December 2014 Moms
Options

5 week old sleeping less during the day but not increasing much at night

5 week old only napping for 20-30 mins at a time during the day, but still only sleeps in 2-3 hour stints at night. Usually after 3am he may only sleep for one hour at a time for the next few hours before staying mostly awake for the day. Every now and hen he sleeps just over 3 hours at night, but not often. He had been totally 16-18 hours a day for a while, but now he has been getting more like 12-14 hours of sleep in 24 hours plus or minus a few hours. Should I be concerned that he isn't getting enough sleep?

Re: 5 week old sleeping less during the day but not increasing much at night

• Options
    Call your doctor if you are concerned. If they aren't worried you shouldn't be either. If you don't like the answer then get a second opinion.
  • Options
    My experience with DS and now DD is that some days they sleep more and some days they sleep less. Your babies sleeping and eating patterns will change as they grow. Something similar has been going on with my DD the last couple days. She's 6 weeks old today.
    Check out the wonder weeks app. It explains when to expect growth spurts and changes. They get needier and cling more or maybe feed more during those times. If your LO is almost 6 weeks the wonder weeks app could help.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks! I'll check it out! Baby slept 5 hours in a row the other night!! He must be going through some jind of growth spurt too! He are a lot moe over the past few days too!
  • Options
    Mine fights the swaddle if I use the A&a blankets but if I get him with the halo swaddle sleep sack then he can't resist and it makes him sleep a lot. I think more than fighting the swaddle he just moves a lot in his sleep and the Velcro keeps the swaddle tight unlike a blanket. Also if he wears a onesie without footies I always put socks on.
  • Options
    We try to swaddled, but he wiggles
    Out of it a lot. We have other kinds of wraps that work better. The other night when he finally slept 5 hours we had him wrapped in the halo! I guess we will just have to try to wrap him a little tighter at night
  • Options
    My son has a similar sleep pattern now. He sleeps less during the day and still only two hours or so at night. Once or twice it's gone three hours. My son also doesn't like to be bundled he actually hates his arms being pinned down in the matter what he's wearing always manages to find a way to wiggle them out. He likes sleep with his arms over his head.
    Post-Natal Loss at 32 weeks, LTTC of 26th Months, 5 failed IUIs, Conception via 4th IVF Cycle in April 2014
    EDD: January 3rd, 2015! 

• Options
    I'm also going through this! He was sleeping really well until about 5 weeks, 5-6 hours at a time for the first stretch of sleep (sometimes even 7-8 hours). Now it's more like 3 hours for the first stretch, then getting progressively shorter. I put him down at 5am and he was up again in 30 minutes. He's also not napping, and the last two days has slept less than 10 hours total. He'd sleep more if I let him sleep on me but I keep hoping to catch a little sleep. I'm at my wits end! Seriously, it gets better? Wondering how anyone ever decides to have a second one... He sleeps swaddled in a bassinet with the head elevated. I've also tried the RnP with marginal success. To top it off, the last few days he's fussed whenever DH holds him after work so I get no breaks.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    try transferring to a swing or bouncy seat once he's asleep on you for naps. up to 3 months i tend to have a whatever works philosophy. i will let my 5 week old fall asleep on me then usually swaddle w/ a&a and transfer to bassinet. one day i put her in bouncy seat and next thing i knew she was asleep and took a long nap there. i also watch the clock and try very hard to get her asleep within two hours of her last wakeup. she'll get very fussy once she's been up longer and it gets harder to put her down and have her stay asleep. if i know she's not hungry i'll swaddle her up and try a pacifier, which works about 10% of the time. i often nurse to sleep.

at night i love the halo sleep sack swaddles, give those a shot? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"