Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Experience with tubes/adenoid removal

Hi, my DS is 18mo old and the ENT just called me today to say that his adenoid x-ray showed they were very large. He has had 4 ear infections, three since last June so he was recommending tubes and adenoids. CJ is always congested, runny nose, breathes through his mouth, and snores a lot. My husband is opposed to the tubes because he is a big swimmer and has taught kids swim lessons for a long time and is concerned that CJ will have issues swimming. We have a pool in our backyard so hubby doesn't want to hinder CJ's love of water. Does anyone know what the guidelines are for swimming with tubes and overall how their kids have done since the surgery? Tysm!

Re: Experience with tubes/adenoid removal

• Options

Why would your husband risk your child's health just so he can swim?  Doesn't make sense to me.

DD is 22 months and had tubes put in almost a year ago after having several ear infections.  She hasn't had a single problem since then and can go swimming if she wears ear plugs.  She doesn't have to wear them in the bath.  Ear infections made her miserable.  I'd absolutely make the same choice a second time.  Also, tubes aren't permanent.  I was told hers should fall out after about a year.  As of two weeks ago, they are still in and looking great.

• Options
    Our son had massive adenoids. They prevented him from breathing through his nose when he ate and resulted in FTT. He had them and his tonsils removed when he was 17 months. They didn't do the tubes because he didn't really get ear infections, tho. The surgery took about 45 minutes and he was eating solid food like normal within the week.

Tubes aren't that big a deal and we would happily have got them if he'd needed them, too. Like PP said they don't last forever.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Maybe ask the ENT about removing tonsils and adenoids instead of tubes? DD was getting ear infections and lots of strep/snoring. The ENT suggested just doing the tonsils and adenoids b/c lots of times that helps enough that tubes aren't necessary. Something to do with the fluid not pooling or draining differently? I really don't remember. It doesn't hurt to ask. If your LO really needs tubes, I'd follow the ENT's advice.
    imageimage
  • Options
    ashiscuteashiscute member
    edited January 2015
    No offense but that is a dumb reason to not get tubes. Tubes are an easy surgery and are very effective at preventing reoccurring ear infections. DS had them done at 10 months. I have no experience with adenoids.

Anyway, with DS we were told not to let dirty water get on his head which means lake, ocean, bath water. If he will be swimming in those you will want ear plugs. If he's swimming in a chlorinated pool that is clean (which I'd assume yours is) he is fine.

ETA: because I didn't answer your other question. DS has not had an ear infection since getting tubes (he's now 2.5) and he had four before he got them. He has been swimming since and has been fine.
  • Options
    My DS got tubes this morning. It was literally a 10 minute surgery and I'd do it again in a heart beat.

B has had constant fluid in his ears since he was born and we're pretty sure it was affecting his speech. He's only had 2 severe infections but because of the speech the doctors wanted to do it ASAp.

I would never not do the surgery because my husband wanted him to swim. I've been told they can swim with ear plugs, our doctor will go into all of that at his follow up. I'm thinking the hassle will be worth it this summer and he's so small that he can learn to swim underwater later if it means the tubes will be beneficial to him.
  • Options
    JGYJGY member

At 21 months, we got our second set of tubes (no experience with adenoids, sorry).  First set went in at 10 months.  Our Dr. had no concerns about kiddo swimming without ear plugs.  Pool, lake, bath, didn't matter.  We spent a week at the lake at 17 months and had no issues.

Good luck!

Married to my amazing wife 6/12/10 
    TTC since 6/11
    Unmedicated IUI #1 - 6/28/11 - BFN
    Unmedicated IUI #2 - 7/25/11 - BFN
    Robotic Myomectomy (Fibroid Surgery) - 11/15/11
    Unmedicated IUI #3 - 4/24/12 - BFN 
    Progesterone Supported Leuteal Phase IUI #4 - 6/21/12 - BFP!!
    Baby Boy G Born 3/24/13

On to #2, are we crazy?
    IUI #1 - 11/28/14 - BFP!  Beta #1 (11DPO) 34, Beta #2 (13DPO) 101, Beta #3 (20DPO) 3043
    Ultrasound at 6w4d shows a single, fluttering heartbeat.  Say hello to Sticky Ricki!

• Options
    My son had tonsils adenoids tubes at 2yo. She said to be careful with like dirty bath water or lake but not treated pool water. That it would be fine
  • Options
    My lo is 12m and he got tubes 3 weeks ago. He is doing a lot better. He was sick for 3 months. He's so happy now.