Breastfeeding
Options

pumping schedule at work

Hi all! I'm a teacher and I'm set to return to work in mid-April, at which point I am planning to pump. I have heard that it is necessary to pump every 2-2.5 hrs. to maintain my supply. The way my classes are set up doesn't really allow me to do that. Here is what I was thinking about doing: feed LO at 5 or 5:30 AM, go to work at 7 and pump there around 7:15, pump during my prep at 11:00, and then pump again right after school at 2:40. Do you think it will make a major difference if I pump every 3-4 hours rather than every 2? Just curious what your opinions are since I am a FTM. I guess the only other option would be to ask for coverage when I need to pump but I believe that might be a bit disruptive to my classes.
Married my best friend 7/2/11 - Furbaby born 7/9/11 and brought into our home 9/1/11

BFP#1:   2/2/13 ~ exact m/c date unknown but around 3/20 at 10 weeks ~ diagnosed with PMP ~ D&C on 4/5 ~ TTA for at least 1 year due to PMP ~ cleared to TTC 1/14

BFP#2:   2/7/14 ~ m/c 2/20/14 ~ possibly due to chemical pregnancy ~ TG no D&C is needed 

Surprise BFP#3:  4/4/14 ~ super duper extra happy (and nervous) about this one - EDD 12/9/14!!!

John Joseph was born on 12/12/14 at 7 lbs. 11 oz.  He is the most beautiful rainbow baby we could have wished for!

Re: pumping schedule at work

• Options
    Melody330Melody330 member
    edited January 2015
    How old will LO be when you go back?

Also - your prep is at 11, what time is your lunch? Do you have a duty ?
    imageimage
    Cooper & Melody.     My Rescues <3

• Options
    I've never heard to pump every 2 hours--that sounds brutal! The general consensus I get from this board is about every 2 hours. I'm away from my DD for about 9.5 hours and when she was young I pumped 9, 12 and 3pm.

TTC since April 2011. DH Dx MFI in February 2012. BFP #1: 7.16.12. MMC dx: 8.22.12, D&C 8.28.12, TTC Again November 2012. DH Varicocele repair November 2012; Repeat SA showed "dramatic" improvement February 2013 (awesome!)
    BFP #2: 3.26.13, EDC: 12.7.13. Anya born December 9th, 2013!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    JCM285JCM285 member
    edited January 2015
    LO will be about 4 months old @Melody330‌. Sorry I should have mentioned that. I have prep, lunch, and duty one after another. Prep at 11:03, lunch at 11:47, duty at 12:31 (which is really just a common planning period). Would it be advisable to pump during both prep and duty or are they too close together in time?
    Married my best friend 7/2/11 - Furbaby born 7/9/11 and brought into our home 9/1/11

BFP#1:   2/2/13 ~ exact m/c date unknown but around 3/20 at 10 weeks ~ diagnosed with PMP ~ D&C on 4/5 ~ TTA for at least 1 year due to PMP ~ cleared to TTC 1/14

BFP#2:   2/7/14 ~ m/c 2/20/14 ~ possibly due to chemical pregnancy ~ TG no D&C is needed 

Surprise BFP#3:  4/4/14 ~ super duper extra happy (and nervous) about this one - EDD 12/9/14!!!

John Joseph was born on 12/12/14 at 7 lbs. 11 oz.  He is the most beautiful rainbow baby we could have wished for!

• Options
    I would say it sounds okay. Make sure if you are truly committed to breastfeeding that you do not ever miss a pump session. I have left IEP meetings and excused myself from faculty meetings to pump. It's definitely challenging at times, but you can do it!

I went back to work when my LO was 6 months. There were times I did not pump enough so I had to power pump after DS went to sleep.

