February 2015 Moms
Options

Having sex at 38 weeks

does having sex really help induce labor ???

Re: Having sex at 38 weeks

• Options
    My husband wants his baby this weekend and he is doing all this research about sex and inducing labor ... We going to have to try ..
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    zooey1 said:

My husband wants his baby this weekend and he is doing all this research about sex and inducing labor ... We going to have to try ..

I mean, he might want the baby this weekend, but that's not how it works. You're at 38 weeks and still have two weeks left. If baby isn't ready, it's not going to happen. Your best bet is to relax and let nature take its course rather than try to force things.
  • Options
    ..I doubt it will bring on labour but sure it won't hurt trying, try nipple stimulation apparently it releases the hormone that is present during labour!
  • Options
    Maybe but I think it's a coincidence likely. I'm 40+6 and have has sex plenty times since week 39. Still pregnant....
    Me: 34 DH: 34
    Married 3/22/14
    Baby #1 GIRL EDD 2/4/2015
    FVL/History of PE/Gallbladder removal 8/7/14 @ 14w1d
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @zooey1‌you should tell you DH to research how important it is to let your baby come with it's ready (aside from medical reasons). While most people think you're in the clear at 38 weeks and it's safe for baby to come out, there is still a lot of crucial development going on for those last 2 two weeks.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    CitizenKaneCitizenKane member
    edited February 2015
    I was 10 days over due with DS. I can't bear the thought of going that far over again so I have been trying a few things on the list; sex, nipple stim with a pump, and evening primrose oil. The only thing I absolutely refuse is castor oil. I will let them induce me before I go there.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    ulfinlay said:

..I doubt it will bring on labour but sure it won't hurt trying, try nipple stimulation apparently it releases the hormone that is present during labour!

I'd actually seen some research that linked nipple stimulation contractions to adverse effects like meconium in the fluid. It was only one article, and I can't remember where I saw it, but it's worth considering when contemplating old wives' tale approaches.
  • Options
    mands1125 said:
    Maybe but I think it's a coincidence likely. I'm 40+6 and have has sex plenty times since week 39. Still pregnant....
    So jealous! I miss sex...
  • Options
    Thank u ladies !!! We couldn't even try it because I'm too tired ... I guess we have to wait :)
  • Options
    Sex is just plain uncomfortable for me right now. Feels like there isn't enough room down there, I'm tender to boot, plus baby decides she's going to descend whenever we try, but then the next day at the doctors office, she's riding super again. I'm being blocked by my own baby! And I can't even self service either for the same reason. So over it now.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

ulfinlay said:

I'd actually seen some research that linked nipple stimulation contractions to adverse effects like meconium in the fluid. It was only one article, and I can't remember where I saw it, but it's worth considering when contemplating old wives' tale approaches.
    I've seen some stuff about nipple stimulation causing long painful contractions which could in turn cause stress to the baby. It is advised to use nipple stimulation only under the supervision of a doctor.
  • Options
    Oh and I'm 40+5, had plenty of sex, and baby still want to stay inside. It won't really do a thing unless LO is ready. My advice to you is to chill out. It could be a while before your baby gets here. Me being 38 weeks seems like forever ago now. I hardly remember it, that's how slowly time has passed in the past couple weeks.
  • Options
    tlglass91 said:

ulfinlay said:

I've seen some stuff about nipple stimulation causing long painful contractions which could in turn cause stress to the baby. It is advised to use nipple stimulation only under the supervision of a doctor.
    That makes sense...and also sounds really awkward.
  • Options

tlglass91 said:

ulfinlay said:

That makes sense...and also sounds really awkward.
    Hehehehehehehe
    Me: 27
    DH: 28
    Together: 2005
    Married: 2008
    Naming our son after a cartoon character: 2/23/15!
  • Options
    My understanding is that if your body is basically ready to go, something in the ejaculate encourages labor to start. If your body isn't ready, though, it won't bring labor about. 
  • Options
    It's the prostaglandins in the semen. Softens the cervix. As does eating lots of fresh pineapple. Doesn't really cause labor to come on any faster than nature intends. Fun trying if you feel up to it, though.
  • Options
    38 weeks is not time yet! Drs give you a due date for a reason. Not so you can expect baby to appear two weeks earlier... Be patient and baby will come when baby is ready :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"