May 2015 Moms
Options

Too many fetal hiccups????

Ever since I've entered my third trimester, my LO has literally been hiccuping about 3 times a day & they usually last for about 3 minutes. I know hiccuping is normal & it means he's practicing his breathing. But I've also heard somewhere that too much hiccuping could mean umbilical cord entanglement. I know this might be a silly thing to worry about, but I just want to know if it's normal for a fetus to hiccup THIS much.

Re: Too many fetal hiccups????

• Options
    It's as you said, just baby practicing it's breathing and it strengthens their diaphragm too. I've never heard about it being linked to umbilical cord entanglement. Once a baby is born it can be a sign of stress to have the hiccups a lot, but mostly it's just their body learning what to do. Don't stress about it and enjoy the weird feeling of hiccups that aren't your own.
  • Options
    Shanfrey82Shanfrey82 member
    edited February 2015
    I have actually read about it being a concern of too many hiccups during pregnancy indicating a problem with the umbilical cord ... But I can't recall when the concern is supposed to be. What you're saying doesn't seem like too many to me but if it's everyday and constantly more than you feel safe with, I would just get checked out. I'm a better to be safe than sorry person so I think if nothing else it will ease your mind to see your doctor about it. Good luck, mama. Sending you prayers that all is good and healthy with baby and you.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My first hiccuped over an hour a day.. Maybe more. Dr said nothing to worry about at all at that amount.. He has healthy lungs now :) never had a respiratory issue in his 2.5 years.. Though that is just coincidence I'm sure
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"