February 2015 Moms
Options

Postpartum Preeclampsia

anyone dealt with this? My DS was born over 3 weeks early on 1/24, and they noticed during labor that my bp went way up. After birth, it stayed up. They monitored me for the 2 nights I was a patient and then sent me home, thinking my own environment would help bring my bp back down to normal levels. On Thursday, I had to go in to have it checked, and it was 165/112, which is terrifying. My doctor had me immediately admitted , and for the next 24 hours I was on a magnesium sulfate drip. That stabilized me at around 130/80, which is still quite high for me, but the doctors consider it a safe level to return home. IF, that is, it would stabilize there. I just had another reading of 142/90, and it's got me stressing out.

I'm not asking for any medical advice, my nurses are great and are keeping me informed. I guess I just want to know if any bumpers out there have been through anything similar? It would be comforting to hear any shared stories, to hear that you got through it, and that I'm not alone.

Thank you all, in advance.

Re: Postpartum Preeclampsia

• Options
    No advice, but bumping! Sending good vibes your way!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    No advice either, but plenty of thoughts and prayers for you to get back to normal soon!!
    Me: 27
    DH: 28
    Together: 2005
    Married: 2008
    Naming our son after a cartoon character: 2/23/15!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    junebugjamjunebugjam member
    edited January 2015
    A friend of mine had high BP at the end of her pregnancy that continued after her son was born. She attributes a lot of it to anxiety, or a catch-22 of sorts. She would worry about her BP being high when they'd take the reading, so she'd stress herself out about it and in turn it would actually be high. She said if the doctor was talking to her, distracting her, etc while doing the reading it was obviously much lower.

That's not necessarily the only cause or what's going on with you, but I think the only real advice anyone here can give you is to just try to relax as best you can. Stressing about it is not going to help the situation and if you know you're in good hands, there's nothing to worry about.
    j & m
    married July 2012
    My Angel - Amelia Hope - 3/13/14, 22 weeks
    BFP #2 - 6/10/14     Hoping for our rainbow baby    due February 2015

• Options
    Thanks for sharing your story- I don't think I realized the possibility of preeclampsia postpartum, so I really appreciate hearing about your experience. No advice, but lots of positive thoughts for you!

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I was induced for pre-e and am now 6 days pp. my blood pressure is still high. I was sent home with no pb meds, but I am being monitored. My dr. Said it can take weeks to have it return to normal.
    T&P's for you! I know first hand how awful that magnesium is.
    <Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker>
  • Options

I was induced for pre-e and am now 6 days pp. my blood pressure is still high. I was sent home with no pb meds, but I am being monitored. My dr. Said it can take weeks to have it return to normal.
    T&P's for you! I know first hand how awful that magnesium is.

It is the WORST! Felt like I suddenly had the flu.

Thank you all for your kind words. I'm being discharged today! My bp is still high, but as junebugjam mentioned above, they actually think a lot of it is due to anxiety. I'll have a bp cuff at home, so I'll need to monitor myself for the next few weeks. Hopefully it all returns to normal soon.

Thank you all, again.
  • Options
    I told the L&D nurses I felt like a drug addict who had Parkinson's. It was just awful.
    <Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker>
  • Options
    I did with my first. My OB actually put me on blood pressure medication for my 6 week recovery period. Hope yours is controlled and remedied soon. T&ps to that effect.
  • Options

A friend of mine had high BP at the end of her pregnancy that continued after her son was born. She attributes a lot of it to anxiety, or a catch-22 of sorts. She would worry about her BP being high when they'd take the reading, so she'd stress herself out about it and in turn it would actually be high. She said if the doctor was talking to her, distracting her, etc while doing the reading it was obviously much lower.

That's not necessarily the only cause or what's going on with you, but I think the only real advice anyone here can give you is to just try to relax as best you can. Stressing about it is not going to help the situation and if you know you're in good hands, there's nothing to worry about.

This is a really cute medical story but people cannot "stress" themselves out enough to be put on a magnesium drip like our OP. Anxiety also is not an indication for Magnesium. Bring on Magnesium is completely miserable! Relaxing also is bad advice as it implies that OP can somehow control or manage postpartum (pre)eclampsia which can be quite serious. Why don't you go offer more "great" medical advice to the IF women--maybe your relaxation advice will "help" over there.
    BFP #1: It's a GIRL! DD born October, 2012
    BFP #2: m/c at 7w, February, 2014
    BFP #3: It's a BOY! Please be our rainbow! Due February, 2015

*everyone always welcome*
    image    image   image
  • Options
    I had this with my first daughter. BP spiked when I went into labor. Had mag drip twice while on the hospital. Went home on BP meds (procardua) and my doctor told me it would level back out once I got back into my own environment. About 5 weeks later it went back to normal and I came off the medicine. No problems with high BP this pregnancy. Maybe medication until it regulates? Good luck to you!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Well, unfortunately after getting sent home, my diastolic continued increasing (up to 100), so I got put on labetelol, which seems to be doing the trick. Hopefully this won't last too long.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"