October 2014 Moms

GTKY: What do you want to teach your children?

I thought this might be an interesting topic. What type of life lessons or ideals do you want to instill in your children?

For example, one of my greatest hopes for my kids is that they are able to stick up for themselves and not be afraid to be who they are. I will do everything in my power to make sure they know that they are incredible human beings and not to take shit from anyone.

image         image

Re: GTKY: What do you want to teach your children?

• Loading the player...
  • So many good things on here...I haven't caught up this morning yet on the whole thread, read through it last night. 

So much of what other people said.  A lot of what I want to teach her is guided by what I see in my teenage daughter and I have such an appreciation for just how hard it is to teach them these things.  They learn a ton from us, but are also so influenced by the world around them, and we can only control that to a point.  

Self-respect, honor yourself, do not be apologetic for who you are or what you do.  The words "I'm sorry" should be saved only for when you've done something you shouldn't have and you truly are sorry.  We women apologize too much for things we shouldn't need to and my daughter does it all the time.  I'm constantly telling her not to say she's sorry.  I remember my Dad saying, "don't be sorry, do something about it".  Own your talents and your beauty...thank God for these gifts that you have and use them not only to serve yourself, but to serve others.  

Empathy - although my two older children have taught me that this can only be taught to a point.  One child is so naturally empathetic and the other so is not despite our constant talking to her on this.  One is an extreme introvert, and I think it's tough for an introvert to be as empathetic.

I want to teach her to learn how to think (as in critical thinking, I think that too much of the way they're taught these days is to spew things back rather than thinking for themselves), and also to work for what she wants as well as work in the house.  Oh, and look up...too much time spent buried in electronics these days and I'm totally pointing the finger at myself, too!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • jeniece47 said:
    I want to teach my daughter to be independent and to value herself. I want her to have a positive self image and the ability to determine right from wrong. I want her to know that she never should need to change herself or compromise her morals to fit in.
    Sometimes, I think this is nearly impossible now with selfies and shit. I'm terrified to have a teenage girl.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I want to teach my daughter that she came from a line of very hard working people and each generation has placed a stepping stone for the next one and now its her turn. That education was the key and it is her key. I want her to have empathy, to be socially aware and responsible, I want her to fight for those who can't do it for themselves. I want her to know from where she came from and at the same time for nothing not to limit her dreams or perception of herself. I want her to be proud of who she is and to see beyond any human trait. Last but not least I want to teach her to be color blind but to know that there are some people who are not, and I want her to know her value.
    @MrsCunningham22 I think what you said and how you said it is so beautiful!

I want to add to what has already been said that I hope to expose my daughter to all different kinds of people. Where we live, some people never leave their box to realize there's a whole world out there full of rich cultures and so many different kinds of amazing people. Ignorance breeds ignorance out here. Hopefully I can expose her to the world through travel. I also want her to be able to recognize when someone else is being treated unfairly and have the courage to stand up for the injustice of others. 
    I also feel like a healthy body image is really important so I'm going to not put myself down and pay attention to the things I say in front of her. This also counts for grandma, she's constantly putting herself down and it drives me nuts! Love yourself a little more! At the same token I want her to know that she's not just a pretty face, but she's smart as hell and capable of anything that a man is.
  • Faith and a good old fashioned work ethic!!!
  • So many good things on here...I haven't caught up this morning yet on the whole thread, read through it last night. 

So much of what other people said.  A lot of what I want to teach her is guided by what I see in my teenage daughter and I have such an appreciation for just how hard it is to teach them these things.  They learn a ton from us, but are also so influenced by the world around them, and we can only control that to a point.  

Self-respect, honor yourself, do not be apologetic for who you are or what you do.  The words "I'm sorry" should be saved only for when you've done something you shouldn't have and you truly are sorry.  We women apologize too much for things we shouldn't need to and my daughter does it all the time.  I'm constantly telling her not to say she's sorry.  I remember my Dad saying, "don't be sorry, do something about it".  Own your talents and your beauty...thank God for these gifts that you have and use them not only to serve yourself, but to serve others.  

I am so guilty of this. Even I will question why I just apologized for something.

image         image

• dredford said:

Aarg said:

I want my daughter to know that people will say things, and they may say hurtful things. And that's their own opinion. Because I want her to always be proud of the girl she is/will become. To exude confidence and a never dying kick-ass attitude about how her "disability" will be the greatest way to show her ability to do it all and blow the world away!

I don't think we have met (does it count as meeting if it's over the interwebs?) but, I totally just teared up reading this. Your girl is a lucky lady to have you as her mama.
    I've been MIA the last couple months since my LO has been here. I haven't had much time for the social media. Lots of doctors visits.
    I should probably re-intro

And Thank you! I feel equally as lucky to have her as a daughter. She is my rainbow baby pride and joy!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"