June 2015 Moms
Options

Bernice???

I am considering naming my DD due june 27 Bernice. I am just afraid that she will hate it when she's older. Some people feel like Bernice is right along the lines of Bertha. What do you guys think?
I also like Beatrice, but DH prefers Bernice to Beatrice.

Re: Bernice???

• Options
    There's a Baby Names board who love this kind of stuff. 
    Community>Specialty>Baby Names. 

I personally hate both Bernice and Bertha. Bertha just sounds very old and for reason i think of an obese woman? I think there's a cartoon or book about Bertha. 
    Beatrice is nice. NN can be Trixie. 

Pregnancy Ticker

EDD: June 10th 2015 ~ Aussie Bumpie~FTM

** June 2015 ~ January Siggy - Pinterest Fails**

• Options
    My friend named their baby Beatrice and call her Bea she's the cutest thing and I love that name. But not a Bernice fan. But who knows it may be one of those names you need to hear enough to get used to it. Maybe just trying referring to your baby as Bernice for a few days and see how it feels
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    A lot of the older style names are making a comeback (Evelyn, Mabel,etc). I prefer Beatrice but Bernice is perfectly fine too.
    BabyFruit Ticker}
  • Options
    Bernice is not my style. I also suggest checking out the baby names board. They love to give name opinions over there.
  • Options
    I think you can do better than Bernice.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    NMS, but the only young Bernice I've known lately (around high school age) is a very nice person so it has good connotations to me.

• Options
    Hmm I hate Bernice a lot ( I'm sorry) I do think Beatrice is okay though and bea is cute- although I feel like
    Beatrice doesn't sound right if you don't have a British or Aussie accent.
  • Options
  • Options
    Personally not a fan of the name Bernice. It reminds me of old women.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I am considering naming my DD due june 27 Bernice. I am just afraid that she will hate it when she's older. Some people feel like Bernice is right along the lines of Bertha. What do you guys think? I also like Beatrice, but DH prefers Bernice to Beatrice.

I think that is a legitimate fear.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Count me on the not a fan of Bernice name train.
    I love Beatrice though. I just taught the sweetest little girl named Beatrice and we called her Bea for short.
  • Options
    Am I the only one that thinks of the movie Dodgeball when I hear the name Bernice? The girl scout on beaver tranquilizers and steroids?
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WQqa6RQdOts

*~Happily Married to my Best Friend!~* 
    TTC #1 since 2012, no luck! 
    4 Rounds of Clomid @ 100mg +Preseed, BFP November 2013!
     MMC January 2014 @ 11w2d
    Laparoscopy/Dye Test August 2014 showed blocked fallopian tubes - both cleared! :D
    BFP September 2014!

It's a BOY! And I'm one happy mom <3

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I love Beatrice NN Bea. That's all I'll say.
  • Options
    Dont care for any of those names.
  • Options
    Bernice is my guilty pleasure name.  I probably wouldn't have the guts to name my own daughter that, but I love it all the same.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I think Bernice is awful. I think Beatrice is not as bad, but still not something I would name my daughter. What about Bethany? It's unique, but not as outdated as Bernice.
  • Options
    Are you having a cow for a baby? If so, then definitely name her Bernice. If not, definitely go with Beatrice.

Proud Mama to cleft cutie <3
  • Options
    Beatrice will be the middle name if baby is a girl. Named for my grandmother who died (at 102!) about a week after my BFP.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Honestly, I LOVE Bernice. She might hate it but most kids end up not liking their name at some point.
  • Options
    My DHs aunts name is Bernice, we all call her aunty Bunny. I also worked with a lady that had the same name and we called her Bunny. It's just an older name if you like it go for it! I'm leaning towards Eileen which was my grams name that I've been in love with that name for years!
  • Options
    Know what, it's your baby to name whatever the heck you want.  Don't worry about what everyone else thinks if you and your DH like it, then that should be good enough.

GSx1 - 05/13/2013
    GSx2 for T&B - EDD 6/21/2015 - They're having a GIRL!

babybaby
    BabyGaga
  • Options

Hmm I hate Bernice a lot ( I'm sorry) I do think Beatrice is okay though and bea is cute- although I feel like
    Beatrice doesn't sound right if you don't have a British or Aussie accent.

An aussie just wouldn't say Beatrice. You would get a NN for sure!

Pregnancy Ticker

EDD: June 10th 2015 ~ Aussie Bumpie~FTM

** June 2015 ~ January Siggy - Pinterest Fails**

• Options
    I'm not personally a fan of either Bernice or Beatrice, but would choose the ladder if forced to do so. I feel like people would call her Bernie if her fn was Bernice. But again, I'm just a stranger with an opinion, so I think if you like it, that's all you.

Married 10/9/2009

The beautiful Royelle Marie born 2/7/2012

Baby #2 coming June 11, 2015 (Scheduled CS)

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I much prefer Bernadette - but either way you can call her Bernie
  • Options
    I'm agreeing with the general consensus that Beatrice works better than Bernice. (More nickname options) But that is my opinion! Good luck deciding!
  • Options
    It is a personal choice. I wouldn't ask a board about a name.... especially one you really like, but isn't popular.

Bernice might not be a name that ever hits the top 100 list.... but if you like it, keep it.

Every girl goes through a "I hate my name" phase. Give her a middle name she can swap with if she so chooses. I didn't like my name for a long time. I had to grow into it.... and now I love it.

So go with what your heart tells you :)
    image image BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    My great-grandmother was Bernice. She was totally awesome, but she was also really old. A lot of names from her generation are making a comeback, so I say go for it! (And it's better than a made-up name)
  • Options
    Berniece turns into Bernie or niecey -sp?. So try that on if you like it then go for it but if you can't stand the nicknames then I .would keep looking
  • Options
    One time I was at lunch with a snarky guy friend and a nicey-nice girl friend. SGF goes on this hilarious rant about how awful the name Bernice is. It didn't occur to me until we parted ways that Bernice is NGF's mom's name. That's my non-advice for the day.
  • Options
    The only upside would be the NN bea. How cute :)
  • Options
    I hope you're truly trying to decide rather than already-have-your-mind-made-up given that nearly all of us (myself included) tend to think old and unappealing with these names. My grandma was Bernice; she was a fine lady, but going thru life with that name these days sounds dreadful... But it matters not what we think, but rather your own perspective. What do YOU think?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"