May 2015 Moms
Options

Swollen cervix and spotting?

I am hoping someone can say "Yes, this happened to me don't worry." I have had tiny spotting throughout- like pin pricks on the toilet paper. It's upset me even though they've checked it out and don't seem concerned. It had stopped for a week or two and so I was hoping maybe it was over but for the last three days I've had it more consistently. Nothing filling a pad but it still bothers me because of my anxiety. Today I noticed that in addition to the spots I felt sore down there -maybe swelling?!

I'm hoping perhaps this is a more common thing the further you get. Anyone have anything unexplained like this? all of my pregnant IRL friends have not had this so I just feel more paranoid than normal.

Re: Swollen cervix and spotting?

• Options
    ladyteach0505ladyteach0505 member
    edited January 2015
    Well, I'm not sure. they're more frequent but similar to what I've had all along. I feel like a crazy person because every time I call they basically tell me again and again that unless I see heavy bleeding not to worry. I hope maybe this is just a normal thing but maybe not? FTM = clueless
  • Options
    My lady bits are swollen too and a little irritated. Next time the spotting happens, take a little mirror down south and make sure it isn't from a little cut or irritation.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I've had spotting and bleeding on and off and I frequently feel swollen and sometimes even bruised.
    But I have a low lying placenta.
    I think the swelling is due to the increased blood flow.
    But if you're concerned call you Dr.
    That's what they are there for and what you pay them for.
    I always feel stupid calling my Dr every time I feel something little isn't right. But he sees me that day and tells me to just call if I feel off at all.
    Ease your anxiety and call. Trust me you'll feel better after you do.
  • Options
    Swelling in your lady bits can be normal due to the increased blood flow to your lady parts. Just keep a check on your bleeding its most likely cervix irritation especially if you have had sex recently. If you are worried though call your OB. I have this happen as well. 6TM  I also have anxiety and understand why its making you anxious. If the bleeding gets worse or is heavy then definitely call your doctor!! You could have urinary tract infection so it may not hurt to call anyways. Feel better!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback! I'm going to keep an eye on it. I think my office is sick of me because I called at 15w, 18w and 20ishw about this spotting because it worries me so much. The answer is always the same about waiting until it's heavy bleeding. I despise that answer because, while it might be true, it feels like it's saying well you'll either be fine or not and we can't do anything either way. Fingers crossed it just goes away!
  • Options
    It's called cervicitis, inflammation of the cervix. It can occur during pregnancy because increased hormone levels cause increased blood flow to the cervix. The increased blood flow can cause it to bleed a little as well.
    Mother to Joelle (13), Jaxen (3) and Jayla (due 5/6)

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

Thanks for the feedback! I'm going to keep an eye on it. I think my office is sick of me because I called at 15w, 18w and 20ishw about this spotting because it worries me so much. The answer is always the same about waiting until it's heavy bleeding. I despise that answer because, while it might be true, it feels like it's saying well you'll either be fine or not and we can't do anything either way. Fingers crossed it just goes away!

I feel uncomfortable calling my OB at times too. It sucks that we should feel this way, after all we are paying for their services. I used to have a great relationship with the staff at my RE office but now I'm still getting to know my new OB and her staff( which is not always the nicest). Regardless though, please don't hesitate to call, and listen to your body.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Me (34) PCOS

DH (36) Poor morphology and motility

TTC since 2011

2013 cycles 1, 2, and 3 on Clomid, all BFN

2013 cycles 4, and 5 IUI with Clomid, both BFN

DH and I took a break for several months

7/15/2014 started Acupuncture 

7/26/2014 start Follistim for IVF cycle, ER on 8/8, develop OHSS, ET almost cancelled

8/13/2014 ET proceeds on our wedding anniversary, transfer 2 5DB, 8/23 BFP

EDD 5/1/2015

• Options
    ck4567ck4567 member
    edited January 2015
    I have the same thing. Tiny, pinhead dots of blood. It has happened twice this pregnancy, and so far everything is just fine. I figure something somewhere down there just got a little irritated, and it's no big deal.
  • Options
    You could have a yeast infection. The yeast can really irritate the skin and cause the little tears someone else talked about.
  • Options
    ck4567 said:

I have the same thing. Tiny, pinhead dots of blood. It has happened twice this pregnancy, and so far everything is just fine. I figure something somewhere down there just got a little irritated, and it's no big deal.

