Working Moms
Options

Might be going back to school...would like feedback...

Just out of curiosity, does anyone on here have a Masters in Counseling, with a concentration in mental health? If so, are you working in a related field? Do you like what you do?

Re: Might be going back to school...would like feedback...

• Options
    No but I'm a prn nurse in a mental health facility. None of the therapists have left since opening 8 months ago but that's all I can offer.
  • Options
    I'm actually working on my bachelors in psychology. The only masters my college offers is a masters in industrial/organizational psychology, and I would really like to get a masters as well. I'm not working in the field, but that's the end goal.
    Pregnant with #3, after thee, three's complete!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm getting my PhD in clinical psychology and I am loving it but it has been the hardest experience of my life. So demanding on so many levels and I have never been as challenged before as I am now. I have a year and a half left to go. What programs are you interested in?
    Me (27) & Hubby (40): 1/22/11
    EDD of 1st: 9/11/15
    PhD grad date: 6/1/16
  • Options
    I have an M.Ed in school counseling. I love my job because I get to be part of a school system and have all the benefits of teaching without being a teacher. I work for a private school so I actually do a lot of counseling, as opposed to dealing with mostly paperwork at a public school.  But I spent 4 years working in the mental health field doing behavioral consulting and mobile therapy. Most of my colleagues were burnt out and miserable. It seems that many counseling jobs are fee for service with no benefits. Private practice is always an option I guess, but you have to get your licensed, which takes forever and can cost a lot due to supervision. I honestly wouldn't recommend a master's in counseling without going the guidance counselor route. But maybe that's just my perspective.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I have an MSW (master of social work), as well as an MPH (master of public health).  I started out as a clinical social worker and get licensed, but soon thereafter transitioned into public health research, which is what I do today.  I just applied to start my PhD in public health this fall (in community health sciences), and have been taking classes since last fall.
    10/10: Married; 5/11: Dx: Blocked Fallopian Tube; 7/11: D&C/Hysteroscopy to remove polyp
    IVF #1: 9/11: ER: 12R, 11M, 10F, No Frosties; 5dt: 2 blasts, 1 morula; DD born 6/3/12
    IVF #2: 11/12-12/12: ER: 20R, 20M, 16F, 4 Frosties; 5dt: 3 blasts, DS born 8/9/13
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"