September 2015 Moms

Flu like symptoms during first trimester ?

Are flu like symptoms normal during the first trimester? Or do I actually have a cold? I have the usual pregnancy fatigue but in addition I have body aches, nasal congestion, sneezing and chills. Please advise!

Best Answer

Re: Flu like symptoms during first trimester ?

• Oh I'm not alone?! I definitely was sick for about 2 good weeks in the beginning, and I mean like, I think I had the flu. Get tons of rest and Gatorade, and call your doctor before you take anything. I literally slept and kept a hot water bottle on my chest to break stuff up in there,i didn't use medicine. Actually, sleep sounds goodright now too ☺
  • Loading the player...
  • I would call your doctor. I have the flu and bronchitis. My doctor told me the flu can be dangerous for your baby. Tamiflu is safe and has to be taken if you have the flu while pregnant. Hope this helps
  • Im with you on that,bad cold and struggling with working! Call your doctor. I have done so much research and dont think any medicines are actually safe:/
  • acg5acg5 member
    edited February 2015
    I swabbed positive for influenza A and was put on Tamiflu. I was also spiking temps for 4 days so I also had to take tylenol. I would definitely call your doctor. The worst was the headache and feeling achey.
  • I feeling the same way, especially at night. Sneezing, nasal congestion and the headaches are the worst....
  • Thank you for all the feedback ladies!
  • 0MegaMommy0MegaMommy member
    edited March 2015
    I am 12w6ds I woke up today with body aches,sneezing, bad cough that sometimes leads to gagging, and I don't have a stuffy nose I have like the opposite... like too much mucus or something... not that I am complaining I would rather have that. I am just wondering what should I do... before I left for work (@2:30) my temp was 99.1 which isn't bad so I should be good. But how high is too high?
  • I came down with the flu when I was 10 weeks (and I did have my flu shot this year). It came on fast, with a cough, aches, chills, and a fever (no congestion, runny nose, or sore throat, which are my usual cold symptoms). I took Tylenol (just one pill each time) to keep my fever down and put a cold washcloth on my head. At the highest my fever probably got to 100.4 (but would have gone higher without the Tylenol). I went to the doctor the morning of the third day and was put on Tamiflu; my fever went away within a few days of being on Tamiflu and I felt so much better except for my cough which got worse. I went back to the doc and was then diagnosed with pneumonia, so I was put on an antibiotic (pregnancy category B) to clear the infection. The cough drastically improved within 5 days, but 4 weeks later I still have a mild cough since pneumonia can take forever to completely go away. I would take your temperature (especially if you have chills which can indicate fever) and see the doctor as soon as possible if you have a fever just to rule out the flu. The flu can be much more dangerous to us when we're pregnant since we have a suppressed immune system and don't fight off viruses as fast as we would normally. Hope you feel better soon!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"