June 2015 Moms
Options

Measles outbreak

The news lately has been flooded with measles stories.... Has anyone been impacted by this outbreak? Some pediatricians (in news stories) are even cautioning bringing infants out to widely travelled public places.... scary we have to deal with this in 2015!

Re: Measles outbreak

• Options
    Stupid anti-vaxers.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    esampson1983esampson1983 member
    edited February 2015
    A student died from it at a local high school. Very sad.

ETA: crap wrong M. It was meningitis. Stupid pregnancy brain steals my all my brain cells! Still sad. But it does bring up a good point about vaccinating kids. I will be vaccinating minion because I want him to be healthy.
  • Options
    ajgerber said:

I don't think we have had anything local or even statewide yet.  However, I know a person who doesn't believe in vaccinations and it just makes me livid.  I will just avoid them for the sake of health. :)

And your sanity!
  • Options

This topic pisses me off so much. Stupid celebrities feeding the media their BS. There is a reason that the disease were almost gone! I understand the kids that can't due to medical reasons, but everyone else should vaccinate, especially if they want to go to public school, and if they don't all parents should be made aware of who they are. Heaven help the parent that doesn't vaccinate their kid and they get mine sick...all I have to say about that.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

It's one thing to want to not protect/endanger your own kid, but don't hurt mine because you are stupid/naive/or what have you!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    My friend had her 11 month old twins in quarentine for 3 weeks. There was a family from my county that contracted the disease at Disneyland. My friends twins were sick and they went to after hours at their pediatrician. The family (anti-vaxers) was there at the same time! The other unvaccinated children were getting vaccinated. My friend had to take her twins to the county health dept to get immunoglobulin shots. The health dept even tried to charge her! (Um...send the bill to the family that didn't vaccinate their kids and then spread it). Luckily, her girls never caught it.
  • Options
    This scares the shiza out of me!! When I was pregnant with DD it was h1n1 and now it's measles. Why do I get pregnant during these outbreaks??? Oh and Ebola ugh.
  • Options
    My best friend is a non-vaxer. She says she's waiting until her little girl turns two in April and will then decide whether she'll do any or not. It's two months away! I just want to steal her child and take her to at least get the damn mmr shot at this point. It would be one thing if she lived out in the boondocks, maybe I'd feel a little better the next two months, but she lives in Nashville! She posted a picture of them at the library the other day and I wanted to scream. At least avoid majorly public areas! Come on! It breaks my heart to think of anything happening to that little girl, and there's just nothing anyone can do. Ugh.
  • Options
    It is just so amazing how widespread and devastating plain ignorance is.
  • Options
    The U.S. Government keeps a database of reports called The Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS). The database is available to the public, and there is a search portal the public can use at Medalerts.org.

I ran a search for a ten year period for deaths reported with measles vaccines, including a few that are no longer in production. The search result contained 108 deaths over this period, associated with four different measles vaccines sold in the United States during the past 10 years.

Today, one can only purchase a measles vaccine in combination with the mumps and rubella vaccines (MMR Vaccine).

When searching for just the MMR vaccine during the past 10 years, 96 deaths were reported:

Anybody with a computer and Internet access can search this database by visiting MedAlerts.org.

