Babies on the Brain

Any Teachers TTC? Timing?

I also posted this on the TTC board, but I'm not sure which is most appropriate...

Hello! I know that you can't "plan" when you get pregnant because it can be unpredictable, but I am wondering when other teachers are starting to TTC.  Obviously, a baby born any time is a wonderful surprise, but in a job where maternity leave is limited, I would love to try to time things in order to have the most time home with a new baby without using up all of my vacation/sick leave.

My insurance allows me to get pregnant as soon as May 1, but a baby conceived at that time would be due in Feb. (Which would mean covering 14 weeks of maternity leave before summer break starts). Ideally, I'd love an early May (or even late April) due date. I know things can take time, and I'll be just coming off the BCpill which I know can slow things down. What do you think? Start TTC in May and go with the flow if it happens right away, or hold off?

On the plus side, I'd much rather have an early baby, return to work for a couple of weeks and have the summer off again than have to have the baby in Sept. and come right back to work in a few weeks. What are other teachers thinking?

Re: Any Teachers TTC? Timing?

• I am a teacher and I am considering a third. I am thinking a May due date. A years unpaid leave. Then the summer and return to work in August. That gives me 15 months with baby.
  • I figured I'd respond to you on here since the other thread turned into a political attack for whatever reason.

Since I'm ineligible for short term disability (I have trigeminal neuralgia, totally unrelated to pregnancy... I really hate insurance) I am just trying to rack up as much sick leave as humanly possible.  I'm hoping to have 4 weeks of sick leave built up and then *tryyy* to time it so that I give birth roughly a month prior to the end of the school year.  I'd rather miss the end of the school year than the beginning.  That way I can instruct students in person what they will need to do, and they already know my rules and procedures.  I'd hate to miss the beginning of the year and barely know the students when I returned.
  • Loading the player...
  • We are thinking about TTC in May as well for a February due date. I have short term disability insurance and my school gets out the second week in May. If I had a baby sometime from Feb-May I could have 3-5ish months off paid.

I wouldn't like a beginning of the year due date personally because I think the transition for my students as well as myself coming back would be very difficult.
    Me (26) DH (28)
    Married 6.22.13
    Hoping for a Herd Linky
    4/15--TTC #1
    12/15--IF testing
    3/16--Dx Unexplained IF
    Clomid + Ovidrel + IUI + Progesterone cycle
    Cancelled due to cysts. Started 3 weeks of BCP.
    4/16--Cute Ute! Clomid+Ovidrel+IUI+Progesterone TI.
    Cancelled-no response
    5/16--Hemmorhagic cyst and other cyst discovered.
    No medicated cycle. MRI scheduled to rule out
    septate uterus.
    6/16--Septum discovered. Consultation for surgery.
    Surprise BFP 6/8/16--EDD 2/13/17
    Kole David--1.7.17--Tiny but Mighty, born at 34+5 after HELLP syndrome
    Chart Stalk Me

• Thanks guys. It's good to hear others are thinking along the same lines as I am. I am a big planner, and it's stressful to do something that is so out of my hands!
  • I also read the post on the TTC page and just couldn't believe the responses. I am also a teacher and totally wondering the same thing! My dr just told me to go off birth control for at least two months before TTC and to be on prenatal vitamins for three months so I am just starting those this week. I would love to get pregnant in July to have a April due date but will be thankful any time between May-aug, I also don't want to miss the beginning of the year but if it happens then it happens. People say don't try to plan it out because things never go to plan but if you can try to plan why not?
  • I was following your post on the TTGP board and am happy to see an overall positive climate here! 

I keep saying I want a baby the end of the school year, but ultimately, I'll be happy whenever it happens. It does make me nervous to think about missing critical time with my students during the beginning to middle of the year, though. 

If you are successful at planning when to conceive, more power to you :)

Good luck! 
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    TTC #1 - Nov '14
    BFP 2/3/16  EDD 10/16/16
    DS born 10/18

LFAF: Frankly Disturbing
  • TNChick said:

I am a teacher and I am considering a third. I am thinking a May due date. A years unpaid leave. Then the summer and return to work in August. That gives me 15 months with baby.

