August 2015 Moms
Options

Blighted Ovum?

:( Good morning, Ladies.. So yesterday I went in for my first ultrasound, assuming I'm 8 weeks but not completely sure. I was so excited to see my little darling, I just couldn't wait. See.. After finding out I was expecting our 3rd child, my husband and I had discussed an abortion. I for one wanted to keep the baby, but my husband was terrified because we can hardly afford to pay our bills at this time. But I explained to him how desperately I wanted to keep this sweet baby & figured I will do whatever I possibly can to make it work. Needless to say we decided to move forward with the pregnancy & told our families.
Fast forward to yesterday morning. The tech was not able to see the baby, so she decided to do the internal. After about 10 minutes of probing around, she started asking a bunch of questions about my last period but unfortunately I do not remember when it was. I do know know that I got my first positive results on Dec 15th, and 2 more positive results on Dec 17th. Either way, the ultrasound showed no baby. Also, when the doc came in he said that he also has another concern which is about the shape of the sac. Rather than being circular, it was shaped more like an egg or a football, and instead of there being a double ring, there was only one. Obviously I fell apart & still am. I'm about to head out to get blood work & have to get blood work again on Saturday. Then another ultrasound on Friday, January 23rd to see if the doc sees baby. I feel so broken. My sister went through this in 1996, before she had any of her children. Has anyone else gone through this and if so, what was the outcome? Did they finally see baby? I had to tall about this as it is all so heartbreaking :(
♡ to all

Answers

• Options
    I had a blighted ovum beginning of last year. It was heart breaking and I don't wish in on anyone. I decided to let everything pass naturally, but I have heard of women getting d&c's for it. I just prefer to let my body do its thing. 

All of my research has confirmed that there is NOTHING one can do to cause or prevent a blighted ovum.
    Pregnancy #1 - 2009, lost at 5.5 weeks
    Pregnancy #2 - 2011, healthy baby boy
    Pregnancy #3 - 2014, blighted ovum, lost at 10 weeks
    Pregnancy #4 - 2015, due 8/8/15
  • Options
    First off, I'm so so sorry.
    I had a blighted ovum in October. I went in to our first ultrasound at 8weeks, expecting to see a baby, but there was nothing. Not even a fetal pole. I was devastated. We had just told our families, with a cute reveal and all. I loved the baby already! I wasn't bleeding, I felt pregnant, still tested positive. I was in disbelief. The only clue was that my progesterone was low, my dr out me in supplements right away. I couldn't believe this tech. So I told my dr I wanted to wait a week and have another ultrasound to confirm. I did, and it still came back the same. Again, bi was heart broken. I didn't want a D&C and opted to miscarry naturally. After about another 2 weeks my body finally realized and let go. It was an extremely emotional and painful time. Losing the baby naturally was just like the contractions of having a baby. I wouldn't wish it on anyone.
    I'm so sorry your going through this. But there is hope, if you try again. We conceived again right after our miscarriage and this baby is very healthy!

If you ever need to talk, please PM me!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I also do not have experience with this but I wanted to offer support. Hopefully the blood work results will come quickly and offer good news.

In any event I'm sorry you're going through this.

3rd pregnancy -- 1st baby -- praying for a rainbow

#1 EDD 5/2014 -- MMC 10weeks ~~ #2 EDD 10/2014 -- Our baby girl, born sleeping 17weeks ~~ #3 EDD 8/2015

• Options
    I had a blighted ovum in July and ended up miscarrying naturally in August. It was my first pregnancy and I was devastated. I'm not a crier but think I cried for 3 days straight when we found out. We had only told my parents and my best friend but it was so nice to have support. My doctor told DH and me that a blighted ovum is the result of chromosomal issues that would eventually arise if the pregnancy continued. I was so worried that I would have issues getting pregnant again but we didn't have any issues. Luckily there is no correlation between a single blighted ovum and future miscarriages.

I'm hoping and praying for the best for y'all!
  • Options
    Sorry you're dealing with this :(.
  • Options
    I had this experience earlier this year. I started spotting around 6.5 weeks and went in to the ER. When they did an ultrasound, there was no baby - just a funky sac.  It took about a week of follow-up u/s and bloodwork to confirm that I was miscarrying.  I took cytotek to be sure I passed all the tissue and speed up the invevitable.  It was a devastating experience and I pray for your strength in the coming days. In the end, it brought my husband and I closer together so there was silver lining.

• Options
    I had a blighted ovum in August. I started bleeding around week 10 and lost everything a few days later. Mine was also a result of chormosomal issues. The sack was completely empty and also an odd shape like you had mentioned. For me, that pregnancy could obviously not be saved. I passed everything on my own. Sorry to hear you're dealing with the same :(
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Thank you all so, so much for your support, and of course for sharing your stories. My heart goes out to each of you for your support & kind words, and for those of you who have experienced what I'm going through. I've been crying pretty much since I found out yesterday morning. At this time I do seem to feel some pressure, along the lines of what it feels like when in labor (although it's obviously not as bad). Right now all I want to do is curl up in a ball in a steaming hot shower and cry my heart out. Yep, I've always been the emotional one of the bunch :( Part of me just wants this over & done with if I am going to miscarry, but the other part of me wants more time to digest all of this first before the miscarriage happens. I am so in love with this baby that likely doesn't even exist. With my first 2 children it took me months to really feel a connection with them. Not this time. This time I fell head over heels the moment I found out I was expecting.
    Was I terrified? He'll yes!
    Was I sad? I sure was.
    Was I confused? Yup.
    Was I secretly super excited? You know it...
    Now I'm left with severe pregnancy symptoms-nausea, vomiting, sore breasts, headaches, dizziness, extreme fatigue, all while feeling completely broken inside & out..
  • Options
    I had this happen to me. I had 3 different ultrasounds. They had me come back a week later to be sure. They confirmed a blighted ovum for me back in August 2014. I was devastated. Sorry to hear you're dealing with the same.
  • Options
    I'm so sorry you went through this too :( it really sucks. There is just no words to describe how painful it is. A few people closest to me have said "it's better this way than seeing a baby but finding out there is no heartbeat".. No matter how true that statement may be, it's really not something I want to hear. It's not comforting. Bottom line is, I fell in love with a baby that doesn't exist, that was supposed to be a tiny little miracle, growing each day inside of my tummy, listening to my heartbeat, falling in love with my heartbeat & my voice.. :( I just don't know how to deal with this. I'm a wreck inside & out :( I can't express how much I appreciate everyone's support. I wish you ladies all the best that life & love & a beautiful little baby can give you ♡
  • Options
    So very sorry. ♡♡♡
  • Options
    Thank you :(
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"