C-sections

Had panic attack after first c-section, having second CS in a few months

I tried my hardest to have a vaginal birth with my first. No dice. Ended up having an emergency C, followed by a severe panic attack shortly after they pulled her out. I totally freaked when I couldn't move my legs and I almost went into shock. I know, total drama queen. But it was scary stuff.

Naturally, I'm terrified of this happening again. I'm scheduled to have my second C in May, and the anxiety from my first still lingers a bit when I think of the surgery. Did this happen with anyone else? Any tips on how to remain calm? 

Re: Had panic attack after first c-section, having second CS in a few months

• I had panic attacks daily in the last month of my pregnancy.  My OB finally decided that the panic attacks and the way my body reacted to them was going to cause more harm to my baby than me taking some anxiety meds.  So, he gave me anxiety meds and they helped a ton.  He made sure that I took my pill the night before my induction so that I would have some help with the delivery and/ or the c-section.  I ended up with an emergency c-section after 8 hours of labor.  

I think it is natural to be fearful, especially with the experience that you had last time.  I would talk to your OB about what your options are and tell them your fears and what happened last time.  

Good Luck and congrats!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

tryingtogrowareddenfamily.blogspot.com

lifeofadialysiswife.blogspot.com

• I think scheduled c section gives you more control. I informed my doctor and anesthesiologist right before my c section about my panic attacks. They assured me that as soon as DD was out if I felt I needed something to calm me down they'd give it to me. After they took DD out I remember the anesthesiologist asking and I told her I didn't need anything...I was fine and wanted to stay in the moment. She said that was the case with a lot of women. So knowing that I had that option, if needed, took a huge load off.
  • Loading the player...
  • I had panic attacks with my second c section after my first was an emergency. My second one went so smoothly that as Im 6 wks from my third I have next to no anxiety at all about this surgery :)
  • I didn't have a panic attack, but I felt like I was on the way while I was in the OR. I felt like a heavy weight was on my chest, I couldn't breathe, and was super uncomfortable not being able to feel or move my legs. This might be silly, but it helped me to talk through what I was feeling with the Anesthesiologist who administered my spinal. He assured me my breathing/vitals were fine, and that my feelings were normal, which oddly made me feel better. From then on, he tried to make me laugh and take my mind off of my discomfort, which helped stop my freak out. :) All docs might not be as accommodating... I had a helpful one. Good luck!
  • I had to talk myself out of several panic attacks after realizing I couldn't feel my legs. I thought they would just feel "asleep" but they felt amputated. I will have a second cs in July and plan on talking to my OB about my previous experience.
    BFP 10/31/12, MC 11/9/12 - We had to say goodbye before we could really say hello. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • The aftermath of my c-section was rather traumatic with a massive hematoma and wound dehiscence that had me in the ER twice. The first ER trip I was having such a panic attack they pushed Ativan through the IV... and thank god!

Since then I feel like I've had trouble dealing with all the complications, even though I'm healing well finally. It's a month later and I found myself having a panic attack in the middle of the night last night. It's miserable.
    Ben Louis, born March 20, 2015 @ 11:50PM. Delivered by c-section at 32 weeks and 6 days due to mother's pre-eclampsia. Doing brilliantly in NICU!

Handstamped, custom jewelry from Charmedseed... grown just for you!