Cloth Diapering
Options

new to cloth diapers

So my little one is 2 and we found out we are expecting another and we want to do cloth diapers. I've been buying from Craigslist to get started and figured I'd start on my 2 year old to get thr most use out of them. I am getting mostly picket diapers.
My question is on toddlers what's the best insert to use. And do you use 2 inserts at once or two?
As for other baby ages like newborn to a year how many inserts did you use at once? I've heard of just one and a second one at nap time? I've been trying to Google for an answer instead but have had a hard time finding an answer.

Re: new to cloth diapers

• Options
    It really depends on how the child pees.....volume and frequency. A child, like mine that pees small amounts and fairly steady can go with a single insert for much longer than a child that holds it and then pees a pond. A child such as the second, could be put in fitteds/pinned flat with no covers and changed as soon as the child wets and go a decent amount of time in the diaper.....a child like mine would be getting changed every 10-15 minutes if left coverless and changed immediately after peeing. Buying a variety of inserts - including flats and prefolds- may be your best bet so you can play around with different combinations of quantities and fibers.

YBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I'm a fan of The Cloth Diaper Tech Support group on Facebook
  • Options
    Also, most diapers that will fit a toddler will not fit a NB until 8-12 weeks, roughly.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Also, most diapers that will fit a toddler will not fit a NB until 8-12 weeks, roughly.

Definitely this. You'll want a separate newborn stash until baby is a couple months old and their little legs chunk up enough to fit in one size (OS) diapers.

And it definitely depends on what type of insert you're using. A lot of people use separate over night (ON) fitted diapers than what is used during the day. My girls (7 months and 2.5yrs) are both in pockets during the day. I stuff must of them with flats so I don't have to worry about whose is whose. The toddler just soaks the flat more than the baby (like PipSqueak mentioned).
                          PitaPata Dog tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I use 2 inserts in both my 3 month old and my 18 month old's diapers. I don't need to for either, usually, but I like the extra security. Usually I use 1 microfiber insert, and something thin for the second, either bamboo or hemp.
    Married 6/18/11
    BFP #1 10/26/12 DS born 6/30/13
    BFP #2 10/30/13 MC 11/25/13
    BFP #3 1/18/14 DS #2 born 10/7/14
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    image   Image and video hosting by TinyPic

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"