1st Trimester
Options

After having brain surgery, what would pregnancy and birth like? I am 6 weeks along.

I had brain surgery for epilepsy 2 years ago.  There's alot to pregnancy I know that, there has been a lot thru my family but I'm curious if anything will be different for me for having had part of my temporal lobe removed.  No seizures so far but still on medication and cronic head pains and headaches a lot. I would love any relations to pregnancy with epilepsy or post-brain surgery. Thank you!  

Answers

• Options
    vballbabyvballbaby member
    edited January 2015
    I just wanted to say hi. My sister has epilepsy and was facing surgery a few years ago but they were able to finally control with meds. I know how delicate epilepsy can be with balancing meds and you are so incredibly brave to have gone through with the surgery! My sis would have to be off depakote before she started TTC. I'm sorry you're still having head pain but great news no more seizures! Where did you have your surgery? We go to UM Miami. I hope you get some answers but I would also ask these questions to your neurologist, they are the only ones who have a clue when it comes to your very unique situation. Best of luck to you!!
    Edit for words :) "bravery" to be exact
    Me 42, DH 33, TTC for about a year naturally (but no protection for 4 yrs). Together 6 yrs, married June 2014.
    CD 3, FSH of 15, E2 67, AMH 0.43, LH 6.2, normal HSG test
    DH good count but low volume, 87% motility, 1% morphology
    IUI#1 - Nov 2014, 100 mg clomid and HCG, 2 large follies 20 & 16mm (7 follies total). BFN
    IVF# 1 Jan 2014, 225 Gonal F, 225 Menopur, Ganirelix, 4R/3M/1F w/ICSI - PUPO!

• Options
    Thank you :) For years a local doctor said surgery wasn't an option, that it was from all over the brain. There was no exact point. I got to the point where I was on different medications/ too many medications and it wasnt helping. Side effects were becoming worse than the seizures! At least for me. Depakote was actually one of the worst I was on. My local doctor finally looked deeper into it and suggested another doctor. I found another in Pittsburgh, Pa. They were great! Instantly changed medications and found the area that they were coming from. I couldn't be more thankful.
    This doctor has always been very supportive on me having kids. I just have never met anyone else that has had surgery and then pregnant. I'm very curious.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I don't have any advice but I wanted to say congratulations on your pregnancy and I'm sorry to hear about your medical issues, I hope things continue to look up for you and you have a happy and healthy pregnancy!
  • Options
    annamariep87annamariep87 member
    edited January 2015
    No experience with this, but I am SO GLAD you found a new doctor. I don't think enough people get second or even third opinions. My mother died of cancer years ago and the original doc gave her 2 months but the second doc did experimental therapies that gave us a wonderful 2 extra years with her.

Congratulations on your pregnancy and lack of seizures! :)
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Options
    Thank you!
  • Options
    Again, no experience here but wanted to tell you congratulations and I hope you have a healthy pregnancy! Maybe ask your doctor if he has had or knows of other patients that have been in the same boat? He can't give you their info, but I'm assuming his encouragement is based off some knowledge or experience with post-lobectomy mommies to be. Also, maybe search online for a epilepsy mommy group? You're definitely welcome here, of course!
    BabyGaga
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"