Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

help nap time

How do you put your lo down for a nap? Especially interested if you don't use a swing or pouncer.

Re: help nap time

• Options
    ^^same except I always try to separate bottle from sleep so I don't feed her in her room.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    leela02leela02 member
    edited January 2015
    Similar...bottle, paci, cuddle, put down in RnP in her room. I have a fan and white noise machine running and blackout curtains in her room...but I leave the door slightly open so I can hear her so the room is dim but not pitch black.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I breastfeed, burp, and then hold for 5-15 minutes while he falls into a deeper sleep. I place him in his RnP, usually in the living room. We aren't extra quiet and pretty much go about our regular business because we want him to be able to sleep without lots of special conditions. This means the TV and lights might be on, we talk at a regular volume, even run the dishwasher, coffee grinder, etc. He doesn't seem to mind. If he does fuss a little while napping, I can usually offer a pacifier and that takes care of it. Sometimes he naps in his crib, but I want to transition to that exclusively in the next month or so. 
  • Options
    To add to this, my LO is about 3 weeks old and will only sleep in our arms.  Once we put her down in a bassinet/PNP/swing she wakes up and cries until we pick her up again.  Any tips from moms that have gone through this?  I never wanted to be a co-sleeper, but desperate times...
  • Options
    @soon2bejp‌ have you tried swaddling? My 2wk old loves to be swaddled and since buying the swaddle me sacks she sleeps so much longer in her PnP and her RnP.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Proud Mom to Kaleigh (14yr) Emma (12yr) and Hanna (7yr)

photo 65b2d6f3-b1dd-4a2a-944b-fcb0ed878723_zpsc89c0b93.jpg
  • Options
    I have her in a swaddle sleep sack.  I am going to attempt to put her down more during her naps during the day in hopes it will help her get used to it at night.
  • Options
    Nicb13 said:
    soon2bejp said:
    I have her in a swaddle sleep sack.  I am going to attempt to put her down more during her naps during the day in hopes it will help her get used to it at night.

Most babies hate being flat on their backs so that could be part of the problem. We used a Rock n Play for the first three months and DD loved it. She slept so great. She's now in the crib but that thing was a lifesaver.

Also, when laying a baby down, keep a hand on her stomach or chest because that helps them to feel secure and not like they are falling, which is usually what wakes them up.

It's funny that you say that about feeling like they are falling because she very frequently jumps/startles herself awake a few minutes after moving her. It seems like that might be what's happening.
  • Options
    My LO will also only sleep in my arms-
    Naps & @ night!!!!!! :/ I don't know what else to do! We have tried RnP, swing, bouncer, etc.... She also hates to be swaddled! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! (LO is 6 weeks old)
  • Options
    I have not tried the Velcro swaddle or the white noise machine. I will definitely try both! I'm always open to trying anything new! :)
    Thanks
  • Options
    soon2bejp said:

To add to this, my LO is about 3 weeks old and will only sleep in our arms.  Once we put her down in a bassinet/PNP/swing she wakes up and cries until we pick her up again.  Any tips from moms that have gone through this?  I never wanted to be a co-sleeper, but desperate times...

Cosleeping is the only thing that works for us. We all sleep much much better and longer. Eventually we will transition to the bassinet as she gets older. For now this works.

Also, for naps she usually falls asleep after eating. Sometimes I put her in the swing, sometimes bouncer, sometimes I hold her, sometimes she will lay on the couch (with me right there). It always changes at this point (6 weeks). One thing is that we don't do sound machine, dark room, quiet, etc for naps. It's in the living room with lights and tv and talking and moving around. The little girl I nanny is used to silence during any sleep and I can't even go to the bathroom without waking her...our LO doesn't wake for sounds unless they are extra loud as startle her. It's great. Night time is when the darkness and quiet come in.

They need to learn how o sleep in different environments.
  • Options
    My LO usually takes good naps. He usually will eat and often falls asleep on his own afterwards in his room chair we have. We don't do naps in the crib right now because we don't have central heating and it's expensive to run the heaters In two rooms :/ So he often sleeps in his small bed chair thing we have or on the couch in the corner.

However we have days like today(often enough) where he doesn't nap at all. He will only sleep if he's in my arms or his baby carrier against my chest. And those naps only last until I put him down. As soon as he is down he wakes up screaming and I try everything to get him back down knowing he's dry, full, and nothing is wrong with him.

Today was extremely rough. I've basically been walking/bouncing/swaying all day long. I'm exhausted and really hope that he will get to sleep at some point. Oh and I don't have a swing/bouncer at all as 1 they aren't really sold in japanese baby stores and 2 my husband says we don't need it/have the money for it (crap I know but somehting I'm struggling with him over).
  • Options
    We put out 5 week old to nap and sleep at night in his crib.  When I accepted that he grunts/cries in his sleep he was out of our room real quick since I couldn't get ANY sleep.  Anyway, we are trying to develop some structure with wake time, eat, awake time and then nap.  I let him fuss and even cry for 5-10 min before going into soothe him.  It has taken him up to 20-30 min to finally fall asleep with the soothe sessions but since he will be going to a nanny in a few weeks and I would feel more comfortable with him learning how to sleep on his own.
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    11 weeks old, we give a bottle then double swaddle, binky, white noise and lay him down awake and turn on his elephant that plays music for a few minutes and he is out for about 2 to 3 hrs.
  • Options
    LO is now 11 wks and 2 days. His nap time has seriously changed. If takes anywhere from 1-1.5 hours just to get him to sleep ._. He fusses and cries and fights the entire time regardless of what I do to console him. He eventually gives it up and basically cries himself to sleep in my arms. Any suggestions? Is it too early still to introduce sleep training?
  • Options
    We have had good luck with the pick up put down method from the baby whisperer. We started at about 9 weeks old because it was taking our lo an hour to fall asleep in our arms anyways. With pupd she's fallen asleep in 15 minutes at the most and now knows how to put herself to sleep mostly. Every baby is different but definitely check it out!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"