May 2015 Moms
Options

Crib Bumpers? Yay or Nay?

What are your thoughts on crib bumpers? I've heard mixed things about them. 

Re: Crib Bumpers? Yay or Nay?

• Options
    They give a higher risk of SIDS because if your baby moves to the side and has it's face in the bumper it can suffocate as when they are asleep they aren't able to move there heads away if something's wrong so not recommended. Try googling 'are bumpers bad for cribs' or something like that you'd get given a better explanation than mine.
  • Options
    Crib bumpers, even the "breathable" mesh bumpers, simply aren't safe are infants. The American Academy of Pediatrics have repeatedly stated they shouldn't be used due to risk of suffocation, strangulation, and entrapment. The only thing that should be in the crib is your baby, on their back, with a fitted crib sheet. No bumpers, toys, blankets, etc.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Crap, I bought a breathable mesh liner thinking that was OK.
  • Options
    Nay for the reasons stated above.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    My little girl got her arm stuck in the bars on her crib and almost broke it so I used bumpers after that.
  • Options
    I don't know how you heard mixed opinions about bumpers. They are dangerous. Period.
  • Options
    I had nothing in the crib with him at first, but then I used the breathable crib bumpers (very thin mesh ones from Target) later on (4-9 months or so) because my son would always roll into or bump his head on the wooden slats.  In the middle of the night you'd hear a loud thunk - so I used the bumpers to cushion the crib slats a bit.  But only when he was old enough to move his head / roll over on his own. 
    Baby girl born on May 15, 2015!  (DS born 2011)
  • Options
    There's a risk, but my midwife didn't even have an opinion. That being said, I only have mine on for looks, it'll come off when baby is in there!
  • Options
    There is a ton of research now proving the risk of using a bumper. They are purely decorative and were originally created before the spacing requirements were placed for the slats on the crib. I got a super cute crib skirt and lots of different cute sheets and I love the way our bedding looks without the bumper.
  • Options
    I don't like the idea of a bumper, because of SIDS, but I don't know why the breathable mesh should be such an issue...  I worry about my baby getting limbs stuck between the bars.
    Pregnancy Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

BABY NINJA!
  • Options
    Nay. From what I have read so far All you really need is a fitted sheet on the mattress. No blanket, no toys, no pillow. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    We've decided to use a breathable liner in the cradle (it's a bassinet my grandfather made for me when I was born) because the slats are a little wide and we want her to be protected. Her crib will not have any bumper at all. 
  • Options
    I actually just read a story about a woman and her baby. She would have celebrated his 5th Bday this year. Unfortunately, he passed away when he was just 7 weeks old. He had suffocated in his crib due to the crib bumper. His mother said he was swaddled and placed in a position sleeper but somehow managed to roll over into his crib bumper. Sad story. I used a crib bumper with baby 1 and 2 but I will not be using one this time despite how nice they make the crib look. Its all about your babys safety. All that should be in the babys crib, is a fitted sheet and blanket. No pillows. No animals. No bumper. I will definitely be adding a cute crib skirt though!
  • Options
    Do not use it! Nothing should be in the crib, my poor beautiful 2 month year old nephew died, about 2 months ago. Babysitter unfortunately put a couple blankets and teddy bear in his crib and he suffocated. Yes some people may have gotten away with crib bumpers and what not, but is that worth the risk?My sister is completely heartbroken, it's so sad.
  • Options
    I definitely needed them when my son started moving/crawling at 5 months. He would continually smash his face into the corner of his crib and if I hadn't had bumper pads he would have had bruises all over his face and a lot of unnecessary pain. But he could obviously move around at that point. Until your baby starts to move more intentionally on their own I don't see the need. It is just causing more risks than benefits. 
    Married 6-1-13
    Sebastian 3-11-14
    Simon 5-2-15
    Baby #3 Due 9-29-16
  • Options
    Crib bumpers are useless decorations that are more of a hazard than anything. Even those ridiculous breathable bumpers are not worth it. Those were made for the parents who are stuck on the idea of a bumper but don't want the risk of a real bumper. Arms and legs fan go through the slats regardless around the bottom between the mattress and the bumper. And once your baby is big enough to move around like that to begin with the bumpers should have been taken out already.
  • Options
    I'm not doing bumpers on our crib but I am planning to have her sleep in our room in the pack n play for the first few months.. I haven't read anything about it being dangerous but I'm concerned because it does have the mesh walls.. Has anyone heard anything about that?
  • Options
    Bumpers are not safe!! Nothing in the crib. I've read some people use them once their LO is much older but I won't be using on at all.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"