edited January 2015 in October 2014 Moms
It's that time of year, friends.

image         image

Do you like tax time? 100 votes

Hell Yeah! $$
75% 75 votes
Hell No, I owe. This is bullshit.
18% 18 votes
I don't file taxes because I'm a mother-effing rebel.
0% 0 votes
SS
7% 7 votes

Re: Do you like tax time?

• I hate tax season for unique reasons. I am an auditor of PUBLIC COMPANIES. Aka, every line on their financials OTHER THAN TAXES I investigate the shit out of. But every time I tell someone I am an auditor they always assume taxes.

I also hate this season because public company financials have to be audited before they submit s tax return, so I (usually) work a shot ton of hours.

Plus, when you look at the time value of money, if you get a refund you actually lose money (because of the ability to earn interest) so in al honesty, it is better to owe money at tax time because it is basically like an interest free loan.

I am, however, excited because I get this "busy season" off and don't have to spend Sunday (my usually one day off a week) doing our tax return on turbo tax (because I let really know nothing about taxes).

End rant.
    July Siggy Challenge: Fireworks Fails

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • DH and I got bumped up tax brackets in 2013 and again in 2014. We owed on state the last two times we filed.  Hopefully the kid to income ratio is such that we got a nice return this year.  We plan to pay off debts with it.
  • I hate tax season.  We never get a refund and the most we've owed was $15k.  We also do not qualify for any tax credits so it sucks.
    Loss Blog (finally updated)

imageimage
    5 cycles of "TTC" - 3 intentional, 2 not so intentional.  5 BFPs.  My rainbow arrived 10/15/14.
    TFMC 08.02.13 at 19+ weeks. Everyday I grieve for my little Olive.

• Ss. We break even normally
  • SS- love to hate it, hate to love it.

Hoping we break even again this year.
  • One of my besties is an accountant so I don't love tax season because I lose her during it. And she runs the non-profit with me so her diminished availability means added stress for me. But whatevs.

imageimageimage
  • DH makes fun of me cause I actually enjoy doing taxes. I don't know what it is about it, maybe the return at the end but I enjoy it. I used to do it by hand but now I use a computer program.
  • cmac6186 said:

Meh...I have it worked out so we pretty much break even come tax time. Which btw is what everyone should try to do- otherwise you're giving Uncle Sam an interest free loan of your money throughout the year that you could be earning interest on in a savings account!

I know this is true but I would never actually save the money. That being said, last year we got a rediculously large tax return so we did make changes. We were hoping to get a smaller return. But then we found out we we pregnant so I feel like we might end up closer to where we were last year. I am dying to do them, but my employer always waits till the 31 to give them to us.
  • SS, I go back and fourth. We've always gotten a refund, which is nice but it's always stressful. DH never keeps his stuff organized or even knows what files he needs other than his W2 so I'm always scrambling to get everything together for him. My mom is an accountant and has always done our taxes but sometimes ours get put off until the last minute, which is also stressful. On top of it all tax day is my birthday. So yeah, lots of mixed feelings about it. It's great to get the refund but it always stresses me out. 

• I hate it. We ALWAYS owe money. It's a galaxy of bullshit.
  • I like it but I never noticed any extra back after having DD? We will see this year. For those that have gotten more back after having kids, do claim all your kids on your paycheck? DH claims 4 (him and I and 2 kids) and we dont get back much. I think I would rather get more in each paycheck than a big tax refund.
  • DH and I got bumped up tax brackets in 2013 and again in 2014. We owed on state the last two times we filed.  Hopefully the kid to income ratio is such that we got a nice return this year.  We plan to pay off debts with it.
    Same thoughts here. We always owe even after having like 25% of our income go to taxes. Really hoping the kiddo and new house helps!
    Ours ends up being 40%.

People in high brackets who aren't high enough to do all the shit millionaires do to keep from paying taxes get screwed and actually pay the 40%.  

Taxes are a sore subject for me.  I hate this time of year.
    Loss Blog (finally updated)

imageimage
    5 cycles of "TTC" - 3 intentional, 2 not so intentional.  5 BFPs.  My rainbow arrived 10/15/14.
    TFMC 08.02.13 at 19+ weeks. Everyday I grieve for my little Olive.

• Not sure what the hell to expect this year.  We are always in top tax bracket, which sucks...I can't believe how much of our income gets taken out.  We got all screwed up this year because of my husband's company splitting up and so we have a lot set aside knowing that we'll owe, but I'm seriously hoping we don't have to fork over all of it!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We usually get a refund but I still hate it. I hate all the paperwork and talking to the accountant that takes place. I'd rather not deal with it; although the money is nice. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Me: 38 DH: 36
    Married 8/27/2011
    BFP #1 9/28/2011 DS born 5/22/2012
    BFP #2 4/24/2013 m/c 4/25/2013 at 4w
    BFP #3 1/31/2014 DD born 10/14/2014
    BFP #4 1/20/2016 m/c 2/12/2014 at 7w2d
    BFP #5 8/19/2016 DS2 born 4/29/2017
    BFP #6 3/7/2018 EDD 11/18/2018

• I don't like it. It's just a pain in the butt. However I am currently taking a class to fill my elective requirements for my degree and it taught me quite a bit about taxes. It was actually interesting but I still don't like them.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"