March 2015 Moms
Options

Naming my son Jack when my name is Jill

I have loved the name Jack since I was young and still do. I am due in March with my first child, a baby boy. Naturally I want to name him Jack and it sounds great with our last name. It never occurred to me that some would think it was silly with my name being Jill, until my husband said something to me. We have batted around other names we like, but always go back to Jack.

Will my son be teased because his Mom's name is Jack? (We live in an area where kids call adults by their first name, which I think is disrespectful. My husband and I did not grow up here.)

Will I have to hear Jack and Jill comments until the end of time?

Is this not that big of a deal?

Re: Naming my son Jack when my name is Jill

• Options
    Could it be a middle name?
  • Options
    My dad's two oldest siblings are named jack and Jill, and they never had any problems with getting teased. I wouldn't worry about it, and jack is a classic, solid name. It was one of my top choices if we were having a boy.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks, MeganG216. I was hoping for this kind of a response. We kept the name a secret until last weekend when we shared with immediate family; mainly because I needed advice and reactions since I'm so close to my due date. Many said they didn't even think of the whole Jack and Jill nursery rhyme and others said it's not a big deal.
    I also wish it weren't so popular these days, but our other couple names are pretty popular as well.
  • Options
    I love the name jack! I wouldn't have even thought about the nursery rhyme if you didn't bring it up :) don't worry!
  • Options
    Maybe family would tease a little but I never knew my friends mothers names so I wouldn't think it would be a big deal. I like the name jack!
  • Options
    You could ask the Baby Names board for more opinions
  • Options
    Thanks kmvisioli. Where is the baby boards name located?
  • Options
    On mobile.. Scroll all the way up hit community in top left hand corner to leave the march moms board. Then scroll down hit specialty and you will find the name boards there :)
  • Options
    I would say you are ok as long as you don't live up a hill fetching pails of water.
  • Options
    My sisters name is Jill and her son is Jack. We don't really think much of it.
  • Options
    I would've never made the association!  Jack is a great name!
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Mama to Rowan Sebastian and baby boy coming in April!

• Options
    jillbabe91jillbabe91 member
    edited February 2015
    Hey Jill! (: hehe
  • Options
    Thanks JLYoung03411. I am glad someone else has done this and it's not a big deal.
  • Options

I don't think its that big of a deal. I also do not think you can possibly predict what your child may be teased about.  Kids are so random about that type of thing, imo!

I love the idea of naming my kids Jaxon and Jillian (a version of Jack and Jill). I don't think its a big deal at all.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"