Good luck!
    imageimage
    Cooper & Melody.     My Rescues <3

• Options
    Thanks for your help @Melody330‌ I certainly will do my best! This is more important than the meetings anyway :-)

• Options
    technically you're supposed to pump to make up for each feeding you would miss during the workday. for most women, this would be about 3 times in a workday. so you should be okay, even if the times may not be perfectly evenly spaced. as your LO gets older and starts on solids, you will be able to drop down to 2 pumps per day, and then to 1, with most people stopping at one year. so, it is daunting to think about having to schedule 3 pumps per day, but if your LO will be 4 months when you go back, it's really only about 4 months that you have to pump that many times per day.

also, if your schedule allows, nurse your LO right before you leave him at daycare, and nurse again as soon as you pick him up or get home. the more feedings you can fit in at home, the less quantity you have to be worried about producing via the pump.

like others have said, fiercely defend your pumping time!

GL!
  • Options
    Thank you very much for the details, @vvvvvfee‌! I was wondering about the breakdown of amount of times I will need to pump in the future but didn't really look into it yet, so that was very helpful. I will definitely nurse before leaving LO and as soon as I get back home. I really appreciate the feedback.

• Options
    I went back to teaching when LO was 6 months. I also had all my times together (planning 11:35, lunch 12:20 and recess 1:00-1:30). I would finish nursing at 7am, pump 11:40-12, pump 1:00-1:20) and nurse LO right at 4pm when I got her. It worked for me, but I did build a strong freezer stash before I went back. I also resorted to pumping MOTN once LO was STTN and would get 7 oz then! I would have the pump all set up, just get up around 2am, pump for 15 minutes, and then put the bottles in the cooler just like at work. I'd then climb right back into bed, and deal with putting the milk in the fridge and cleaning parts in the morning. As long as you get enough ounces, it doesn't really matter if you're pumping them at the same time LO is eating. I never had issues BF on demand on the weekends. I would meet with your principal beforehand and emphasize that you are dedicated to this, and will try to pump when it fits in your schedule, but may be accommodated at times. That way you've laid the groundwork for when they schedule IEPs during your planning block, etc. I would attend the meeting, but would request class coverage either before or after the meeting. My principal was a guy and he was super supportive. He even told me he would cover my class if necessary if he couldn't find someone (thank God it never came to that). He also understood when I had to come into staff meetings after school late because I needed another pump. Communicating your needs to administration will set you up for success. GL!

**DD1 - 7/9/98**

**DS - 11/9/00**

**DD2 - 4/30/13**

• Options
    Thanks everyone! you have been so helpful. That's a good idea to cover the bases with the principal @surpriseaddition‌. I will need to go back before my leave its over anyway to prep for class so I will be sure to speak with him. I'm just wondering if I will yield a significant amount of BM if I pump at both 11:03 period and 12:31 period? I guess it's sort of a trial the first couple of days you do it, right? I pump occasionally now (just when I need to, not on any schedule) and I've gotten as much as 5 oz. total but that is usually when DS sleeps through a feeding. Also the thought of clogged ducts is freaking me out a little @bantyrooster. I have an oversupply sometimes so I'm hoping the schedule works for me or else I will definitely be seeking other options of how to get coverage. I cant even stand that engorged feeling. It drives me crazy!

• Options
    Do you have to pump at 240 or could you pick up lo and feed him then?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Yes school ends at 2:40 and LO will be with my parents at my house so I can get home around 3:30 most days. Is it better to just wait? I guess I was just going by the 2 hour standard lol

• Options
    I would do the pump at both periods. Like I said, I finished pumping at 12, and then started my next pump at 1:00pm with only an hour in-between. Did I get a "significant amount"? It depends on how you look at it. The 2oz I would get would make the difference in whether I had enough for the next day. I also would wait and just nurse LO at 3:30. It will save you a bottle. If you were pumping at 2:40, you wouldn't have much to nurse when getting home so most likely LO would need a late afternoon bottle. If you can tell your parents to not feed after 12:30-1:00 you'll be ready to nurse and he'll be ready to feed. BF is so much nicer than pumping! GL!

**DD1 - 7/9/98**

**DS - 11/9/00**

**DD2 - 4/30/13**

• Options
    That sounds very reasonable when you put it like that about pumping both periods @surpriseaddition‌ and I totally agree that BF is way better than pumping. Too bad pumping is so necessary! Thanks to you and everyone for your advice!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"