August 2015 Moms

I am not .....while pregnant

2»

Re: I am not .....while pregnant

• I'm a btdt so I didn't really give up anything this time around. I did cut back on coffee...kinda....i just switched to decaf in the afternoons. I love the taste of coffee, I need to go to coffee addicts anonymous.
  • I'm curious how many of you mommas are first timers?

Not being snarky, just reminiscent on how I behaved my first pregnancy! I drove everyone nuts with my list of don'ts. I am a lot more relaxed this time around, nothing crazy! Just indulging in warm baths and hot tea for now! Maybe some coffee again soon if it stops turning my stomach just when I smell it!

I'm a FTM but I'm not as much of a worrier/rule-follower as most. I've worked in childcare, nurseries, etc. since I can remember and a lot of our friends have kids so I'm pretty used to the whole pregnancy & kids thing. I have, of course, had some minor FTM freak out moments though. It really is nice to be able to learn from all y'all veteran moms! A lot of the posts, especially on this board, have been helpful.
  • Loading the player...
  • I gave up caffeine but that wasn't hard since I like my decaf tea and the smell of coffee is making me sick. But I have a cat and my husband is military and is away training frequently and I'm not letting the litterbox get full while he is gone. So I carefully empty it wash really well after. I also life more than 20lbs since I'm a nurse. Pretty much physically I feel if you did it prepregnancy you can do it now as long as it doesn't hurt you! All this sushi talk is going to make me go get a spicy crab roll!
  • I'm a FTM, but I'm not really giving anything up but alcohol and caffeine. I gave up caffeine at the recommendation of my doctor while TTC and doing IUI. So, I don't have a big list. Like I said, I definitely plan on having sushi ASAP.
  • I'm a first time mom..I'd probably eat things I always have if everything didn't make me nauseous... I am a nurse and did CPR at work last week. I also lift more than 20lbs on a daily basis but my doctor said it won't hurt anything ...
  • KLB2TKLB2T member
    edited January 2015
    KMBC2552 said:
    I'm not really giving up anything. I will continue to enjoy things in moderation.

This.

Like PP said...I'm just not drinking, smoking, or doing drugs, really.

ETA: I didn't even know taking baths was a thing to avoid....I thought it was just hot tubs, because of the temperature...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
    Pregnancy Ticker  
    # 1
    BFP: 9/17/2013, EDD: 6/1/2014
    Welcome to the World, Brielle Lorraine: 5/23/2014 @ 2:01pm, 6lbs 6oz, 19.75in
    # 2
    BFP: 12/12/2014, EDD: 8/25/2015
  • My stylist has used temp vegetable dye to color my hair for the last six years because I'm either KU, close to being KU and unsure, or nursing.  An option for those who are on the fence.  Yes, the debate is up, but it has less synthetics and more natural, so it makes me feel better.  The pampering is nice, too.  Both my kids are fine, thankfully.  And I do wait until after first tri.  
    About Me: My Aug15 BMB Intro
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers beach
    Aug 15 BMB Jan Siggy Challenge: Mean Girls ... tbd
    Pregnancy%20ticker BabyGaga BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I am not taking crazy hot baths. Which definitely raise my body temp. I'm avoiding baths altogether bc I love them scorching hot. Cannot stand a lukewarm bath it's worse than no bath!

No alcohol except for a few sips of wine every so often.

No coffee. But I never drank it much anyway bc I'm super sensitive to the caffeine.

Having some soft cheeses like blue on a Cobb salad. Yumm.

FTM
    TTC#1 since Aug 2013, I'm 37, DH 41.  
    Maya Arvigo Abdominal massage (daily self care), plus TTC meditations.
    I'm very sensitive to diet (gluten, avoid processed foods) and environment. Have a history of inflammation and tendinitis before going off gluten in 2009.  
    July 2014 - RE Visit #1: Eggs look good, Endometrioma on R ovary, HSG showed blocked R tube close to ovary. DH SA normal 
    DX: Endometriosis probably the IF cause and gunking up tubes.  Since egg reserve is high, RE says I can wait a couple months and then get laproscopic surgery to remove endo & clear tube.  If that doesn't help then move to IVF. 
    Dec 2014 - Saw new RE - does not recommend surgery on tube as it isn't likely to help.  Doubts I have endometriosis.  My endometrioma shrunk to neglible size (yay!) 
    Seriously considering IVF in March/April
    12/17/14 - Natural BFP! 
  • I have given up caffeine minus a little chocolate for the first tri. I still eat bacon well done in moderation. I have also ate shrimp tempura sushi but nothing raw. I miss my iced tea so I will add that back in during the second tri.
  • BTDT and I'm not really giving up anything.

My OB asks to keep caffeine consumption under 100mg a day, which is easy (soda drinker, not much of a coffee drinker).

I've already colored my hair early in the first tri. I love feta cheese on a spinach and strawberry salad. Baths make everything better, especially when you get super pregnant! And I'll have some wine later in my pregnancy as well.

Everything in moderation, folks. I mean, gosh. Women have been having babies for thousands of years without Dr. Google.

Pregnancy Ticker

• The only things I have cut out are raw fish (God I miss oysters and sashimi) and alcohol.

