January 2015 Moms

Baths?

Upon discharge, I was told not to take a bath for six weeks. I don't recall being told to only shower after giving birth to my dd1, so this was new to me. I am dying for a soak with a glass of wine. Ok, maybe not exactly dying. Anyhow, after a Google search, I haven't found any real reason that would prohibit me from taking a bath. My delivery was really uncomplicated with minimal tearing. Was anybody else advised not to take a bath?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Baths?

• I was told at my 1 week post-op appt that I'm fine to take a bath.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I was also encouraged to sit in a bath. I have heard to not use things like bubble bath though, just in case it can cause infection/irritation when you're still healing.
  • Yeah, I've read online too that it may be encouraged to take a bath. Hmmm
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Both times I have been told no baths for 6 weeks.
  • I know I was told that with my first (c section) but I also know they often recommend sitz baths after delivery which doesnt seem all that different to me. Pretty sure I had short baths well before 6 weeks even after my c section. I wouldn't use bubbles or anything though.
  • I had 4th degree tearing and I was told to do sitz baths or regular baths upon discharge to help with healing.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • That's interesting, I have never heard no baths. I had a csection and was actually told to take baths, I wouldn't think a vaginal would be much different

BabyFruit Ticker

• I was told to do sitz baths regular after both deliveries. They really helped last time with my 3rd/4th degree tear. This time I really feel okay? But baths are so relaxing that I have been looking forward to taking one.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie - (B9PH)

Lilypie - (0YVF)
     TTC since 11/2009; Lap/HSG/Hysteroscopy: 5/2011 (endometriosis - removed; endocervical polyp - removed; high pressure in bilateral tubes - cleared)

BFP #1: 8/4/11; DS1 born sleeping on 11/16/11 at 19w1d

BFP # 2: 5/7/12, EDD 1/10/13, DS2 born 1/4/13

BFP # 3: 11/8/13, EDD 7/17/14, mmc 10wks

BFP # 4: 5/16/14, EDD 1/15/15, praying for our 2nd rainbow baby 

• I also was told not to take baths for a while. When I asked why, they said because I could still be dilated for some time and water could go inside.
  • I've also been told no baths for 6 weeks. It's to prevent infection. When the placenta detaches it leaves an open wound in your uterus. Introducing bath water (and whatever else) can cause problems.
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

• I was told no baths for 6 weeks but I think it was because I had a C-section.  I am dying for one too!  PS- you can still have the glass of wine without the bath :)
  • I was told to take a bath. They had me take one in the hospital even. I don't stay in Long though.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • There is a lot of conflicting info on this. Generally the hospital staff not my doctor said no baths for 6 weeks. I waited 2 weeks before I took a shallow bath mostly covered the butt area to prevent infection in the vagina. I didn't have a large tear I would have waited longer if I had a larger year.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"