Working Moms
Options

Flexible work proposal

Does anyone have experience with writing a proposal for a reduced workload? I asked my boss for a reduced schedule so that I could spend a day home with my baby, and she wants me to put together a list of the work I currently deliver, what I will be able to deliver on a reduced schedule, etc. I'm thinking of going to 70% and taking Mondays off, along with starting at 10AM instead of 8AM on Tuesdays and Thursdays. My son's daycare doesn't do half days so I'm not sure if there is any point in taking a day and a half. Just looking for tips or online resources if anyone has experience with writing the proposal and also figuring out the best schedule! Thanks so much!

Re: Flexible work proposal

• Options
    If you do a later start on Tues & Thursday mornings, you could still take him to daycare and run errands.  Trust me, those are the things that I find are the hardest to do around full time work (but they need to be kid-free!)  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Yes.  I originally proposed 80% and this past year went to 72% for various reasons.  My big suggestions are to think about:  1.  where the additional work would go (ie, would they have to hire someone part-time, add it to someone else's responsibilities, etc.), 2. think about the financial implications of it (I think often times it would end up saving the employer money, for example you would take a 20% salary cut PLUS probably a benefits cut and if they hire a non-benefits eligible part-time person they won't pay for the benefits and presumably their salary would be less), and 3. I always suggest that you propose it for a trial period (this makes it easier to agree to and in my experiences with it both as a manager approving it and as an employee taking it, we have never actually revisited it at the end of the trail period).

I have done several different arrangements myself:  4 full days, 5 days ending at 3, and now I am 4 days (3 of which end at 3).  Several of the people I supervise have done different schedules as well. Let me know if you have other questions.  Good luck!  Best thing I've done.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"