Success after IF

Question about IVF - LC mentioned

Hi everyone,
I apologize if this question is not being asked on the right board, but I'm not sure where else to ask it!

I conceived my 3 year old son naturally after 2 months of trying, so it was a shock to me after a year and a half trying for baby #2 when we had not been successful. We started IVF and became pregnant on the first try. The embryologist said that the embryo got the highest quality grading, which made me hopeful after the transfer. I have now learned that the grading doesn't necessary mean a healthy pregnancy/baby. On December 30, we went for our first ultrasound, and were told that the baby was measuring behind, and the heart rate was low, at 92bpm. About a week later at our followup, no heart rate was detected. I had a D&C on January 7th. We received the results of the chromosome analysis today, showing that the reason for miscarriage was a chromosomal issue; an extra chromosome 8 (Trisomy 8).

My question is, we now have 5 frozen embryos that we can use to try again. Should I be worried about the condition of the frozen embryos? We will certainly consult with the Dr at our follow up, but in the meantime, I'm trying to get some information on my own. I would think that the issue was with that one sperm and that one egg and that the frozen embryos are probably fine, but as you know, it's now hard not to be skeptical about every little thing!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Question about IVF - LC mentioned

• Sorry for your loss. I would ask the doctor if you should thaw the frozen embryos and have them cgh tested for chromosomal issues. How old are you? If you are over 35 chromosomal issues are more prevelant.

In my opinion you have two choices
    1. Have the embryos tested this doesn't guarantee you won't mc for another reason however the reason wouldn't be chromosomal

2. Implant another embryo and see how things go this is a big emotional and financial risk but if your young and your re doesn't think this will happen again you could go this route

If you have future mc pm me I have had 6 and have gone to all the top ppl in the country and will give you info.
    6 m/c
    Anovulatory cycles, increased Synthroid Diagnosed Sep 2010
    Natural cycle Dec 2010 BFP M/C 6 1/2 Weeks, D&E Jan 2011
    1 Clomid/Ovidrel BFN May 2011
    Natural cycle Aug 2011 BFP M/C 4 Weeks
    1 IUI Sept 2011 BFP M/c 7 weeks
    Provera Dec 2011 BFP M/C 3 Weeks
    DQ ALPHA HLA MATCH, High NK Cells Diagnosed Dec 2011
    IVF March 2012 BFP m/c 4weeks 5 days (IL, Prednisone)
    IVF#2w/DS July 2012 MEGA FAILURE BFN (IL, Dexamethasone)
    Diagnosed No real HLA Match, DQ Beta Triad, High TNF, Low NK Cells
    Oct 2012 Natural Cycle m/c 4wks (Lovenox, Prednisone) 
    Went to Beer Center- high tnf, low lad, implantation failure
    Nov/Dec 2012 LIT Treatment
    Dec 12 Humira
    Jan 2013 BFP
    Humira,LIT,Prednisone, Lovenox, IVIG, Baby Aspirin
    Miracle Born August 2013 Premature

Yours doesn't have to be a sad story

Lilypie - (ugiy)

• I am so sorry for your loss. With my first IVF cycle, we also transferred two embryos that were graded the highest grade. I became pregnant with a singleton and had a m/c between 8-9 weeks. It was my second m/c. At that time we had three frozen embryos from the cycle, but my RE suggested another fresh cycle because he couldn't guarantee that we would have two good embryos survive the thaw for a FET. (We were deep into a long IF journey at that point.) Anyway, we did a second fresh cycle, transferred two "perfect" embryos, I got pregnant with a singleton, and nine months later had my son. We had four frozen embryos from that cycle. In short, we transferred four "perfect" embryos and got one take home baby.

When we went back to TTC again we went straight to a FET. We thawed two embies, both survived, and I got pregnant with twins. So we transferred two frozen embryos and got two take home babies.

Loss is so hard, and the combination of IF and loss is even harder. I just did a quick Google search that said Trisomy 8 is not a genetic condition. That means it's not something you or your h carries and passes on to children. I am not a doctor, but I wuldn't worry about your five frozen embryos.

