July 2015 Moms
Options

Breast feeding question for veteran moms

I am pregnant with my third. My first I BF for one day and gave up! I was young! Haha. My second I BF for 3 weeks then pumped for 2 months. When the baby latched it hurt! My toes curled and tears came to my eyes! Has anyone heard of ways to prepare your boobs for when the baby comes. I really want to BF again I want to get to the comfortable stage and want to know If there is anything I can do before the baby comes to help!

Best Answers

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    CkorinesCkorines member
    Answer ✓
    Haha I did it! My husband thought I was crazy! Some older ladies told me to use a Brillo pad. I opted for the loofa instead!! Brillo pad was way too aggressive for me. Good luck giving those nipples some tough love!

Answers

• Options
    I went to a BF clinic and he was latching good I'm just super sensitive. And wondered if there was a way to help. But I will try to tough it out longer this time hoping I will adjust eventually.
  • Options
    Ckorines said:

Nipple shields and before birth rough up your nipples with a loofa while showering. I breast fed for 2 years.

I've heard of that from my MIL but thought she might be crazy! I'll have to toughen these boobs up! Haha.
  • Options
    Ckorines said:

Haha I did it! My husband thought I was crazy! Some older ladies told me to use a Brillo pad. I opted for the loofa instead!! Brillo pad was way too aggressive for me. Good luck giving those nipples some tough love!

Haha! I'll be going to get a loofa next week! Thanks
  • Options
    I had to google a Brillo pad! Haha. Id like to keep my nipples! I never cracked with my second no visible issues it just hurt like hell! Maybe this baby will go easier on me!
  • Options
    I never had any latching problems never cracked once. I think it's just sensitive nipples and will have to get through the pain until I adjust! Hopefully I will adjust quicker this time. We have a clinic at the hospital but no one comes to your house! Every person is different and wanted some advice from those who struggled with BF. My sister and SIL are blessed they never had an issue.
  • Options
    I breastfed my DS for 4 1/2 mos. Only hurt the first two days because I lost my lanolin. Your nipples will naturally toughen up. A great source of support is absolutely necessary. Our mothers and grandmothers didn't have to toughen their nipples... make sure to make an appt with your lactation consonant before delivery.
  • Options
    I breastfed my daughter for 21 months. My daughter was tongue-tied at birth and let me tell you, it felt like she had teeth when she nursed. She made me bleed after her first time latching. Thank god the lactation consultant I met with the day after she was born noticed this and we were able to have her frenulum clipped that same day. The damage had already been done to my nips at that point and it took at least a month to a month and a half for the excruciating latching pain to stop and my nips to heal. I bought a nipple shield on the way home from the hospital and that was really a lifesaver and helped me heal up quicker. I think a big part of it is just making the commitment and determination to breastfeed. That's what got me through the beginning. I just kept reminding myself of all of the benefits to baby and even to me which helped to stick with it. It is really hard at first because it truly takes over your life. The bond you have with your baby through breastfeeding is so amazing though. Made the tough beginning all worth it.
  • Options
    The biggest help for me was my mother in teaching me how to get the baby to latch correctly. Even still though, getting started is a little painful, and you just have to do it, IMO.

DS #1 David Anthony, Born on 10/15/08

DS #2 Jacob Fielding, Born on 12/01/10

BFP #3 July 2013, M/C 10/4/13

BFP #4 11/14/14, EDD 07/21/14

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"