started using the jumper for short periods of time. Feed him, nap, repeat. haha. I wish is was warmer so I could take him for walks more or to the store. We are getting cabin fever!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"