High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Cvs results - first trimester screening

This has been a painful and scary week when learning that my baby has a NT of 6.5 mm. Thickness behind the neck. I was told this in the top percentage, indicating some sort of defect. I am a 31 y/o first time pregnancy.

After learning that this may be a symptom of Down's syndrome amongst other defects, they had made an appointment for my CVS. The procedure was done abdominally, was quick but painful.

The fish test that gives results of 13, 18, 21, X, and Y chromosomes, we were able to get these results back on Friday and they thankfully came back negative ( which includes Down's and Turner syndrome). We now wait for the the remaining CVS results and several other tests that may follow.

We are scared and wondered if there is anyone out there that is going through this or has gone through this in the past ...

Re: Cvs results - first trimester screening

• Options

My baby had a measurement of 3.8 and we went ahead with a CVS as well. FISH results were quick like yours, full karyotype took a bit over a week, maybe even closer to 2. 6mths ago that seemed like it took forever, but now its just a quick blink.

In our case the karyotype came back normal. We were offered a microarray as well as additional testing for Noonan's. We declined both as Noonan's seemed less likely and the microarray (as explained to us by our genetic counselor) was such a broad check that sometimes results come back that they can't interpret. DH and I decided we couldn't handle the emotional stress of a possible inconclusive.

We had a fetal echo performed at 22wks which was also normal. MFM decided that they wanted to continue monitoring growth and did another growth check at 28 wks. I'm not sure if we would've been cleared at that point or not but my AFI was low-normal so I've continued to be monitored extensively since then. Its still stressful and this weekend alone we've had to deal with a lot. But its just part of my pregnancy and has nothing to do with my earlier results.

Yes, this is incredibly scary. I was a mess for weeks. I didn't get to a place where I really felt comfortable until we got the results from the cardiologist. From there I felt like I could breathe again and started being able to actually enjoy my pregnancy instead of being in fear all the time. We smiled more and actually registered. Decided on a name.

While this was our experience and how we handled any decision making and emotional stress that doesn't mean its the right way to go about for your family or anyone else. Just take one day at a time and do what is best for you guys. Good luck!

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Hey, I'm 15 weeks and at my 12 week scan the nuchal translucency was 7.8 mm- very scary, I had the cvs procedure a few weeks ago and everything has come back normal , be anatomy of the baby was also normal but there is still a significant amount of fluid under the neck . It's so scary I know what your going through. I'm 22 with my first baby and was pretty much made to think the very worst , have been through a whole rollercoaster , but it just shows that signs of there being something not right, can just be exactly that - a symptom but actually nothing at all. I still have to go back in 2 weeks to check the fluid so praying it is going down. It's just so worrying. Since you mentioned turners syndrome , I'm guessing you were told your baby is a girl ! Congratulations . And the first results have come back as normal which is the first barrier . Stay positive , as the results could all be okay x
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I just got my results from the panorama test saying the baby is at an increased risk (1:255) for monosomy X (turners syndrome). We have our NT scan set for Monday and will schedule a CVS soon after.

Try to keep thinking positive and I'll be sending good vibes and prayers your way.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"