1st Trimester
Options

First Ultrasound Says I Am 8.5 Weeks but I Got My Period in December

Ok, so I am not sure if the pregnancy is already taking my brain cells already but I am hella confused! 

I got my started my period on December 12th last month then missed January;s-I just went today for my first ultrasound and they said I was 8.5 weeks pregnant but how could I be pregnant when I got my period? I was pretty sure I conceived on the 25th 

My husband says is just an estimation based on my last period because they don't know when I actually conceived but then should I be reading 6.5 weeks in 'What TO Expect When you are expecting' or 8.5 weeks? 

Help Future Moms! And congrats to you all btw

Re: First Ultrasound Says I Am 8.5 Weeks but I Got My Period in December

• Options
    The day you start counting from is the first day of your last period not when you ovulated. It's confusing because you basically weren't pregnant for the first few weeks of your pregnancy technically but that's just how everyone counts it. So my first day of my last period was December 19 so I am considered 7w1day. Hope that helps!
    Married 6.21.2014
    DD #1: 8.16.2015
    #2 EDD: 1.13.2019
  • Options
    hlb8179 said:
    The day you start counting from is the first day of your last period not when you ovulated. It's confusing because you basically weren't pregnant for the first few weeks of your pregnancy technically but that's just how everyone counts it. So my first day of my last period was December 19 so I am considered 7w1day. Hope that helps!
    This exactly. Congrats!
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Married 1/20/07
    DD Born: 2/18/11
    LO #2 EDD: 10/16/15
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yep, you count from the first day of your last period. I started my period Dec. 8th, ovulated a couple days late (I was temping so I know), and I'm 8w 3d.
  • Options
    Ultrasounds r pretty accurate. So I would say there correct.n yes first 2 weeks of your pregnancy ur not actually pregnant.
  • Options
    Yeah, the two week add on is weird, but it stems from a time when we didn't have OPK kits or commonly BBT to pinpoint our ovulation and conception dates. Your ultrasound seems spot on. I'll be curious if my EDD changes after my ultrasound, because even though I tracked and know my ovulation and conception timing, the midwife is insisting going of my LMP - dating me 5 days ahead. That would only be an issue if I'm in week 41 or 42 and getting pressured to induce (the midwives won't induce before 41 weeks unless medically indicated).
    BabyGaga
  • Options
    Yep, like the previous posts have said. You get a "freebie" two weeks. I got my BFP on the day AF was due and told my SO that I was 4 weeks pg, he was like WHAT?!?! You've been pg for 4 weeks already?! Lol.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    Go with the docs. Pregnancy does add two weeks. It's also 10 months and not 9 months. There's SO MUCH weird pregnancy math.
  • Options
    8.5 weeks is spot on if you got your last period on Dec 12. Because it's be 8.5 weeks since the start of your last cycle, which is how they date pregnancies.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"