Babies on the Brain
Options

Year Off After Law School to Have a Baby?

Hi everyone,

I'm currently in law school, set to graduate in two years. I got married this May, and ever since (and even before marriage) I've been longing to get pregnant and add a little one to our family.

My original plan was to take a year off during law school to do this, but I got a full scholarship after the first year and don't want to jeopardize that. As long as my grades maintain, I can keep the full scholarship throughout the rest of law school. 

Now I'm thinking of taking a year off after law school to get pregnant. I would continue working part-time as a secretary at the law firm I'm currently at, and finances are not an issue.

I'm curious if anyone has any suggestions or advice. Has anyone taken a year off after school to get pregnant? 

Thanks in advance for your help :)

Re: Year Off After Law School to Have a Baby?

• Options
    It's hard to make those kinds of plans. You never know how long it will take to get pregnant. My personal experience is that it took a year for my cycle to get back to normal after BCP. Since then I have suffered 2 losses.

My plan/situation was similar to yours, I just finished up my program in December (accounting not law). I am currently working a retail job part time as I look for a full-time job. If I happen to end up pregnant before I find a job, then I can make the decision if I take time off until after baby.
  • Options
    Thanks for your advice, ladies :) 

It's still a lot to think about. My husband is 12 years older than me, and I know he would like to start a family too. 

He's completely supportive and willing to wait, but I also think of whether it will be harder to conceive as he gets older. 

There's two and a half more years of law school to go before I have to decide what to do. It's just been on my mind a lot lately.

Regardless, like ManJS said, I'm taking the bar right after I graduate before TTC. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm also a lawyer; T3 grad and now praticing at a big firm. Two suggestions: 1.) have your baby your 3L year after you get a job. I WISH I had done this. Your 3L year is bs if you have a firm job set up. Relax, take all "Law and..." Classes and enjoy the time with your husband and baby. If you start the fall after you graduate you will have longer, happier time than your would get for maternity leave. 2.) start working at a firm and work for a year (or 18 months or whatever) to get your paid maternity leave. Most firms do six months now, with at least half of it paid. More importantly, you start your career on time. Firms, fairly or unfairly, look askance at people who do anything other than clerking after law school. Mostly because of how you advance is still tied to your year. It's phenomenally dumb, and I don't get it, but I have been in many a hiring discussion where some partner points out that a candidate is really a "fourth year" but only has two years of firm experience. I have seen graduates from really good schools passed over for this reason. Taking a year off would hamper your career. If you want to work in government or non-profit it may not, but if you're headed to a firm, I'd avoid taking time after you graduate.
  • Options
    See other post about a teacher and making plans before being pregnant...

Life began when I saw your face

I.J.C. born 11.3.13 

• Options
    I think MandJS has some solid points.  I don't have a law degree but it is the family business and my husband recently finished law school at night (while working full time) and is now practicing.  It would be advantageous to take the bar straight out of law school and you will nee to basically study 16 hours a day for those three months (except for the hours you spend in your review course obviously).  Sorry if I am just repeating stuff that you already surely know- what you might not realize is that it isn't the sort of test you could prepare for while taking care of a baby- you don't know if the baby will be colicy or just snuggle in your lap while you read but its just too bug a chance.  I think I would take the bar and look for a job and when it feels right go of bcp and see what happens- you just never know- in my case it took 2 years and some fertility treatments to get pregnant the first time and with our second it took one night of sake and a sexy hairdo- you just never know.  You could start getting your body ready that first year though- maybe use a non hormonal birth control (if you aren't already) so that your cycle will get normal in case you are one of those women who needs time for that (as I was).  Best of luck- I hope you find the right thing for you.  Oh if I could give one piece of unasked for advice- if you have control over it- try not to have a late summer baby- then you have to agonize over whether to make them the oldest or the youngest in their class (one of our kids is early August).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"