Breastfeeding
Options

*update: trying to get supply back...

MKateGMKateG member
edited February 2015 in Breastfeeding
UPDATE* I woke up for babies 6am feeding engorged! I haven't felt engorged in about a week and a half. I thought it would take much longer for supply to come back. But I really hit it hard the past two days and I'm so happy that I can BF again. The past two feedings I have EBF and babies are satisfied! :-) thank you all for your support! (Now im going to call that LC and surprise her since she wasn't optimistic about it coming back fully!)

I posted this on another forum but just wanted to see if anyone over here had any experience/support/advice to share. This will be a long story so sorry in advance. I have 6 week old twins and started breastfeeding with open mind to pumping and
Supplimenting if needed. It started out great but two days after being discharged from hospital I went back with boggy uterus and took medication that I was told I needed to stop bf for 24hours after my last dose. So I wentabout two days not bf just pumping and dumping. My supply decreased despite my pumping every 2-3 hours. After that my babies picked up where they left off. I did have to supplement while I got my supply back up but it did come back and I actually started to produce. Well then my babies and I got the thrush. My nipples were sore and itchy and I was having shooting pains in my breast. I got so upset I said forget it ill just stop bf. Which now I know was the worst thing to think. The icing on the cake to making me give up was I figured out my milk was soured (like freshly expressed), the only thing I figure is I put vinegar on my nipples to help with thrush (as I read online, I shouldn't have followed that advice!). So I had to throw out milk I had stored in fridge brigade all of it was bad. I started giving them more formula and pumping and giving some bm also. But I let myself get engorged and didn't pump like I should for a couple days. I then got clogged ducts my pump wouldn't relive so I started bf a few times per day while also still pumping. Now I regret ever stopping bf and want to get back to exclusively giving my babies bm. But my supply had gone from 6oz per pumping session to just 2! I no longer feel full between feedings and it takes about 3 to 4 hours to start to feel full. I started bf again today. My babies latch fine but get mad when they are hungry and milk isn't flowing. Im just going to try to put them to the breast as often as possible. But I called LC and she didn't sound very optimistic about my supply coming back fully. Im crushed. I've cried all afternoon since speaking to LC and feel so stupid for giving up on a bad day. If anyone has support our advice to offer I would greatly appreciate it.

*loss and BFP mentioned*
Me: Endo & No Tubes 
DH: perfect!
IVF#1 (Sept 2013) Long Lupron Protocol
           17 retrieved, 15 fert, 1 perfect blast trans, 10 frozen
            BFP--Ended-- Blighted Ovum
FET#2 Tentative Sched: Start meds CD1=Feb 1, ET= Feb 19-20
          One Grade 4AA Blast transferred, 5dpt- BFP HPT, 6dpt- line darker
          Beta #1- 50, Beta #2- 30
          BFN- Chemical preg
FET#3 CD1-4/11, start Injections on CD13, ET scheduled- 4/29
         CD12 u/s & bw- Lining 8.7, estrogen 335, cleared for ET in one week!
         CD19 ET- Two Grade 4AA Blast transferred one with assisted hatching
         4dpt- POAS = BFP!....POAS everyday after = DARKER! FX!
         Beta #1- 703!  Beta #2- 4,004! 
         First U/S, 5wk0d- TWO gest sacs, Both with yolk sacs and a fetal pole both measuring 3d ahead!
((Thank you LORD, praying these LO grow, grow, grow!)) 
**Due date Jan 14th- Boy/Girl twins**

imageimage

Re: *update: trying to get supply back...

• Options
    First of all don't beat yourself up since I was in a similar situation. Second here is what I was told. Consistency is key, your supply will come in a couple days if you keep it up. I am pumping about four times a day for 15-20 minutes, I don't pump at night. I am staying slightly ahead of my DD and just freezing the rest. To help your supply try mothers milk tea, fenugreek, oatmeal and try to eat healthy for your babies.
    Baby #1 MC November 2007
    Baby #2 MC June 2008
    Baby #3 Born April 2009
    Baby #4 due date February 2015

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    Thank you so much for that! I really thought the LC would give me a pep talk but I just felt worse after taking to her because she said my supply could or could not come back. I started fenugreek today and have been drinking tons of water, bf my babies any time they want to suck and pumping as much as possible. Today is really the first day im hitting it hard trying to get it back. Hopefully it will work. I really just wanted to hear someone say they had a similar situation that turned out positive!
    *loss and BFP mentioned*
    Me: Endo & No Tubes 
    DH: perfect!
    IVF#1 (Sept 2013) Long Lupron Protocol
               17 retrieved, 15 fert, 1 perfect blast trans, 10 frozen
                BFP--Ended-- Blighted Ovum
    FET#2 Tentative Sched: Start meds CD1=Feb 1, ET= Feb 19-20
              One Grade 4AA Blast transferred, 5dpt- BFP HPT, 6dpt- line darker
              Beta #1- 50, Beta #2- 30
              BFN- Chemical preg
    FET#3 CD1-4/11, start Injections on CD13, ET scheduled- 4/29
             CD12 u/s & bw- Lining 8.7, estrogen 335, cleared for ET in one week!
             CD19 ET- Two Grade 4AA Blast transferred one with assisted hatching
             4dpt- POAS = BFP!....POAS everyday after = DARKER! FX!
             Beta #1- 703!  Beta #2- 4,004! 
             First U/S, 5wk0d- TWO gest sacs, Both with yolk sacs and a fetal pole both measuring 3d ahead!
    ((Thank you LORD, praying these LO grow, grow, grow!)) 
    **Due date Jan 14th- Boy/Girl twins**

imageimage

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I've heard great things about lactation cookies. I haven't tried them myself but am planning to buy some asap. I've heard they can double your supply by eating 2 cookies per day. I figure it's worth a try! I've also be using the mothers milk tea and have used fenugreek with my first daughter, which seemed to help. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"