November 2014 Moms

Average length of feedings?

Hi all. My DS is ten weeks today. This last week or so I am noticing his feedings are getting shorter. He used to take between 35-45 minutes a feeding and now I'm seeing more like 25-35. He's been gaining weight well to this point so I'm not concerned really. I know as they get bigger and older they get more efficient at the breast but I was just curious what others are experiencing at this point. We have a weight check appointment tomorrow. I know every baby is different but I was wondering the general average. Thanks!
Pregnancy Ticker

It's a Boy!  Can't wait to meet the newest man in my life!  

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Average length of feedings?

• jess123456jess123456 member
    edited January 2015
    My son is also the same age and he nurses for about 10-15 minutes per side. I know when he is done if he isn't fussy. If he is fussy I burp him and if he settles down I assume he is done otherwise I put him back on.
  • My little guy is also around that age and has been the same way. My nipples are quite happy about the change of pace. <:-P
  • Loading the player...
  • G is 10w too and her feedings are ranging 15-20 min usually on one side only. But she's in the 20th percentile on weight. The dr isn't too concerned because she's gaining but I have an almost 3mo old that's still in newborn clothes.... Sigh.

• I spoke to a lactation consultant about this because mine takes only 10 min on one side. Doctor said they start to get more efficient so as long as weight gain is continuing and wet diapers every couple hours, it is ok.
  • My little man used to eat for 20-30mins now only eats for 5-10mins and only takes one side. He was 7lbs11.5oz when he was born and now at 11 weeks he is 14lbs and in 3-6month clothes!! They can get what they need pretty quick!!
  • He is 9 weeks and nurses about 10 minutes on one side. He was 7 lbs 6 oz at birth and he is now 13 lbs. But he has super suction.
  • Thank you ladies. My little guy weighed in at 11 lb 3 oz today so we're doing well! I'm glad to hear people are having a similar experience.
    Pregnancy Ticker

It's a Boy!  Can't wait to meet the newest man in my life!  

BabyFetus Ticker

• My baby is also 10 weeks! Same weight as yours 11lbs and while I haven't timed him I have noticed too that it's getting shorter. I'm thinking his efficiency is getting better finally.
  • She nurses for about 1.5 hours , shoot me! Shortest she has ever fed was for 40 minutes and that was one time. Unthinking a because I have major supply issues and it takes that long to get what she needs :-(
  • Deardra77 said:
    She nurses for about 1.5 hours , shoot me! Shortest she has ever fed was for 40 minutes and that was one time. Unthinking a because I have major supply issues and it takes that long to get what she needs :-(
    Ahh, been there done that with my first son.  He was a non-stop cluster feeder for months.  I didn't have a supply issue either - he was a large baby and just enjoyed it and/or took his time. He sort of outgrew it around 4 or 4.5 months.  The little guy I have now is the complete opposite - spaced out, short, efficient feeds.  I almost thought something was wrong with him because I was so used to my first experience as "normal."  But hang in there mama - it won't last forever.  I just remember how horrible it was to constantly nurse for hours.  It made me cry sometimes! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"