Baby Names
Options

Indian names that sound good to an Irish/Australian ear

I'd love some ideas and opinions on names.

I'm Irish, DH is Indian and we live in Australia. I'm 20 weeks pregnant and we've started thinking about names. Indian names just sound better with DHs surname, but we'd like a name that won't baffle English speaking people. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

At the moment we're considering Anjali for a girl (it was DH's Middle name). I'm having a terrible time finding boy names I like. The best we've come up with so far is Rohan - I like that it's also an Irish name, but I worry that it'll seem like a Lord of the Rings reference (I'm a bit of a nerd so people totally might think that!)

Re: Indian names that sound good to an Irish/Australian ear

• Options
    These are probably a mix of more Islamic ones with Hindu or Sikh ones. If so I apologise. Trying to think if people I know from the Indian subcontinent

Kamal
    Hassan
    Naveen
    Mandeep
    Athar
    Hari
    Saeed /Said
    Harilal
    Devdas
    Dev
    Nikhil
    Sanjay
    Sanjeev
    Nitin
    Anil
    Anit
    Amit
    Om
    Kabir
    Vinay (I know one know as Vinny)
    Rajesh
    Ranjeet
    Manish
    Rohit

• Options
    Girl:
    Arya
    Amiya
    Avi
    Dharani
    Ellora
    Daeva
    Hariti
    Ishani
    Khasa
    Lakya
    Lakshmi
    Mahila
    Nidra
    Neha
    Padma
    Priya
    Riya
    Sakra
    Sarisha
    Simi
    Zudora

Boys:
    Amil
    Dhaval
    Halim
    Kavi
    Manu
    Pitar
    Rahul
    Raji
    Shiva
    Sanjiv
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I like Avani, Priya, or Parvati for a girl. Maybe Sanjay for a boy?
    Anniversary 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Anjali was the first one I thought of for a girl as well. Padma is lovely as well. Roshan for a boy? I also like Sanjay for a boy.
  • Options
    I like Sarita and Sumita - pretty and easy to pronounce.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I have heard the name Tasmin for a girl (I'm not sure if that the proper spelling, but it is pronounced Taz-meen) and I liked the sound of it.  Saad is a boy name I have heard (pronounced Sod) and found easy to spell/pronounce.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers 

• Options
    Love Anjali.

I had a friend in college who was Indian by way of England named Rajit.  I don't think he ever had issues with pronunciation.
    June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Rohan and Rahul
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Sorry for the delay in replying, thanks everyone for your suggestions! There are some great names there, many of the girl names in particular are beautiful! I think I need to start referring to my bump with some of these names and see how they sound.
  • Options
    I have to say I like Anjali for a girl and I do like Rohan for a boy. I didn't think lord of the rings until you mentioned it. ;)
  • Options
    I'm not familiar with Indian names but I know a few Indians irl, they're names are:

Unnati- girl, you-not-ee
    Vani- wa-nee, girl
    Bhavin- boy, ba-veen
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"