1st Trimester
Options

Prenatals (first child)

Okay so yesterday I got a prescription for prenatal vitamins from my family doctor, however when i went to Walmart to get them filled they informed me that they were sold out and wouldn't be gettin that kind again and that i needed to get my doctor to change it, i have my first prenatal appointment next Wednesday and i'll be almost 9 weeks my question is should i be fine not taking prenatal vitamins until i can get to the doctor next Wednesday?

Re: Prenatals (first child)

• Options
    You can take any OTC gummy vitamin. You don't need a prescription. While you most likely will be fine without, it's highly recommended you take them. They don't have to be fancy. I take the Target brand prenatal gummy.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    I've looked into the One-A-Day prenatal too and it hits the recommended bases. It'd tide you over at least :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    You can take any OTC gummy vitamin. You don't need a prescription. While you most likely will be fine without, it's highly recommended you take them. They don't have to be fancy. I take the Target brand prenatal gummy.

+1 vote for the gummies!
    The traditional pill made me sick.
  • Options
    Only caution with the gummies is that they do not contain any iron which many women need during pregnancy. If you don't have a problem taking a normal prenatal, that is generally what is recommended (any OTC should be okay till you see your doctor unless you have other health issues). Usually the gummies are a good second best if your stomach can't handle the iron in the normal ones. If you do take the gummies make sure you are getting good iron sources in your regular diet and let you doctor know when you see them next time. Some doctors will check levels to make sure you are not getting anemia as this is more common in pregnancy.

You really need to be taking something though as this is critical time for preventing birth defects that can be cause by vitamin deficiencies during first trimester.
  • Options
    I'm assuming you want the 'script so your insurance or payflex can pay for it? If that's the case, buy a small bottle to get you buy. You want the folic acid in them ASAP. I take the pill form, because I have anemic tendencies. It's hard on the stomach, so I cut them in half and do half with breakfast and half with supper. It seems to work. My bloodwork came back good for iron, so I'll stick with them, though the gummies sound more appealing.
    BabyGaga
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"