I know from experience that it's so hard to move ahead after a loss. I am so sorry you are going through this and wish you the best of luck with everything.
    Unexplained Infertility

After two Clomid cycles, three injectable IUI cycles, two IVFs, two miscarriages, and one lap surgery, IVF #2 has brought us our little boy!

TTC #2
    After months of being postponed or cancelled, FET #1.3 (Natural FET) brought us twin girls!

Surprise! Baby #4 is due in March!
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks so much to both of you! Just having opinions from other ladies helps. While I do have some friends that have had miscarriages, none of them have been through IVF, so that is an additional layer that I don't like talking about with people who haven't been through it.

This was my first IVF cycle, following the diagnosis of unexplained secondary infertility. We transferred one embryo and got pregnant. We have 5 left, and I will continue to transfer one at a time as long as there is no reason to believe that there is any issue with them.

I have read that Trisomy 8 is not genetic as well, so that is good. As far as age goes, I am 30 and my husband is 29, we are both healthy and have gone through all of the genetic and fertility testing. My OB/GYN is the one that discovered the loss of heartbeat and performed the D&C. She doesn't believe there is any reason to think that the frozen embryos are impacted in any way. I am going to double check with the RE when we see her next.

luvboston, are you from Boston? I live in Massachusetts.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Yes from boston
    6 m/c
    Anovulatory cycles, increased Synthroid Diagnosed Sep 2010
    Natural cycle Dec 2010 BFP M/C 6 1/2 Weeks, D&E Jan 2011
    1 Clomid/Ovidrel BFN May 2011
    Natural cycle Aug 2011 BFP M/C 4 Weeks
    1 IUI Sept 2011 BFP M/c 7 weeks
    Provera Dec 2011 BFP M/C 3 Weeks
    DQ ALPHA HLA MATCH, High NK Cells Diagnosed Dec 2011
    IVF March 2012 BFP m/c 4weeks 5 days (IL, Prednisone)
    IVF#2w/DS July 2012 MEGA FAILURE BFN (IL, Dexamethasone)
    Diagnosed No real HLA Match, DQ Beta Triad, High TNF, Low NK Cells
    Oct 2012 Natural Cycle m/c 4wks (Lovenox, Prednisone) 
    Went to Beer Center- high tnf, low lad, implantation failure
    Nov/Dec 2012 LIT Treatment
    Dec 12 Humira
    Jan 2013 BFP
    Humira,LIT,Prednisone, Lovenox, IVIG, Baby Aspirin
    Miracle Born August 2013 Premature

Yours doesn't have to be a sad story

Lilypie - (ugiy)

• Me too. :) What a coincidence!
    Unexplained Infertility

After two Clomid cycles, three injectable IUI cycles, two IVFs, two miscarriages, and one lap surgery, IVF #2 has brought us our little boy!

TTC #2
    After months of being postponed or cancelled, FET #1.3 (Natural FET) brought us twin girls!

Surprise! Baby #4 is due in March!
  • Wow, that's too funny! I'm praying we don't lose power during this storm :)

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Give us an update when you get to the freeze stage! Good luck @lazfam1120‌ !!!
    TTC Since 3/2010
    Me-36, Unexplained Infertility, DH-35, all clear
    Clomid 50mg 12/2011 = BFN
    Clomid 100mg 1/2012 = BFN, with Cyst
    IVF #1 Lupron/Menopur/Gonal-f/HCG Trigger
    ER 4/19/12 = 11 retrieved, 6 fertilized,
    ET 4/22/12 = 2 transfered (day 3), remaining 3 weren't good enough to freeze
    Beta 5/3 = BFP, 87 Beta #2 5/7 560.9 Beta #3 5/9 1376.5 First u/s One Baby, 125bpm!
    Second u/s, 176bmp! Kicked over to the OB by the RE at 8w. Team Green!! 
    Baby girl J arrived two weeks early! Born into water, med-free. Hooray for Team Pink!

TTC #2 - back to the RE, treatment started 12/2014. 

• I will! I don't see the RE for a follow up until after I get a period back. Tomorrow will be 3 weeks post D&C, and my OB last week said she thought it would be soon based on her exam of the lining.

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"