Babies on the Brain
Options

Trying to conceive concerned about radiation exposure at work

Hi! I'm a RN in a cath lab/IR lab I receive exposure to radiation on a daily basis. I'm just curious if there was anyone else who has dealt with this and how so? I just accepted this position about 6 months ago, I've had 1 miscarriage and I'm concerned that I need to switch jobs!!? I know for sure I can't work there during the 1st trimester and my MD has suggested not at all during pregnancy but should I quit or change jobs while still TTC? Any advice or prior experience would be MUCH appreciated.

Re: Trying to conceive concerned about radiation exposure at work

• Options
    I also perform procedures using radiation (angio and other procedures using X-ray guidance). I limited my scope while pregnant, avoiding those procedures with the highest fluro times. I also made sure to always wear wrap around lead (as opposed to the bib and skirt option).

You should also speak to your collegues and workplace health & safety. You are unlikely to be the first staff member in his situation. Have your dosemeters (especially the one you wear under your lead) checked more frequently so you can assess the radiation you are bein exposed to.
    PgAL (MC@7w 29/10/11 - lost you before we knew we had you)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    As a radiation worker you are allowed a certain amount of exposure, there is a clause that mentions pregnant radiation workers. As long as your dosage is being monitored and you are getting dosed out I wouldn't worry about it. Continue to wear the lead aprons and take every precaution avaliable to you and your baby. Congrats on your pregnancy!
    Married:09/27/14 
    Baby N-Born:10/29/15
    Our Angel: EDD: 05/11/17. MC at 6 weeks
    Baby #2- EDD: 07/18/17

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"