Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

switching to formula

I went back to work in December and I am just not pumping enough to keep up with DD's demand.  We are mixing what I am pumping with formula but the amont I pump keeps dropping....and since I teach there are only certain times I can pump so I can even try to  build it up by doing it more frequently.  If you switched how many ounces did your LO take at once...she takes about 4-5 oz per bottle about every 3 - 3 1/2 hours.  Sound about right?  We have her six month appt  Tuesday ad we can talk with pedi then, but curious in the mean time.  I should mention she is very petite...she's 6 months today and weights under 14 lbs.....average in height at all appts....

Re: switching to formula

• Options
    At 6 months my lo was taking about 5 ounces every 3 hours, she was taking BM and formula at 6 months. Now at 9 months she is on formula only; drinking 6 oz every 3 hours. My lo is also petite, she is 16 lbs at 9 months.
  • Options
    thanks! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    khaalid00khaalid00 member
    edited February 2015
    My LO is a beast! Weighing over 18 lbs and long but solid body with some plumpness. Yes it is so hard to keep up on pumping routine to keep milk supply up especially keeping up on baby's growth and when returning to work...so exhausting and a commitment but worth it if mamas can stick to it. My LO is both on formula and breast milk taking 3 BM and 2 formula bottles at 5 oz each, every 3 hours-give or take naps and solid foods in his daily schedule. He takes no more than 5oz. So 5oz (25oz of milk a day) is the average according to my pedi milestone and development sheet. Babies can have 3-5 bottles starting at six month on a average but some babies take more or less. But my LO took 5oz since 5 months and now he is 8 months and eating solids along with milk intake. Hope that helps.
  • Options
    Thanks!!!  It does help! :)  It definitely is worth pumping and giving it to them, but I am only pumping like 6-8 oz....and my freezer stash is gone now....my pedi told me tonight average of 25 oz as well.  My daughter will take anywhere from 3-5 oz per bottle (4 of them a day) and one nursing session in the morning....not sure how much she gets obviously.  We do mix her cereal with formula/BM as well for an extra ounce or two.
  • Options
    Wow! Is that 6-8 oz in one pumping session? If so count your blessing that you can pump that much in multiple pumping sessions. I have to pump 4 times a day to produce 15oz and that is low for me but happy that I can pump that much after 6 months. I am still going strong! I don't care much for formula but this mama can only produce so much and LO has to eat. Coming close to the end of pumping when baby turns 1 and finally drinks whole milk!
  • Options
    No!  6-8 oz total a day!!!  Not much!
  • Options
    CarriMatCarriMat member
    edited February 2015
    We recently switched to formula from breastmilk. My daughter is 8 months and weighs 17 1/2 lbs. she is very average. She was drinking 6oz of breastmilk during the day every 2 1/2 - 3 hours but now that we have switched to formula she normally only takes a 4oz bottle sometimes 5 oz. I think formula cause them to feel fuller faster so she is not drinking as much.

• Options
    Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"