1st Trimester
Options

Maternity leave question for 2+ mums and/or teachers

KateLouiseKateLouise member
edited January 2015 in 1st Trimester
This is the third baby for us, but the first time I've had to decide when to take maternity leave.

My last two were due in the middle of the summer break, so I naturally stopped working around 35 weeks.

This baby is due on the last day of our 3rd term. (out of 4 terms)

I know it's  along way off, and anything could happen between now and then, but the school year is just starting, and so when I start leave will affect when I teach some of my units.

Both of my first babies were born at 40 weeks and 5 days, and I feel like I was fine right up until the end. BUT, I wasn't working, so maybe I felt fine because I didn't have to do anything if I didn't feel like it.

I suppose I'm curious as to when other Mums have/or plan to start maternity leave. 
Also I'll be taking 2 years off work, so a couple of weeks either way won't make a huge difference to how much time I have at home with baby.

Thoughts?

ETA: Another thing in my thinking, if I make it to the end of term (even if I took the last couple of days as sick days) then I will get paid over the school break. Which means another 2 weeks pay, which we'd be fine without, but it's a nice extra to have.
Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

Re: Maternity leave question for 2+ mums and/or teachers

• Options
    I worked up to my due date with both my pregnancies. I plan to do the same with this one. I am finding it harder this time, I'm almost 30 weeks. I'm pushing through though.
  • Options
    My company allowed for me to start leave two weeks prior to my due date so I did that.  I am glad I did since I wasn't really sleeping much at the end due to heartburn.  
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I worked up until the day I went in to labor.  I had the baby after work.  I am a teacher.  I think it is doable.  I'd rather have the time off with my baby. 
  • Options

I was induced due to BP and protein issues with my son on August 3rd (school started the 5th) so did not return to work). With my daughter I was due August 18th and school started the first week of August. I worked the first two weeks and had to leave around 10:30 on the Friday of my 2nd week (I was being monitored for HBP and protein in my urine, protein reached 2500+mg so my doctor recommended inducing). I am due August 22nd this time and plan to work until I have to deliver.

DS1: 8/3/10, DD1: 8/17/13, DD2: 8/13/15
    Twins lost to due to partial molar pregnancy: September 2011 
    ~~PAL, PgAL Always Welcome~~
  • Options
    I am also a teacher and plan to work up until I go into labor, but this is my first baby, so I'm not sure what to expect, or if that will be doable for me or not.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"