Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Nap Training

Our little one basically sleep trained herself a couple of months ago. At nighttime we nurse, read a story, brush her teeth, and then rock her for one song. At that point we lay her down...sometimes she rolls right over and falls asleep, other times she tosses and turns for 30-45 minutes before falling asleep, but there's no crying whatsoever. My question is how can I train her to go to sleep on her own for naps? If I don't rock her to sleep and then lay her down then she'll just sit up and play once in her crib. Any suggestions?

Re: Nap Training

• Making sure DD is actually tired is a big thing for us. If she is truly tired she goes down super easy. If I am trying to get her to take a nap too early its no dice. Also making sure she is full is important so we usually try a nap after lunch. Also ... as long as she isn't crying (sitting playing in crib) I wouldn't worry too much but I know easier said than done. Eventually she will figure it out just like she did at night. Good luck!
  • She is 12 1/2 months. Up until a few weeks ago she was taking two naps (10ish & 2ish). She got to the point where she was really fighting her afternoon and we were often out of the house during her morning nap, so we transitioned her to one nap. I feed her lunch a little bit earlier and put her down for a nap around 12/12:30. She definitely seems tired...in fact during lunch she sometimes starts to zone out. Sometimes I do let her just stay in her crib, but I'm never sure how long I should let her be before I go in and get her. And if she doesn't eventually fall asleep then what? She needs that nap or she'll be exhausted and cranky in the afternoon.
  • Loading the player...
  • So when my daughter was transitioning to one nap a day and I felt she absolutely needed a nap but wasn't going down easy I just soothed her to sleep by holding her (rocking, bouncing) and didn't try to let her fall asleep on her own. To be honest I soothed my DD to sleep until she started showing me signs that she was ready to go down on her own, specifically she started reaching for the crib when I held her and wasn't as interested in me holding her in general. I think that started happening at around 13-14 months (DD is almost 15 months now). Sometimes if I put her down and she fusses I will cover her with a blanket and pat her but until she settles down. Its kind of one of those things that they will just start going down easier when they are ready for it but each child is different and will be ready at different times. I would think you are really close though since you mentioned she is going down easy at night. Hang in there Mama!
  • When DD was that age DH had the patience to stay near her (she would reach out to hold his hand or look for him) for the 10 min for her to fall asleep.  For DS I have the patience to lay him on his stomach - usually now he settles immediately, sometimes I have to pat or rub his back 1 minute.  I keep my fingers on his back for 5 minutes then leave - usually he's asleep, sometimes he cries a bit when I leave (for up to 10 minutes).  If he doesn't settle after patting or rubbing his back I leave immediately and let him play (or fuss) unless he calls urgently and I get him (happens less than once a month).  There's a technique called the Sleep Lady Shuffle which is probably similar to my style, but I'm only do Step 1 ;-) .  Still, I know from DD, that this too with DS will pass.  Good luck!

Unexplained IF/RPL

TTC#1 2003 BFNs, 2004-2009 imageimageimageimageimage 5 angels above

2010 IVF-PGS-FET#1, DD b. Aug-2011 image

TTC#2 2012 BFNs, 2013 FET#2, DS b. Nov-2013 image

TTC#3 2015 BFNs, FET#3 image (my 6th and last angel above)

Journey Complete.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Thanks everyone! I do occasionally try rubbing her back when I lay her down, but generally she just sits up and wants to play with me, so I don't think that's going to work for us. Yesterday I let her lay in bed awake and told myself if she was still awake in an hour I would go in and rock her to sleep. It took the full hour and a little fussing the last 15 minutes but she did eventually fall asleep on her own. Although I will admit that I didn't think it would take her nearly that long because she was falling asleep in her high chair after lunch! I guess we'll just keep trying!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"