July 2015 Moms
Options

OB checking for Preeclampsia at 17 weeks?!? Nervous!

my BP has been high over the last week, started swelling suddenly....and now OB is in fact, checking for Preeclampsia. I am freaked out. I was really wanting to use a midwife, and do a natural birth at a birthing center, or potentially a hospital.

How is this possible? Have any of you had preeclampsia and carried to full term? From what I've read, you have to deliver early, and they usually want to do a c-section. I really really don't want to do a c-section.

Re: OB checking for Preeclampsia at 17 weeks?!? Nervous!

• Options
    Many women with preeclampsia have gone on to deliver healthy full term babies from vaginal delivery. One of my friends had preeclampsia and she was induced a couple weeks early but still delivered vaginally. Preeclampsia in itself is not a contraindication for a vaginal birth
  • Options
    Hi! First of all, I haven't posted in quite a while, so my apologies for the randomness of the response. I had mild preeclampsia with my first baby and it set in late third trimester. I ended up moving to part time at work and putting my feet up the rest of the day at home. Around 36 weeks, Dr had me admitted to hospital bed rest. I was induced at 37 weeks and delivered vaginally with no problems. My best friend's SIL also had pre-eclampsia and delivered a few days after me, but she was 25.5 weeks. They induced her, but her BP got too high, so they had to do a c-section. She and baby are just fine! Her daughter had to be in the hospital for a few weeks, but everyone is well now.

I was not severe enough for medication, but my BP spiked a few days after delivery and I was put on BP medicine for about 2 weeks until I leveled out on my own.

There is a LOT that OB's can do now for pre-e, so try not to freak out! Just have an open dialogue with your OB and ask as many questions as you need to so you feel comfortable and informed. You may be put on medication or bed rest. You may get to deliver vaginally, or you may need a csection. Trust your OB that the end result they are looking for is a healthy momma and a healthy baby.

Good luck!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Married 6.12.11
    Blended family with an amazing stepson! 
    BFP#1: 7.11.13 - DD born 2.24.14 
    BFP#2: 11.12.14 - EDD 7.19.15 BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    If you do in fact have preeclampsia this early you will be very closely monitored and put on BP medication. They will keep you pregnant as long as possible but if you're BP starts rising uncontrollably they will get the baby out ASAP to save both your lives. I had mild preeclampsia that set in late 3rd tri, pretty much was diagnosed at 38 weeks and induced 2 days later because I was full term but delivered vaginally no problem. Good luck! There's also something called gestational hypertension which is also high BP but less severe than preeclampsia and usually easily controlled with medication.
  • Options
    Prayers are with you .... take a deap breath, :x.

Its a good thing you are catching this early and your doctor will be able to help you.

Try not to worry (as hard as thst is) it will just stress you out even more.

• Options
    I had preeclampsia with both my past pregnancies, I was induced at 38 weeks with both.  For the first one I was on bedrest for two months.  That dr was very old school so I think that's why I was on bedrest.  With my dd I was not on bedrest but towards the end I had to go in for an u/s and non stress test twice a week.  With both of them I was in and out of the hospital for a day or two at a time when It would go really high but would always go back down so I could go home.  C-section was never mentioned for me, I think that would only be nec if you had a huge spike they couldn't bring down.

BFP: 04/03/2014  EDD: 12/15/2014  HB: 04/30/14 (75bpm) MC: 5/2/2014 (natural)

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    sarahsairsairsarahsairsair member
    edited January 2015
    I has it with DS, around 33 weeks, hospital bedrest, meds, and ultrasounds, non-stress test like pp mentioned. When bp was safer they let me go home overnight but I had to go be a day patient every second day. (This was on condition that DH drove me- I wasn't allowed to drive on meds they gave me) the drs kept telling me that depending on how I was going they would induce/ c-section, but I made it to 37 weeks- ob did say I needed an epidural if I wanted to deliver vaginally as pain can spike ur BP.. I was fine with that. Baby was fine- I had to stay an extra week, as my kidneys started to fail in labour and then my BP spiked again after I delivered which is rare, but it's been normal for the past 2 years or more.
    It's good that they are checking you early- it can be dangerous for you if left untreated
    What I learnt is listen to your dr, and be really clear what you want (eg if u want to deliver vaginally/ not stay in hospital full time) and they will work with you as long it doesn't put your life or baby in danger
  • Options
    I was diagnosed at 39 weeks and 3 days-sent to the hospital and induced immediately. Better they momitor you nice and early so you and baby are safe. Scary but know you are better monitored than not.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    It's better that they found it now. I have severe preeclampsia and didn't have the slightest clue until one day I was in unbearable pain and went to the ER. Found out the next morning I had to have an emergency c-section. I was close to 35 weeks. With this pregnancy they expect it so I have to give 24 hour urine samples every so often and am taking baby aspirin to "hopefully" hold it off a little longer. I do not have high blood pressure and didn't throughout my first pregnancy.
  • Options
    I should also mention the reason I didn't have an option to try to deliver vaginally is because my liver was extremely swollen and starting to fail.
    Good luck to you and LO!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"