2nd Trimester
Options

Group B strep at 24 weeks

Just found out i have grouo B strep...has anybody else had it? Should i.be worried about my son? Any success stories.

Best Answer

• Options
    tinktink20tinktink20 member
    Answer ✓
    I had it with both my girls. It was no big deal. They just had to give me antibiotics before the epidural at the hospital.

Answers

• Options
    It'll be fine, super tiny risk but definitely explore ways to clear it up prior to delivery. Probiotics for one. I personally would want to forgo the antibiotics if possible
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had it with my first, they did an antibiotic through IV when I was in labor, she's fine.
  • Options
    jennygirlmtjennygirlmt member
    edited January 2015
    It's super common in everyone. No you don't worry. They'll just give antibiotics during labor.

Eta- I was positive with my first and negative with my second.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Yes, try to clear it up and they should retest you closer to your due date
  • Options
    bhk3bhk3 member
    edited January 2015
    I am confused why they gave OP the test at 24 weeks in the first place. The American Pregnancy Association's (as well as Mayo Clinic, American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, etc.) website on Group B states the following:

"A woman may test positive at certain times and not at others. That’s why it is important for all pregnant women to be tested for group B strep between 35 to 37 weeks of every pregnancy. [...]  [S]tudies show that testing done within 5 weeks of delivery is the most accurate at predicting the GBS status at time of birth.

OP, are you going to have a followup test done once you're in that time period?

Source: https://americanpregnancy.org/pregnancy-complications/group-b-strep-infection/

BabyFruit Ticker 
  • Options
    I agree with @bhk3 that's super weird why they would want to test sooo early. Just wait and test again but if you have to drink antibiotics then go ahead, as long as the baby is safe.

• Options
    They didnt give me.the test i.went in to.see about a uti and it wasnt a uti but they found strep. And yes she said the will retest i just never heard of that before so i was nervous
  • Options
    Thank you i am going to try to clear it but will.be taking antibiotics as well
  • Options
    Thank you ladies for the answers and reassurance. It's appreciated!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"