You're the first person to mention having this too. Not to wish it on you, but it makes me feel better to know someone else has it too. I don't know why mine has been three days in a row. Or in general. Haven't done the deed since I got pregnant so I know it's not that...

I insisted on a check for a yeast infection at my 24w appointment and it came out okay. I'm grateful it's nothing "diagnosable" at this point because I know a lot of people are suffering with serious diagnoses right now. So I keep trying to remind myself to be appreciative.
  • Options
    You're the first person to mention having this too. Not to wish it on you, but it makes me feel better to know someone else has it too. I don't know why mine has been three days in a row. Or in general. Haven't done the deed since I got pregnant so I know it's not that... I insisted on a check for a yeast infection at my 24w appointment and it came out okay. I'm grateful it's nothing "diagnosable" at this point because I know a lot of people are suffering with serious diagnoses right now. So I keep trying to remind myself to be appreciative.

I tested negative for yeast as well. I think it's a big nothing, but it did worry me when I saw it as well. It's one of those things you worry over until something actually bad happens and then you forget all about it cuz you have real problems. So, yes, we should both just be thankful and think good thoughts!
  • Options
    I frequently feel really sore down there and I stay swollen. Swollen enough not to ever have sex because it hurts so bad. Hope you get relief soon!!
  • Options
    Any updates on this, ladies? I am currently at the hospital waiting on some test results. Thursday afternoon I noticed some pink color to my cm. Friday morning I woke up to a little bit of red blood so I called into the nurse. No cramping, no pain, just a bit of spotting. She told me to take it easy, drink a lot of water and just monitor it. If any thing changed I was to let them know. No change all day, but still continued to have pink on the toilet paper when I wiped throughout the day. Woke up today and had red blood again and now more of it. Still what I would call very light though. Decided after this has gone on this long that I should call back. They wanted to go ahead and see me today since I'm only 27 weeks +1 and this didn't sound great. Better to just be safe. I started to worry that I was actually experiencing a slow leak because it just seemed to be a lot more discharge than normal.

Been at the hospital for 3 hours now. Baby and heart rate are great, no contractions. Exam showed that there's no amniotic fluid (my water didnt break thank God), however my cervix is softer than it should be and I have a possible bacteria infection (something that apparently goes hand in hand often times with preterm labor). Now just waiting on the fetal fibronectin test results. Still not sure where the blood is coming from.

Will update you all when I know more. Curious what happened with your situations though!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I've had a few bacterial infection this pregnancy too. If dr are checking for yeast, IMO they should be swabbing bf or bacterial overgrowth too due to the preterm labor concern. I hope they are able to help you and get you home soon!

My two boys are getting a surprise May 2015!

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I had pinkish brown spotting up to week 12 and then it stopped until last Saturday and suddenly had a lot more than I'd call spotting. The on call dr was not concerned , "unless it continues". I insisted to dr to be checked ( high risk due to age and previous losses). She finally agreed and I went into l&d and got checked. Baby was perfectly oblivious and bouncing around like usual. They found the bleeding was from irritation on the cervix. I got benched for three days and it stopped by the second day. I was told I did right by insisting and encouraged to do so again if needed.
  • Options
    I had bleeding up until 20 weeks off and on. Always after the "deed" and then at other times as well. I was negative on bacterial infections. My PCP did say I had a UTI and gave me antibiotics. The bleeding continued after that. My OB checked me and said everything looked fine and it was most likely cervical irritation. She put me on pelvic rest for about 2-3 weeks. Since then no bleeding. I hope it's nothing serious and thing are fine! T&Ps!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Update - fetal fibronectin was negative which is great. They prescribed me antibiotics for the week and also brought me in yesterday for an extra ultrasound to look at the cervix.  It's long and looking good.

So all pre-term labor issues have been pretty much ruled out.  No real conclusion on what is causing the spotting.  It has gotten lighter since Saturday, but is still there (so going on 5 days now).  Also - no intercourse at all for the last week+ so it isn't related to that.

The plus side = got to see the little one yesterday!! 27weeks and 3 days.  She is almost 3 lbs!! :)  It was so great!

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"