I still drink a grande latte in the am, dye my hair, get weekly manis and sneak a spoon of cookie dough.

• I'm VERY limited on my coffee intake, no fake sugars..... But I am NOT skipping out on the sushi! I'll stick to the cooked stuff though ;)
  • spdladuspdladu member
    edited January 2015
    I'm definitely still sitting at the bar but sticking to ginger ale.
    I'm not eating off-limits cheeses or deli meat(but it's killing me).
    I'm definitely still getting the occasional mani/pedi and will be getting my roots done next week. I'm not feeling especially attractive these days, so I need a little something to make me feel better about myself.
    And I'm eating the hell out of some peanut butter. Did not know that was on the 'don't' list and I am going to remain willfully ignorant until my doc forbids it :)
  • I'm not skiing. I want to now that I'm feeling better but I'm not doing it. My friends want me to join an upcoming ski trip and sit around in the lodge. Umm, no thanks. Who wants to sit around in a wet, noisy ski lodge with no booze on board? Not this girl.

TTC since Sept. 2013
    09/14: New anterior 3cm Fibroid on U/S, no change in size 11/14
    10/14: SA normal
    12/14: next RE appointment - cancelled due to BFP
    BFP on 11/21/14, EDD 08/03/15

• Drinking coffee
    Eating sushi, blue cheese, raw cheese, deli meat, runny eggs
    I'll have a small drink occasionally later on, really not feeling it right now!
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• I'm the moderation queen in my daily life... So I just sick with that. I didn't drink alcohol before, so it's not an issue.

I'm good with my one cup of coffee. My pasteurized feta, etc. I did give up baths.

• My dr told me just to do veggie and non meat options then you still get the sushi without the "danger"
  • Im not up for giving up indoor rock climbing - although I havnt had the energy or the stomach for it just lately! Read a lot online that says it's ok if it was something you was doing before, anyone else been there? Fancy getting my gear out tomorrow & seeing how I feel!
  • I won't be changing anything.... If anything I will be picking up a few bad habits like last time... Gummies, sour keys and loads of sauerkraut are a few of the things I will be overdosing on!!
  • 1. No caffeine (except once last week when I cheated and got a black ice tea from Starbucks)
    2. No deli meat or hotdogs.
    3. Trying like hell not to eat chocolate. A little tougher than I thought it would be but I'm doing pretty good I think.
  • I haven't changed anything except smoking and drinking, and I will be having an occasional drink once I am further along. I don't like coffee, I eat soft cheese, sandwich meat, hot dogs, and apples. And I lift, do whatever physically I was doing before the pregnancy
  • I am not really giving up anything besides alcohol. I never smoked or did drugs. I am more conscious about limiting my caffine, one cup of coffee in the morning and then if I am desperate or have a craving maybe a soda in the afternoon. And I thought that you only had to watch out for un-pasteurized cheese, which isn't sold in the US. So even soft cheeses are fine as long as they are pasteurized.

• hope2432 said:

I think you have all convinced me to go dye my hair. I'm normally one to wait till after the first trimester, but that's a whole month away, and my hair looks TERRIBLE.

Mine looked terrible when I got pregnant. I was going to make an appointment the week we got a positive. I have gone back to wearing my hair naturally curly because I'm too tired to straighten it. It's the only way I've made it this long without dying.
    My doctor said the hair dye probably wouldn't cross the placenta but be careful with fumes.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I haven't really totally given up anything except I don't eat the grocery store sushi anymore haha. I only have 1 cup of coffee a day which was a major cut back for me. And I have 1 glass of wine in Sunday night...also a major cutback to be honest! For me that is totally acceptable :)
  • The only things my doctor has made sure to tell me not to eat is soft unpasteurized cheeses & deli meats that are not heated. And to not dye my hair in the first trimester only because I use bleach. Drinking & smoking wasn't in my life before I got pregnant so I don't have to worry about that. But if the doctor is only telling me to cut out a few things why not! It's only 40 weeks and babies health is worth it!
  • I gave up alcohol, caffeine (except sweet tea bc honey, this is the south), cigarettes, deli meat, artificial everything, rare steak D:, extremely hot baths.

I will not give up my raw fish or crossfit or cheese or rock climbing (until my belly gets too big that I can't climb).

I wanted to give up hair coloring but my wedding is in a month, and I have roots to my shoulders almost thanks to pregnancy making my hair grow 900 times faster, so I have to get that done. Luckily it'll be well into my second trimester.
    Pregnancy Ticker
     DD #1 born 8/3/2015
  • I am not giving up chocolate, if anything I've learned that more of it is consumed while I'm pregnant and DD is just fine.  I didn't know about peanut butter and pretty much have a pb&j every day.  I have given up wine at least for the first trimester and will probably go to one glass once a week after that.  My DH is pretty big on me giving up deli sandwiches and since that and raw sushi are the biggest things he cares about I don't mind going along.  Although I do think the hardest part of that is the sushi this time around, I really like tempura and cooked rolls but I'm allergic to shrimp which drastically decreases my options. :(  With DD I craved Jimmy Johns like nothing else and had 3 sandwiches from them while in the hospital after giving birth. haha  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I am NOT giving up raw honey! My father in law keeps bees so I know exactly where my honey is coming from. Besides the pasteurized stuff you buy in the grocery store is not 100% honey and is full of chemicals. I feel the benefits outweigh the risk.

