April 2013 Moms

Still Breastfeeding and co-sleeping

My daughter is 22 months old. She still breastfeeds at night and in the morning, and we co-sleep with her. I would like to have my bed back and give my boobs a break but can't seem to find a way to do it. I've tried to put her to bed when she's already sleeping, but she's up and in our room within two or three hours. Anyone have any tips or tricks for both the breastfeeding and getting her to sleep in her bed.

Re: Still Breastfeeding and co-sleeping

• I wish I had tips on the breastfeeding...I am so ready to be done, but DS is totally not. :(

I mentioned it to the doctor when we were there for his 18 month check-up and he said that at this age, I basically have to just quit cold turkey. He told me I would have a cranky baby on my hands for about a week. So not looking forward to that.

On the plus side, your daughter will probably sleep just fine once you break the breastfeeding habit. Maybe try moving her to her own room if you can?

Our son slept in our room until New Year's Day of this year. MH and I found that we were interrupting his sleep when we went to bed, and that made him want to eat in the MOTN. When we moved him to his own room, he started sleeping better almost immediately! GL!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I feel she would have a better night's sleep if she slept in her own bed, and I also feel that she only wakes up to nurse because we move and interrupt her sleep. I'm not working now so I think it might be a great time to get her sleeping in her bed since I don't have to get up early the next morning. My problem with my DD is that she won't drink cows milk, she seems to be fine with it mixed with breastmilk, specially when she sleeps at grandparents house, but when I try to "trick" her into drinking it, she almost knows what I'm trying to do.

• Loading the player...
  • elbouelbou member
    edited February 2015
    Annie121 said:

I feel she would have a better night's sleep if she slept in her own bed, and I also feel that she only wakes up to nurse because we move and interrupt her sleep. I'm not working now so I think it might be a great time to get her sleeping in her bed since I don't have to get up early the next morning. My problem with my DD is that she won't drink cows milk, she seems to be fine with it mixed with breastmilk, specially when she sleeps at grandparents house, but when I try to "trick" her into drinking it, she almost knows what I'm trying to do.

Re: the bolded...this sounds exactly like my son. I can't recommend having their own room highly enough in this case. He still gets up early, but at least it's not MOTN anymore.

• I would stop the before bedtime feeding first before you do the morning one as well. I've had my daughter weened for about three weeks
    now and I started the process I think in late november/early december. Offer her milk and water at night and if she asks to nurse just tell her she can either have a bottle of milk or water . She might cry but she should figure out pretty quickly as long as you stick with it and dont give in. My daughter didn't drink much cows milk till after I completely weaned her. She would still be bf now if I let her but I had to stop bc I am pregnant with my second and I did not want to be bf two babies at once. After you do that for a week or two id do the same with the morning feedings and offer her milk and water. 
    Hope this helps and makes some sense! 
    good luck!
  • Oh and since you are co sleeping maybe before you wean her try and let her nurse in her own bed for a little while then maybe read a book and sing to her till she falls asleep . Once she seems to get used to that routine then Id start the weaning process. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"