• Options
    The U.S. Government keeps a database of reports called The Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS). The database is available to the public, and there is a search portal the public can use at Medalerts.org. I ran a search for a ten year period for deaths reported with measles vaccines, including a few that are no longer in production. The search result contained 108 deaths over this period, associated with four different measles vaccines sold in the United States during the past 10 years. Today, one can only purchase a measles vaccine in combination with the mumps and rubella vaccines (MMR Vaccine). When searching for just the MMR vaccine during the past 10 years, 96 deaths were reported: Anybody with a computer and Internet access can search this database by visiting MedAlerts.org.
    The majority of these adverse events were likely not CAUSED by the vaccine itself; it is impossible from reports like these to determine causality; AE reporting systems can only suggest trends/associations.  I00-200 deaths in a ten year period associated with a vaccine received by  hundreds of thousands (probably millions) is absolutely NOTHING,...ZERO...WAY less than most prescription drugs... even if causality could be determined here.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I was just posting factual information. I agree with u - u have more of risk of dying in a car accident then dying for a vaccine or dying from the measles. Actually there have been 0 deaths since 2003 reported by the CDC. Oh and a vaccine is a perscription drug - so yes there are side effect and one side effect is death as listed on the insert. You can find that information at cdc.gov.
  • Options
    Antivaxers frustrate me. I know one and since she found out I was pregnant I think she has set it into her head that she is going to be my mommy friend (she has a 7m old). I just... No. What kinda kills me about this, is this question - if your dog were to bite an antivaxer's child, then said antivaxer would demand to see proof of rabies vaccination for your pet, right? So, in this instance they believe in vaccinations, but not otherwise? I've actually seen this situation play out with another family where I used to live. Baffles me. Makes no sense.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I was just posting factual information. I agree with u - u have more of risk of dying in a car accident then dying for a vaccine or dying from the measles. Actually there have been 0 deaths since 2003 reported by the CDC. Oh and a vaccine is a perscription drug - so yes there are side effect and one side effect is death as listed on the insert. You can find that information at cdc.gov.
    You know what also has a side effect of death? Measles. Smallpox. The flu. Aspirin.  All diseases that either are or were eradicated. People who use the rationalization "you have more of a risk of dying in a car accident than dying from the measles" are the problem here.
  • Options
    Unfortunately it will have to take anti-vaxers children getting sick when there is no longer herd immunity down the road to realize their heads have been up their asses and they have put their faith and their precious children's health in quack science.
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • Options
    Just wait until Polio comes back (and yes, there's a very good chance i.t might. There are pockets around the world where it is rampant...it's just a plane ride away)...All the anti vaxxers will be singing a different tune when it's their kid in an iron lung!
  • Options
    Hey ladies. I too get very frustrated with the anti-vaxers. I live in CA and many people here are holistic and believe in the natural approach to health care. As a NICU nurse, I have seen numerous infants die from diseases that can be prevented, and it never gets easy! And now as a soon to be mom, I get even more frustrated. I read an article the other day published by Forbes about the measles outbreak and vaccinations. It's a great read. I think you will all enjoy it!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/dandiamond/2015/01/28/measles-is-spreading-and-kids-might-die-sue-parents-who-didnt-vaccinate-absolutely/
  • Options
    Good article. Gods help the anti-vax parent whose kid gets my kid sick with something preventable. Public shaming? Legal action? Voodoo? Who knows where a pissed off mommy will go.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    There's a good article going around by a woman who wasn't vaccinated by her parents in the 70s and, even though she lived an extraordinarily healthy lifestyle outside of that (organic foods, plenty of exercise, etc), she has an absolutely miserable medical history because she kept getting all these horrible illnesses since she wasn't vaccinated. I was never an anti-vaxxer, but that article alone got any part of me that was ever on the fence firmly on the side of Team Vaccination. I'll have to see if I can find it and repost it here for anyone who's interested.
  • Options

All of this makes me terrified for June! I feel like I'm going to need to keep baby at my house until they are old enough to get all their vaccinations! Anyone else feel like that?!

I never used to worry about this stuff because I never imagined people really don't vaccinate (logically I totally understand these people exist).... But with all the recent news stories and confirmed cases I totally get why people would fear leaving their house.... I mean what family thought going to Disneyland could cause them to contract Measles... And more recently was that woman in a children's hospital who exposed so many children.... Ugh makes me crazy!
  • Options

Here is a good article from a pediatrician in Seattle regarding tips for babies under 12 months.  https://seattlemamadoc.seattlechildrens.org/measles-outbreak-with-a-baby-at-home/ 

