Babies on the Brain
Options

Teachers: Pregnant First Year at New School, Not Planning on Returning

I have a bit of a quandry. My husband and I have decided that we are going to start trying in August or September. I am a teacher, so, if all goes well, I would give birth right before or during my summer vacation. 

I currently teach 6th grade about 25 minutes from home; this is my second year. I like the people with whom I work, but I had never dreamed of teaching 6th grade, and I don't enjoy it very much. My passion is kindergarten. I also want to work closer to home.

Additionally, I don't plan on returning to teaching immediately after having my baby.It'll be a few years (and hopefully a few more children) later before I venture back into education.

Taking all of this into account, what should I do regarding my employment for next year? My husband thinks I should just tough it out where I am now. I would rather get a job in one of the three school districts directly surrounding my home. I just don't want to get a bad reputation when I don't return and have only been there a year. I would love any advice on how to handle this. Thanks!

Re: Teachers: Pregnant First Year at New School, Not Planning on Returning

• Options
    Getting PG can take a month or years. I personally wouldn't quit before knowing I'm going to have a bring home baby.
  • Options
    Well, it can take awhile to get pregnant. I would assume that if you don't come back, you won't have a bad reputation because you wouldn't get hired back there.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    You've got your cart way before your horse here.  You can't plan for an EDD you don't even have yet, so I'd say plan your employment as if you're going to be working next year until you have a BFP that chagnes that.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

"Oh, the silent majesty of a winter's morn, the clean, cool chill of the holiday air,
    an asshole in his bathrobe, emptying a chemical toilet into my sewer."
  • Options
    As a fellow educator I can tell you that I would definitely say to stay at the school you're already at. Especially since you dont plan to return to education after maternity leave why stress yourself with being pregnant at a whole new school? I get that you dont love teaching 6th grade but it's only for one more year. You already know the school and the the curriculum. You can reuse lesson plans which will be super helpful for you when you're tired and not wanting to bother with planning. I say tough it out this one last year in a familiar environment. You can go to Kindergarten when you return to the profession
  • Options
    Making future life decisions based on something that isn't a certainty...That'll work well for you

Life began when I saw your face

I.J.C. born 11.3.13 

• Options
    Making future life decisions based on something that isn't a certainty...That'll work well for you
    Nothing in life is certain. She is setting goals and dreams and trying to make her life decisions around her goals, isnt that what we all do?
  • Options
    Nothing in life is certain. She is setting goals and dreams and trying to make her life decisions around her goals, isnt that what we all do?

She's trying to decide what to do this next school year, a concrete time.  She is trying to decide now what to do then based on something that has not happened yet and may not happen right away. 

This isn't "Oh I want to write a book this year..." this is more than that. 

Life began when I saw your face

I.J.C. born 11.3.13 

• Options
    As a public school teacher, I know that most school systems will not give you *paid* leave if you are pregnant when hired. You wouldn't want to be in that situation.
    That is happening to my friend right now, and she is either going to have a short leave with her newborn or be financially on the low side for a while.
    GL!
  • Options
    paigeedpaigeed member
    edited January 2015
    Also as a fellow teacher, I would suggest sticking it out another year. No matter when you get pregnant whether it be the first month or 6 months later. I think I would wait until I had the baby to leave the district.

Districts don't like when you are here and then leave after a year never to be seen again. As PP said, would you really want the stress of essentially your first year all over again in a different place WHILE pregnant? No matter how far along I was, I wouldn't want to experience that, pregnant. But that's me...
    Me (26) DH (28)
    Married 6.22.13
    Hoping for a Herd Linky
    4/15--TTC #1
    12/15--IF testing
    3/16--Dx Unexplained IF
    Clomid + Ovidrel + IUI + Progesterone cycle
    Cancelled due to cysts. Started 3 weeks of BCP.
    4/16--Cute Ute! Clomid+Ovidrel+IUI+Progesterone TI.
    Cancelled-no response
    5/16--Hemmorhagic cyst and other cyst discovered.
    No medicated cycle. MRI scheduled to rule out
    septate uterus.
    6/16--Septum discovered. Consultation for surgery.
    Surprise BFP 6/8/16--EDD 2/13/17
    Kole David--1.7.17--Tiny but Mighty, born at 34+5 after HELLP syndrome
    Chart Stalk Me

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"