January 2015 Moms

Post Partum question

Yup, this 4th time mom has a post Partum question. You'd think I'd know, but this is new to me.
Some of you might want to hurt me, but please don't. :D

So I had Liam on Friday, and as of yesterday my bleeding is no longer, except some very light pink bouts from time to time. I'm still in a regular pad though, because I'm gushing fluid when I go to get up, have contractions while nursing ect. It's basically clear fluid, with no smells.
I have never had this before. Anyone else have this, or know what it would be? (Yes, I'm serious! )

Re: Post Partum question

• Nope. Never had that. Always had blood - light, dark, varying amounts, but never clear fluid. Maybe ask your dr?
  • Yeah, I was gonna call, but office is still closed.

• Loading the player...
  • Idk about the fluid but nursing does cause contractions for a little while so your uterus will shrink.

• saiven said:

I'm thinking it might be mucus? That bloody discharge we have is a mixture of blood, mucus and tissue so maybe you're done with the blood and tissue and just have mucus?

I have no freaking idea though, but I'm sure it's no big deal. Let us know what to doctor says

It soaks my pad though, like with one gush.
    I looked up online and others have the same problem, but no real answers. It's so strange. I read that it could be urine, but I know it's not.

@aks01‌
    I'm aware of nursing causing contractions to shrink the uterus.

• This was kind of how I was my last full day in the hospital, I needed the pad but it wasn't really that bloody. It was more of a pale pink color. After I came home, I had days like that as well but if I did too much it would be bloody again. I basically wore a pad for two weeks to catch varying levels of blood and discharge.
  • I was noticing something similar during my first few days home. I just assumed it was watered-down urine... between the IV fluids and all the extra water I've been drinking, I couldn't hold it in when I stood up after sitting for a while.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I never had that. I only bled for 2 weeks, but no clear fluids after or anything.  Let us know when you ask your doctor because I'm curious!
    (Zoe Claire- born at 33.6 weeks- November 19, '14 - 5lbs 15oz)
  • edited January 2015
    I vaguely remember this from nursing school-- I think it's part of the normal progression of postpartum discharge, unless it seems like it's a really large quantity. From Wikipedia:

[Lochia] progresses through three stages:[4]

1. Lochia rubra (or cruenta) is the first discharge, red in color because of the large amount of blood it contains. It typically lasts no longer than 3 to 5 days after birth.
    2. Lochia serosa is the term for lochia that has thinned and turned brownish or pink in color. It contains serous exudateerythrocytesleukocytes, and cervical mucus. This stage continues until around the tenth day after delivery. Lochia serosa which persists to some weeks after birth can indicate late postpartum hemorrhaging, and should be reported to a physician.
    3. Lochia alba (or purulenta) is the name for lochia once it has turned whitish or yellowish-white. It typically lasts from the second through the third to sixth weeks after delivery. It contains fewer red blood cellsand is mainly made up of leukocytesepithelial cellscholesterolfat, and mucus. Continuation beyond a few weeks can indicate a genital lesion, which should be reported to a physician.

ETA: I know the timeline doesn't exactly line up for you, but maybe your body is just super efficient? I'd still check with your OB, but I wouldn't be too worried.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I called the birth center looking for answers. I'm more curious then anything. I'm not worried.
    The nurse had no clue, so told me to call my midwife.
    They are closed still, but not sure it really warrants a call to satisfy my curiosity.

• That's according to the textbook timeline, but I definitely had reddish pink stuff for weeks after DD1 (though I think my recovery was set back by my appendectomy 10 days postpartum). None of my providers ever seemed concerned about it.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @MaPetiteFamille‌ From what you posted it sounds like by four weeks there shouldn't be any discharge that is red or pinkish? Or did I misunderstand it? I only ask because I don't remember having to wear a pad this long (LO is four weeks today), but I'm still spotting reddish to pinkish stuff. Does anyone know if that's normal? @LaBellaVida‌ if you do find out what it is, let us know! I didn't have that, but I'm curious what it could be!
    @littlefoote I am a month postpartum and still have pink-red discharge. A few days ago I would have called it light flow, now it is just spotting. Midwife wasn't worried as long as it is gradually slowing down.
    DD#1 (6), DD#2 (4), DD#3 (0)

• @aks01‌
    I'm aware of nursing causing contractions to shrink the uterus.

Sorry I most definitely misread your question.

• I am 1mth post today with my 4th and am still spotting and having the clear gushes like OP mentioned (never bled this long and never had the clear fluid with any of my previous pregnancies).  I have no idea what the deal is.  LOL  My husband keeps bugging me to call my doc (I'm also having what I suspect to be a prolapsing bladder...), but I keep putting it off.  Let us know what you find out!!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I asked the RN I Saw today. I let her know about the gushes. She says it's probably urine.

I know I'm not pissing myself, for a fact!
    It's clear, no smell, and I know my body, and I know it's not pee. It feels like your water breaking. A big gush.

I'll probably never know. I'm not going to waste my midwifes time. It's clearly 'normal' and nothing to be concerned with.

Perhaps it's just excess water from pregnancy, or iv fluids ect. ..pooling in the uterus. Who knows.

• I read somewhere that our pp discharge have multiple stages: bright red bleeding , then dark red, then light pink, then brownish, then light brown, then yellowish, then whitish and clear. Maybe you are done already with the whitish stage hence the clear discharge??

i love you, my little mooncake mahal kita

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

imageimageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"