October 2014 Moms

Fractured clavicle...helmets...rolling over???

Hi moms! My son will be 4 months on the 23rd. he was born with a fractured clavicle and it healed after 5 weeks. He now favors turning his head to 1 side and has a flat spot on his head because of this. I've been working with him to turn his head and put him on his side for naps and everything is improving slowly. He hasn't rolled over yet and hates tummy time also. Just looking for some advice/support on any of this. We see his pediatrician next week and he has mentioned in the past physical therapy for his neck and a helmet for the flat spot. I know he is behind because of his clavicle. When did your babies start rolling over?

Re: Fractured clavicle...helmets...rolling over???

• My daughter is 4 months old and has torticollis which has given her a flat spot. She also has plagiocephaly which makes her head a little misshapen. She has been in physical therapy since she was 4 weeks old to stretch out her neck and we have to give her head time to round out. She is just now getting interested in rolling over and tries all the time. She's done it a couple times.

Our pedi won't address possibly needing a helmet until 6 months old so right now it's important to keep DD off her back as much as possible.

• A chiropractic appointment might also help. Depending on the severity, you may need a few. Even though my LO doesn't have either issues, I know that when babies are born they tend to favor one side, and that can aid in not being able to have the full range of motion. It might be worth a look into, as well as keeping up your work with him.
  • Loading the player...
  • It's a muscle issue, not a bone or alignment issue.  See a physical therapist, not a chiropractor. 
    Loss Blog (finally updated)

imageimage
    5 cycles of "TTC" - 3 intentional, 2 not so intentional.  5 BFPs.  My rainbow arrived 10/15/14.
    TFMC 08.02.13 at 19+ weeks. Everyday I grieve for my little Olive.

• edited February 2015
    babypann said:
    Hi moms! My son will be 4 months on the 23rd. he was born with a fractured clavicle and it healed after 5 weeks. He now favors turning his head to 1 side and has a flat spot on his head because of this. I've been working with him to turn his head and put him on his side for naps and everything is improving slowly. He hasn't rolled over yet and hates tummy time also. Just looking for some advice/support on any of this. We see his pediatrician next week and he has mentioned in the past physical therapy for his neck and a helmet for the flat spot. I know he is behind because of his clavicle. When did your babies start rolling over?
    Also, not rolling from back to tummy at 4 months does not mean that he missed a milestone.  Not rolling at 4 months is still considered normal development.  Your pedi may have an issue at 5 months, but at 4 months it's considered within normal behavior.
    Loss Blog (finally updated)

imageimage
    5 cycles of "TTC" - 3 intentional, 2 not so intentional.  5 BFPs.  My rainbow arrived 10/15/14.
    TFMC 08.02.13 at 19+ weeks. Everyday I grieve for my little Olive.

• Our LO also favored looking to one side and got a mild flat spot from it. I read to lay them in the crib so the side they favor is toward the wall, I guess they don't like to look at the wall and will turn their head the other way. Worked for us!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"