• Options
    Thank you! That article actually made me feel a little better. And I guess when I go out I'll just strap the baby in my ergo and give people the "Don't even think about it" look if they try to touch or look... Or breathe around them! (Seriously wish I knew if I was having a boy or girl so I could just say him/her! Only 6 more days! :))
  • Options
    I have a friend who refuses to vaccinate her child. Still trying to figure out how to nicely tell her that i don't want my child anywhere near hers. She's a NICU nurse so I'm having a hard time unstanding her logic. It's a personal decision but I just think she is walking a dangerous path. To each is own but I will be vaccinating my child.
  • Options
    The pediatrician we have picked for our daughter just notified all patients that they will no longer accept clients who do not vaccinate and any current patients who do not vaccinate will no longer be treated there. Honestly, I'm pretty happy that I don't have to worry about exposing my infant to anyone who may be sick and unvaccinated at her doctors office.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Married 9/27/14, BFP 10/13/14, EDD 6/21/14

• Options

I'm thankful that these outbreaks have seemed to silence the anti-vaxers a little bit... I hear crickets from anyone strongly against vaccinations.  Really hoping this outbreak will spark major changes.  Maybe all schools/daycares nationwide will simply not be able to allow unvaccinated children to attend.  Not vaccinating your kids? Then you will homeschool them.

LOVE the homeschooling idea!
  • Options
    I have a friend who refuses to vaccinate her child. Still trying to figure out how to nicely tell her that i don't want my child anywhere near hers. She's a NICU nurse so I'm having a hard time unstanding her logic. It's a personal decision but I just think she is walking a dangerous path. To each is own but I will be vaccinating my child.
    That is just mind-blowing to me.
    Coffee Bean Born 6/13/15.
    2nd round exp 8/20/18.
    Meow.
  • Options

I'm usually always in the "to each his own" boat but not when it means putting others at risk. The fact that she is a NICU nurse is completely baffling to me. And don't worry about telling her in a nice way, she's made a bonehead decision so don't beat around the bush in explaining why.

TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • Options
    oh I think it has made the anti vax movement come out in full force and hate vaccines even more... A great chance to show that "vaccines" don't work because 6 people who had the vaccine caught the measles out of the 34 that were affected by Disneyland... How many people at Disneyland were vaccinated and didn't catch it because they were vaccinated!?! They never look at the other side!!! There is no reasoning. Just hope and pray we can educate ourselves and the next generation... I just wish they would stop saying " why does everyone fear these diseases"? Ummm hello if we pregnant ladies caught the measles guess what birth defects for our babies!!! Measles is terrible for pregnant ladies and their unborn child!!! muat calm down. Must calm down. Thank you to the amazing pro vaccine people on this board who give me faith in our world...
  • Options
    I was really worried that once this board started changing we'd have to coddle anti-vaxxers, since "everyone's opinions are equally valid" and special snowflakes and all that jazz. Glad to see we have none of this nonsense here!
  • Options

You know what also has a side effect of death? Measles. Smallpox. The flu. Aspirin.  All diseases that either are or were eradicated. People who use the rationalization "you have more of a risk of dying in a car accident than dying from the measles" are the problem here.

I see u don't read all the info - no one has died of the measles since 2003 in America according to the U.S. Government. That's a fact. The problem is if vaccines truly worked and no one was getting injured by them everyone would do it. Do u know your child has a 600% higher chance of asthma if vaccinated. A 523% higher chance of childhood diabetes. Cancer, MS, brain damage all of these. (I'm happy to post the comparison study - but I'm sure u can find it in the medical journal) How about peanut and egg allergies. You know how many thousands of deaths these lead to ever year. Everyone that doesn't vaccinate realizes that we have an immune system and we can fight these things (Measles chicken pox)) but once we poison our system we are forever changed. The more vaccines that are introduced the more children will be damaged and the more people will not vaccinate. When u were a baby u probably received 11 doses - now a baby receives over 150 Shots on there lifetime. Maybe u don't see a problem with this and that's fine. at the end of the day...I respect everyone's opinion to raise their child as they see fit. We live in America the greatest county in the world.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"