October 2014 Moms

Water & Pedialyte

The doctor covering for Emma's pediatrician recommended water and/or Pedialyte to help her congestion. She even said I know it sounds crazy...

Is it crazy? Or smart? I am confused because I thought it was no water just BM/Formula?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Water & Pedialyte

• Uhh dunno never heard that. You picked this doctor for a reason though right?? Like you trust her?
  • Never heard it but I'm not a MD.
    Loss Blog (finally updated)

imageimage
    5 cycles of "TTC" - 3 intentional, 2 not so intentional.  5 BFPs.  My rainbow arrived 10/15/14.
    TFMC 08.02.13 at 19+ weeks. Everyday I grieve for my little Olive.

• Loading the player...
  • Did you ask specifically how those things will help with the congestion?

imageimage
    5 cycles of "TTC" - 3 intentional, 2 not so intentional.  5 BFPs.  My rainbow arrived 10/15/14.

• @erawka‌

What's the mechanism by which clear fluids help with congestion? Not a snarky question, I want to learn from your big brain.

imageimage

• Cantisa said:

Thins them out GDF.

ETA: the secretions

Makes sense! Thanks :)

imageimage

• My pedi had me give LO pedialyte for jaundice. Gave it to him for 4 days, starting when he was 11 days old. I was kind of against it at first because BM only for 6 months, but she's been a Dr for a long time and I picked her because of her experience and reputation, so I followed her recommendation. I didn't really get why pedialyte was better than BM, but I'm assuming it was because LO could drink it without really getting full, so it allowed him to get double the amount of fluid in his system (between the BM and pedialyte combined). I'm guessing maybe the same reasoning is behind your pedi's recommendation. Extra fluid intake without overfeeding.
  • I agree with PP I would ask your regular pedi if you are unsure of this Dr's answer. I don't think there is any harm in calling and asking.
  • Makes sense to my non medical brain. I don't drink milk when I'm congested because it seems to thicken up the mucus. Of course I'm adult and would be hesitant to give lo anything else.
  • So I guess I am concerned because
    1.) not my usual pediatrician but she seemed great
    2.) she kind of shrugged and said I could try it and some people have found it helpful. She didn't tell me any specifics about quantity of water or Pedialyte.
    3.) Emma's congestion has been going on on and off since Christmas but she is eating and sleeping okay enough...

I think I am going to wait it out but if it gets worse I will try it. I thought BM was a clear fluid too @erawka another reason why I was like huh.

• G has been congested for a while now (since well be Christmas).  At her 2 month check up, her pediatrician said he wasn't worried about it because her lungs sounded good and it is common for this kind of year.  As long as she is eating and sleeping okay and doesn't have a fever or anything, I would just ride it out.  
    imageLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Have you tried saline, humidifier, nose frieda things like that to help break it up?

When my LO was about 3 weeks, she was still really congested from not getting all of the fluid out after my c/s. My pedi suggested steaming up the bathroom and sitting in there with babe for about 5 minutes over the course of a few days.
    I did it in the morning when she woke up and at night before bed and it cleared up within a few days!

I hope your LO feels better soon :)
  • Aarg said:

Have you tried saline, humidifier, nose frieda things like that to help break it up?

When my LO was about 3 weeks, she was still really congested from not getting all of the fluid out after my c/s. My pedi suggested steaming up the bathroom and sitting in there with babe for about 5 minutes over the course of a few days.
    I did it in the morning when she woke up and at night before bed and it cleared up within a few days!

I hope your LO feels better soon :)

Yes all those things! We steam her once a day, humidifier all night, saline when stuffy :( I am trying!! Poor girl

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"