1st Trimester
Options

when to worry with spotting

Hi. This is my first pregnancy and I'm unsure about what is "normal". I'm 5 and a half weeks pregnant and start to experience light spotting a few days ago. Its brownish in color and is only a few times a day. I'm not experiencing any sharp pain or cramping but I'm worried since it has lasted for days now. My first ob appointment isn't until the end of February. Any thoughts are appreciated!

Re: when to worry with spotting

• Options
    There isn't really a normal when it comes to bleeding. I'd call the doctor immediately and they will be able to tell you where to go from where or if you need to be seen....some people bleed and it's nothing, others bleed and it's something so better safe than sorry, always call a dr.
  • Options
    ipumpkin said:

There isn't really a normal when it comes to bleeding. I'd call the doctor immediately and they will be able to tell you where to go from where or if you need to be seen....some people bleed and it's nothing, others bleed and it's something so better safe than sorry, always call a dr.

I agree with all of this. Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had brown spotting every day from 7 - 9 weeks along with cramping (baby is healthy). However, you should let your OB know so they can direct you. I've heard that as long as you aren't filling a pad in an hour with red blood, it's not cause to worry, but still a good idea to let your doctor know of any spotting.
  • Options
    I had pink bleeding and then brown discharge for one week and now everything is gone. If it's a miscarriage, there is nothing you can do, but if you need reassurance call your doc. I'm glad I just waited it out though, spotting is normal and happens to 1 in 5 women during pregnancy :)
  • Options
    You should definitely visit your doctor, he will give you prescriptions what you should take.
    I had brown spotting and he gave me progesterone to prevent miscarriage.

Hope everything will be ok :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    ipumpkin said:

I agree with this. Def call and ask. I had similar spotting (just on tissue) and it was fine.. I felt much better once I talked to the OB office.
  • Options
    OBs are used to calls like this. Give them a call and you'll feel better either way. :)
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! I called my ob office and they told me they wouldnt give any medical advice over the phone and since I'm not an established patient yet they wont move my appointment up. So I'm just monitoring things at home. Not getting any heavier spotting and no pain just hoping everything is ok.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! I called my ob office and they told me they wouldnt give any medical advice over the phone and since I'm not an established patient yet they wont move my appointment up. So I'm just monitoring things at home. Not getting any heavier spotting and no pain just hoping everything is ok.
    Were you going to a different OB before you got pregnant? Can you call them? 

FWIW my OB told me that light spotting was normal, bleeding is not. So hopefully it's nothing, but I hope you get some answers sooner rather than later. Good luck. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Yes Monday morning I am calling a new ob office. I called again to ask if they had open appointments the receptionist said yes but not for patients who are not established yet. So frustrating!
  • Options
    I'd either demand to speak to the OB via phone, or I'd find a new one. Good luck :) try hard to hope for the best! Fingers crossed for you! Keep us updated
  • Options

I cant believe they told you that! I have never met my OB and as soon as I started spotting I got on the phone with him and had a consultation. I still haven't met him, but he got me in for blood work and took time to speak with me and give me reassurance and orders to call him if anything changed. Good doctors care and will talk to you. Hope everything is okay and fingers crossed for you! :)

• Options
    I ended up going to the er after attempting again to speak to my ob. Unfortunately it wasn't what we wanted to hear but our nurse gave us a recommendation for a new ob for next time.
  • Options
    I am sorry to hear of your loss :( sending healing thoughts
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"