BTW this year off thing is interesting to me.  Did you do this for your previous babes?  I don't think DH and I could handle the loss of wages, but I would love to hear your experience with it if you've done it before.  Did your school find a good long term sub?  Was it hard to dive back in when you returned after being gone for so long?

Thanks!
  • When we were trying for our son, we figured we'd start with teacher timing and then if it took longer, well then it took longer. We got pregnant in August with a mid-May due date. Our son had other plans and was born at 36 weeks. His birthday is April 23. After my 6 weeks, I had to go back for about 3 weeks or so (we end the last week of June). Whatever you decide to do, is ultimately up to you and your husband. A bit of a bump my husband and I originally hit was he wanted to plan according to teacher timing and if it didn't happen within the "perfect months" he wanted to stop and wait until the next year. I made it completely clear that I was not ok with that and that it could take a healthy couple a year, etc. and after a few discussions, we agreed that we would start with teacher timing and just continue until we conceived. 

Good Luck!
    -=- Tara -=-

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
    DIStickerscom Ticker
  • I am a teacher and hubby and I are going to starting TTC next month. I'm assuming we won't see a BFP right away but even if we do I decided it would be better to miss the end of the year. That way if I wanted to extend my leave unpaid, it would give me maximum time with baby!

Good luck with your decision and TTC!
    Anniversary

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I was also following your old post and it was nonsense. I'm glad to see actual teacher posting here and answering your question appropriately. 

I am a teacher, too! I have a step child and am planning one and done so I would give anything to have the absolute most time possible with baby-to-be.  I went of the BCP in December and we are planning to start TTC in April (ideally getting pregnant by June/July). I have short term disability but I also will have enough sick time to take a 12 week maternity leave if granted. Good luck to you! I know a lot of my teacher friends think this way too and there is nothing wrong with trying to plan it this way at all! 
  • I have not done it before (I was a sahm until my youngest was 2), but I am considering a third and taking 1 year is common in my district. They hire an interim teacher to have your class for your year. It is, however, unpaid. We can swing it, so it is worth it to have the time with the baby.
  • I am a teacher, I am hoping to time mine too, we will start trying this Aug, hoping to have my 1st after state testing. I am hoping for a May or early June baby. I am not on BC and my period is very regular so I am hoping it works out okay. I am worried about getting coverage though, we have a hard time just getting subs for one day.

Married to my Soul Mate since 09/06/09

BabyFruit Ticker

MC 10.23.15 @ 10 weeks
  • I'm a teacher, too, and just want to say from personal experience that it is sooo hard to plan the timing. It took 6 months to conceive my first. It only took a few months to conceive again after him, but I ended up having two miscarriages. My second son ended up being born a whole seven months after my first miscarriage's due date, in November instead of April. I totally did not want to plan a fall baby for multiple reasons, but that's just how it turned out. Keep in mind that if you start trying when it would be perfect timing, there's a good chance your baby will be born after that.
    Baby Boy #1 born on 3/21/08 
    BFP 8/2/10 (3w5d); No more heartbeat on 8/30/10 (7w4d); D&C on 9/2/10 (8w) - Baby Boy with Triploidy
    BFP 12/3/10 (4w2d); Natural miscarriage 12/12/10 (5w4d) - Unknown cause
    Diagnosed with Compound Heterozygous MTHFR
    BFP 3/9/11; Baby Boy #2 born on 11/7/11
    Currently TTC Baby #3

• My husband is a teacher.  We thought about waiting until May/June to TTC.  But decided against it.  Like @red727 mentioned, it most likely won't happen the first month, but if it does, GREAT!  If not our timing may work out...You just never know how long it will take.  Good luck ladies!  
  • My daughter was a September baby. I set up my classroom and had about 2 weeks with my students. It wasn't easy! I took 6 weeks off.
    My son was a January baby. I took 8 weeks and returned after spring break.
    Timing never worked for me! I was happy every moment I had home with them.
  • I am a licensed teacher, actually turned in my resignation to become a temporary SAHM after a rough first year back to teaching when we couldn't find childcare for our son. . . .Anyways, we totally planned it also. Obviously you never can be sure when you'll get pregnant but I charted my cycle to increase our chances and we got pregnant the second month we tried. My LMP was on July 31. I had my son on May 10. It was soooo great to have the whole summer off with him and was also relieved to make it through state testing in the classroom before I went on maternity leave. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"