Pregnant after 35
Options

anyone have panoramic prenatal screen?

At my 8 week appt my OB mentioned I should consider it but that was it. Anyone have experience with it? When did you have it done?

Re: anyone have panoramic prenatal screen?

• Options
    yes I had it done.  THere are different companies that do it and different dr offices choose to do it at different times as well.  The company that did mine recommends having the test done around the 16th week as you have a really good amount of dna in your bloodstream to test at that point   I have heard of others getting theirs taken around 10 weeks.

The lab that did mine said it would take 10 to 14 days for results.  It took the full 14 for mine.  Or at least that is when my dr office called me.  I guess they could have gotton the results in sooner and not called? 

All they have to do for the test is draw blood .  I had it done at the same time as my other various labs so I had like 12 vials drawn.  The test looks for common trisomies including downs.  It will also pick up if you are having a boy or girl.  You can also have tests for spinal biffida, fragile x, and cystic fibrosis...there may have been some others.  THe fragile x and cystic fibrosis are just to see if you are a carrier.  YOu do need both you and baby's dad to be carriers for them to have it so if you are a carrier next step is to test dad. 

• Options
    As PPs have said, a lot of us have opted to do the NIPT.  It's a simple blood draw from the mother and you get the results back in a week or two.  What each lab covers varies, but they seem to all do the trisomies.  Your doctor may also offer carrier testing to see if you are a carrier for a genetic defect.

Starting about 10 weeks, fragments of fetal DNA make it to the mother's blood.  That's the opening window for the NIPT.  For some mothers, there isn't enough of the fragments to test on, so they have to do a second or third draw in a few weeks.

For us, it was quite important to do the tests.  If you are looking at a defect, you can consider intervention or further testing, or just be prepared for it.  For others, it's not important and they opt to skip.  Still others, choose to do other testing that's more invasive instead.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had it done at 12 weeks as I had 2 amnios with my first pregnancy (gave birth to healthy baby). Get results in 10-12 days and peace of mind. Good luck!
  • Options
    I don't know what a panoramic prenatal screen is, but the hubs&I do opt to have pretesting for the NIPT done in a few weeks from now. That is, at around 10-12 weeks they'll do specific bloodtests and a nuchal scan, and depending on those results I will/won't be referred for the NIPT as well (here in The Netherlands you can only have the NIPT done if previous tests show a hightened risk). We feel it's best to get the testing done, as the risks increase with maternal age and I'm 37 (not that I feel old or anything heh). I have my first midwife appointment next monday and will get more information on things then.
  • Options
    Oh no, i didn't see this post and i just posted the same question, lol. I am having mine done at 12 weeks due to my age (36). I am a FTM. I read it will take up to 2 weeks for results. That will be a long wait but we will be glad to have peace of mind :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"