I do plan to color my hair once I reach the second trimester (2 more weeks!). But I plan to use an all natural henna hair dye and take my hair back to its natural color.

I've significantly cut back on caffeine but only because coffee is unappealing
    to me right now. Still drink sweet tea on occasion and hot tea.
  • I have been craving root beer like crazy, so I give in occasionally. I never drank soda before.

I eat Jimmy johns sandwiches. At home I heat lunch meat up first. No raw sushi, no alcohol. I gave up coffee before pregnancy due to a hernia, but I sip my husband's.

I could never give up chocolate.

Oh! I'm so glad the root beer thing isn't just me! I only have one every few days, but it seems to help exponentially with nausea, and when I can't make myself drink anything else. I usually just get veggie subs from Jimmy johns anyways, but especially since I feel like deconstructing the sandwich in the work break room to heat up the meat would bring on some unwanted questions.
  • I just try to generally avoid the "no-no's", but I don't kill myself over it. A few things in moderation helps me more than it hurts;)
  • laurendemilaurendemi member
    edited January 2015
    I'm a FTM but also am a grad student in Child Development so I know that most everything in moderation is okay.
    My husband and I have cattle, so I eat red meat, but try to do it at least medium well. We also have bees and make our own honey, which I would much rather have than the preservative filled store bought stuff. I'm coloring my hair this week, when I'll be a few days away from the second tri. I gave up smoking and drinking, and I never drank a ton of caffeine as it is.
    The bar thing confused me. If anything, I'm at the bar more often because DH and our friends are enjoying having a DD and I enjoy going out, I just drink water instead.
  • I refuse to give up hair dye.. I may go less often, but this is baby #2 and I colored my hair with baby #1 and he turned out just fine. I love hearing first time moms go "I"M NOT COLORING MY HAIR" like they just may kill their baby if they do or something.. Really, relax.. there's way too many do's and don'ts with pregnancy and it's better to just not stress over it...

• I used to be a heavy diet soda drinker (double whammy of fake sugars AND caffeine!!) and I always thought that would be the toughest thing to give up-- but since week 6 the thought of anything carbonated churns my stomach so at least on that front nausea has been a blessing in disguise (trying my hardest to find a silver lining in this dreaded morning-noon-night sickness... haha)

The thing Im not NOT giving up are my baths. I freaked out at first as I read in books and online that not only hot tubs and saunas, but also baths at home can be too hot for baby. But my OB said home baths have never been proven to cause birth defects in humans and "you're not going to push your core temperature over the limit by taking a bath." She said physical exertion could raise core temps to that level, but not a bath.

Whew! Gotta admit part of me still wants to abstain just to be super super safe, but I've always loved baths and sometimes they're just the only thing that makes me feel better-- and that's gotta count for something for both me and baby.
  • I ate too much peanut butter one afternoon last week, I dirtied 4 spoons. And then I got a GD cold sore.
    I don't think that is why you are supposed to avoid it thou, perhaps future allergy problems for LO?
    I just checked march of dimes and they say go ahead and eat peanut butter.
    Be the Change.
    Make no assumptions
    Take nothing personally
    Be impeccable with your word
    Do your best

• OMG i'm supposed to avoid bacon!
    Be the Change.
    Make no assumptions
    Take nothing personally
    Be impeccable with your word
    Do your best

• OMG i'm supposed to avoid bacon!

What??? Nope I eat all the bacon
  • I have given up all alcohol and smoking (yay!). I have also cut back on my fish intake but have had tuna a few times. Gave up raw sushi but the cooked stuff was great got the craving! I gave up soft cheeses at restaurants where I can't check that it's pasteurized. I havent given up coffee but i have cut back to once a day. I don't eat meat so no issue there. Will not be giving up runny eggs though nom nom. Also will be going back to lifting soon which my doc said no restrictions on exercising because I lifted before. Avoiding hot tubs but not the bath :)
  • Not a smoker, but gave up wine, cold deli meat, raw fish and cut back coffee. I am a FTM and glad to see so many of you who are not judging for what we choose ( or don't choose) to give up. I also ride horses and OB has approved for me to continue riding within reason ( hubby wisely agreed to preserve his wife's sanity). But I know some family are judging me BIG time. I just smile, nod and go ahead and do what I planned anyway :)
  • This is my third pregnancy and I believe everything is ok in moderation. I will not smoke (didn't smoke prepreg anyway), or drink alcohol (1st trimester). I will eat chocolate, peanut butter, deli meats, the occasional sushi (if my aversion goes away). I will have an ocassional soda or tea. And I WILL NOT give up my morning cup of coffee! I will also take the occasional bath (just not super hot).

Just trust your body, and if you are unsure, call your dr or midwife, they will help you decide what is silly to "avoid" and can give you info on how to stay safe while not driving yourself crazy with these silly "do's & don'ts" you find in the internet.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"